Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question sugar twin

does anyone else out there find sugar twin to make things taste bitter? I have used it in several recipes and everything I've used it in comes out tasting bitter instead of sweet. What's up with that? Surely it is not supposed to be that way, is it?
Tama
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 21:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi Tama ...

In the US, Sugar Twin is made with aspartame/nutrasweet. Aspartame is notorious for losing its sweetness when exposed to heat for a length of time (eg, baking) or to air, so a recipe you make today will taste less sweet tomorrow, and even less sweet the next day. That's why diet soda will also taste less sweet a day after opening the bottle.

Most artificial sweeteners that we use in powder form, whether it's in the little paper packets or the bulk form in boxes or jars, which we scoop and measure like sugar ... are blended with maltodextrin, which is a carbohydrate spun from corn. One tiny dot of aspartame is enough sweetener for your recipe, but you can't measure a tiny dot!! So, it's mixed with maltodextrin which has a similar look as sugar, and you can measure it with a spoon. This is the same for sucralose/Splenda. Some folks find that the maltodextrin lends an "off' taste, especially if your recipe calls for a large amount of sweetener ... ½ cup or more.

I find that mixing two sweeteners together is helpful for eliminating bitter aftertaste ... and you can use less sweetener over-all, so you save money. For example, a recipe calls for 10 packets of Sweetener A. Try mixing 4 packets Sweetener A with 4 packets Sweetener B. Or whatever is the measurement.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-01, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks, Doreen! That does help me out. I'll try that. I am learning so much from the forum, I appreciate it.

hugs, Tama
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-01, 12:14

Plan: Dietician's diet
Stats: 141/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi I am new here but I was just wondering if you had ever tried Stevia, it is a herb that you can use to sweeten foods and drinks. It is available in health food stores in a powder form and it is pretty good! There are also cookbooks on using Stevia in recipes too. I am only allowed to use Stevia and also brown rice syrup which is great tasting. You use the brown rice syrup in the same measurements as sugar or honey and it is delicious.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi Lizzie

Most of us here are following a restricted carbohydrate eating plan .. for health and weight loss reasons. Even those who are following more liberal, higher carb programs are NOT consuming sugar of any kind. Brown rice syrup and honey are SUGAR. Period.

The rice syrup has 10.5g carbs per Tbsp (15ml) ... and because it's less sweet, there may be a tendency to use more. Honey has 17g carb per Tbsp. There is no fiber, protein or other nutrients, except possibly some trace elements in honey, if it's raw and unprocessed. They may sound "healthy" .. but the bottom line is they are just empty carb-calories.

I've read another post of yours elsewhere, that you have yeast-related health concerns. Sugar is the WORST thing you could consume, because yeasts thrive on it. Sugars and processed starches ... white flour, white rice, white potatoes, white bread, etc ... are like a smorgasbord for yeastie-beasties in your intestinal tract! So remember everytime you eat bread, chips or a muffin ... you're not just feeding YOU

For more information about sugar and sweeteners, including stevia ... read my article Sweetener Information, which you can find by clicking on Low Carb Tips from the orange menu bar at the top.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 13:08

Plan: Dietician's diet
Stats: 141/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Doreen! I am reading more and more on these forums which is really helping me. I didn't know that brown rice syrup has that many carbs in it ... YIKES! I am to keep my carbs very low but the nutritional counselor that I see every month only introduces a few things at a time for me to try and see how I am. I only used the brown rice syrup in a waffle recipe that I have so it was only a small amount thank God! I reached my weight goal but I know how easy it is to put it back on and I am watching that also, but boy did I fall off the wagon this past weekend! Just how do you get rid of the cravings? I asked this in another post but I don't know if anyone answered it or not. Also how is Stevia, is that sweetener okay? I hardly use it, sometimes a little sprinkle in my oatmeal, but lately I have just been using unsweetened applesauce to sweeten it. I am also only allowed pears, apples, white grapefruit, oranges, lemons, limes, and any types of berries to eat for fruit. She keeps adding a little each time but the last two times I haven't added anymore. She had me add Miso, Tamari, Sesame Tahini (I don't have recipes for the tahini) and now this Friday I have allergy food testing so I wonder what they will find out now. Do you ever suffer with alot of pain and spasms in your muscles whenever you mess up on your diet from you fibro? Thanks for your help, you are a sweetie!