Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/000/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 225%
Default 3 weeks on Induction and still no energy

I might just be an idealist, but I thought that a switch over to a low carb diet would give me an energy boost, but so far I haven't really noticed a difference. I feel tired all the time and it's a major struggle to get to the gym - although when I'm there I do have a little more stamina for the cardio equipment.

I do suffer from depression, and have done for years, so perhaps this is hindering the energy boost I was expecting to get. I also have sleep apnoea which could be another cause of the tiredness. It's annoying though; if I'm not woken up I can quite easily sleep 12 hours straight, and still feel tired afterwards!

Anyone know of any foods or recipes which are particularly good for giving your system an energy boost?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 16:41

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

It can take time for your body to adjust to LC and some people never get that extra energy, some just gain more endurance, or need less sleep.

You can try using coconut oil for extra energy.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 17:17

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I upped my greens, including a big salad for breakfast, plus loads more greens elsewhere in the diet.. and that boosted my energy.. I am currently trying a diet devised by a doctor with MS, which directly feeds the mitochondria (energy cell) of the muscle. You can read about it on this page of my journal, ending at the lists of vegetables:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...6&postcount=181

Also, make sure you're getting enough fat or oil in your diet. I add plenty of olive oil to my salads, and once your body gets more used to burning fats, you'll feel better.

In terms of the gym, I suggest that you write this query in the exercise forum, where there are a lot of people who will have found solutions to this issue. You could try having your highest carb meal before you go, but I am sure you'll get better ideas than that in the exercise forum.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sun, Apr-22-12 at 17:36.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 17:58

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

It helps to see what you are eating and how much. Are you eating hidden carbs? Are you eating enough? That sort of thing ...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 03:00

Stats: 225/000/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 225%

I'm definitely not eating enough, that's for sure! I know you're meant to have 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, whereas I'm lucky if I have 2 meals and 1 snack. Perhaps that's the problem, I'm not taking in enough nutrients to give me the energy I need. I'm just not hungry anymore though, and I don't like forcing myself to eat!