Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 03:51

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Pregnant with twins

Hi everyone

After TTC since new year we were rewarded with wonderful news: I am pregnant with twins!!!!!!!!!! Incredibly happy!! Especially taking into account that doctors were scaring me with my 50/50 conception chance due to endometriosis

BUT low-carb +cod liver oil does its wonders, with double effect Well, there is also genetic disposition, as my dad's relatives had twins too, but still this is such a miracle, my husband and me are still looking at each other and constantly smiling at what we can do

However it also involved double pressure on my body, we are 6 weeks now, and i feel enormously tired, come back from job and literally fall in bed, sleeping till next morning. Luckily i dont have any sickness, just occasional headaches.

I am on moderate carbs now, but thinking maybe there are some modifications should be done in my diet. I read many positive feedback on keeping carbs up to 40 gramme

Those who experienced this, please share
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 05:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Paleo
Stats: 200/147/135 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

I believe if you are pregnant you should eat at least 50 g Net Carbs daily.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:17

BF:

Thank You, Kay Bee. I plan on adding in more berries and making cocktails with berries and kefir, Yam!

Have just read that this is important for twin pregnancy to consume enough protein:
http://diet.ygoy.com/2008/05/01/twin-pregnancy-diet/

Still much info to be unravelled...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:24

Plan: Dukan and now Atkins
Stats: 132/124/120 Female 161 cm
BF:22%
Progress: 67%

Congrats on the twins.

I have twin girls (they are 10 years old now) but I remember that during the first trimester I wasn't just tired - I was totally and utterly exhausted. I remember falling asleep at my desk at work; luckily I had a very understanding boss and he would just let me go home to sleep! The second trimester I felt a lot better. As long as you know that this is totally normal, I think you can cope with it better. Just look after yourself, up your carbs slightly and sleep as much as you can (and whilst you can; sleep is a rare occurrence once the babies are born!).

Good luck!

Ann
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:27

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm sooo happy for you congrats!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:36

BF:

Thank You Ann. That was quite a news )))

Congratulations with your two girls and even more so with great strength and patience to raise them. Our parents live far from our family, so me and my husband will have to manage all by oursleves

And yes, I feel abnormal exhaustion. Hardly keep me awake at work desk too. Unfortunately I don't have that understanding boss, so have to sleep with open eyes And patiently await the 2nd trimester

Any more specific symptoms I should be prepared too? Surprisingly and luckily enough I don't have any sickness, dreaded by most women
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
I'm sooo happy for you congrats!!

Thank you, Kaylakala

Wishing you good luck with TTC! Cod Liver Oil and Weston Price website really helped with healthy conception
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 07:35

That's so funny, my husband and I lived in Amsterdam at the time, so we had no family support either. I only felt nauseous once, at that was it! The only worrying thing was that the placentas were so big, that they covered the front of my tummy. As there are no nerve endings in the placenta, this meant that my girls were kicking away but I didn't always feel it. I had a few trips to the hospital cos I hadn't felt them for a while. It was so weird, I could see them moving around on the scan but couldn't feel it!

For the rest, the pregnancy was easy. The birth was also normal. As Aimee was engaged, and they are anti ceasarean in Holland, I gave birth naturally. Although I can think of better things to do, I got through it and recovered very quickly.

I put on loads of weight but that was because I was eating for 3! My own fault in other words. I do think though that you shouldn't stress too much about carbs, just cut out the obvious rubbish. Just enjoy your pregnancy. One thing I did every evening was to lie on the floor with my bum against the wall and my legs in the air. It is a great release and also send more oxygenated blood to the placentas.

Would love to hear how you are getting on throughout your pregnancy!

It's Aimee and Olivia's 10th birthday on Monday!

Love, Ann
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 09:38

BF:

Ann, congratulations with coming birthdays of your lil' 2 princesses! May they keep being double blessing to mum & dad, like it happened from their very start

I am very glad to hear that your pregnancy was quite easy. I am reading now the experiences of other twin moms-to-be but to be honest, I stopped reading all of it, cause in the first place it was giving me negative perception (seeing all these complications ladies report) and in the 2nd place we are all individual, so I will trust my body After all we are never laiden with more then we can manage

I did stop counting carbs, just choosing low-glycemic ones, spelt flour, berries, fruit. This is too early to judge how it affects my weight gain, as I'm still early in pregnancy, so stay on one mark still, luckily

Thank you for the leg-lifting tip, I am already implementing this one. Apart from this have you been engaged in any type of stretching, pregnancy exercising?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 14:54

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Eos thank you for th link to that site!! Really valuable
information!!
Once again congrats on your pregnanacy!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 02:07

BF:

You are welcome, Kaylakala Chris Kresser also has a lot of info related to conception & pregnancy. I didnt buy his cds, but you can download for free his podcast with Questions & Answers. http://healthybabycode.com/landing/hbc

I am bit uneasy now, I have spotting for over one week now I did contact my doctor, he said it is quite common. As long as this is not heavy or painful it is ok in the 1st trimester. But still I am fidgeting...

My next ultrasound is 4th July, counting seconds...
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 18:16
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Congratulations!! I am pregnant and low carbing as well.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 06:10

Hi Eos
Sorry for not responding- Yesterday was Aimee and Olivia's 10th birthday and I feel like I've done a marathon! Did not eat any cake or other birthday/children food rubbish! Their proper party is on Sunday (horse riding), so I'm not out of the woods yet.
The only other stretching/exercise thing I did during pregnancy was pre-natal yoga. I loved it. It was also good to speak with other pregnant women - although I was the only one with a multiple pregnancy. The legs up the wall thing I learned in yoga.
Have fun and SLEEP! while you can!
Ann