Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/160/145 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default 2 days in and liver hurts

i've just started a zero carbs diet. two days in and my liver is sore. and i'm rather achey. i'm a little worried as the pain seems very much to be coming from my liver. could this be related to the diet? if so is there something i should do?

I should add that the day i started, i got back from a long haul flightso i was a little jetlagged. however, felt alright.

grateful for your help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:21
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

its probably not your liver.
can you describe it a little better?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

sounds like induction flu... the carbs/toxins leaving your body.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:25

BF:
Progress:

back lower left side. not very painful. just uncomfortable - a little like its bloated back there. In addition there is a small pain when you push on the left side but not on the right that does seem mussel related. In addition i have a small cramp like pain in upper left shoulder. in general very week, and shakey.

then again, i could well be over reacting..... i've just not done a zero carb before and this feeling seems to coincide with starting.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Starting low carb is a pretty dramatic shift for the body. Your body has to go from burning sugar primarily to burning fats and it takes awhile before it has the right enzymes being produced etc.

If you feel really yucky, you might want to ease into it more. Raise your fruits/veggies and lower your carb count gradually over a few weeks.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:45
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Sounds like induction flu. Your liver is to the right of the midline of the abdomen. If you press right below the bottom of the rib cage on your right side you'll be putting pressure on it.
Denise
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 13:51

BF:
Progress:

Dow!! that settles it then - i'm just being a big girl's blouse!!! and there i was thinking the liver was on the left. I'll go and eat an apple and stop whining.

thanks

thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 14:14

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

an apple?

#9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 14:16
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Could also be a bladder infection. I've been know to arrive home from a long flight with that kind of pain and find myself at the doctors office a couple of days later with a bladder infection. The first time it happened I thought it was a kidney infection!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 14:17

BF:
Progress:

following the advice of Nancy to go gradual with carb reduction.... or maybe i should stick with total cold turkey??
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 15:06

Plan: Atkins -- high fat
Stats: 172/154/136 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You said you're doing zero carbs? You need 3 cups of salad a day, maybe a little non-starchy fruit (berries, melon), along with your fats and proteins.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 15:10
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_muzz
back lower left side. not very painful. just uncomfortable - a little like its bloated back there. In addition there is a small pain when you push on the left side but not on the right that does seem mussel related. In addition i have a small cramp like pain in upper left shoulder. in general very week, and shakey.

then again, i could well be over reacting..... i've just not done a zero carb before and this feeling seems to coincide with starting.

Your liver is on your right side....so you can breath a sigh of relief, it's not your liver!

More than likely, if you were on some long-haul flights, you're muscles are achy from not moving around much.....or your descending colon is a bit full with the dietary changes - have you been going to the bathroom regularly since starting?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 21:48

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Sounds like it could be your kidneys more than your liver because as the others posted.....your liver is on your right side. Could be a number of things such as an infection, induction flu, or you might even have pulled a muscle without noticing it. If it doesn't get better soon....maybe you should make an appointment with your doctor.