Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 06:22
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Egg business gets cracking

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc.../8481859.htm?1c

Egg business gets cracking

ORANGE GROWERS, PASTA MAKERS ALSO AFFECTED

By Lori Aratani

Mercury News

The potatoes have disappeared from Andrea Boyle's shopping cart. The Union City woman loves a good spud as much as anyone, but they're a no-no on her low-carb Atkins diet.

But eggs -- now those are a different story. One, hard-boiled, with half a grapefruit in the morning, is just what she needs to get her day started and hopefully drop the 10 pounds she wants to shed.

Careful eaters like Doyle are reversing the fortunes of egg farmers like Paul Bahan of Riverside, helping to boost a business roiled by changes in breakfast habits and concerns about cholesterol.

``We're all for it -- most definitely,'' Bahan said. ``Business for egg ranchers is very, very good.''

At the same time, the low-carb, high-protein push that promises rapid weight loss has put the nation's potato farmers -- as well as orange growers, bakers and pasta makers -- on the defensive.

Atkins proponents point to french fries and potato chips as examples of what's wrong with America's diet, said Frank Muir, president and CEO of the Idaho Potato Commission, but that's not quite fair. ``This has put potatoes in a false light.''

Of course, other factors play into the jump in egg sales and the drop in potato prices. But a recent survey by the National Bread Leadership Council found that 21 percent of Americans are on a low-carb diet. The effect can be seen in everything from bunless burgers to ad campaigns for light beer to a 4.7 percent drop in potato consumption from 2002 to 2003.

In February -- coincidentally, Potato Lover's Month -- the U.S. Potato Board launched a $4 million campaign aimed at reminding consumers that potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals. The industry has joined forces with Weight Watchers to pitch the positive side of a balanced diet.

``We as potato producers have been remiss in not doing enough advertising to show the benefits,'' said California potato farmer John Cross, ticking off potato stats by heart: One medium potato has 45 percent of your daily vitamin C and 21 percent of your daily potassium. That's more potassium than in one banana.

Small growers like Cross, who grows russets near the Oregon border on the same farm where his father grew them, are feeling the pinch.

To break even, Cross must sell a 100-pound bag of potatoes for about $8. Right now the going rate is $4.50 to $5 a bag.

Cross has been in the spud business for almost a decade, so he's grown accustomed to the vagaries of the market -- the years with no water, the times when disease and pests wreak havoc. He remembers when there were as many as 25,000 acres in the Klamath Basin devoted to potatoes. Today potatoes are grown on less than half that acreage.

For him, it's difficult enough fighting for space with the Idahos of the world -- without having restaurants like TGI Friday's add to his headaches with their ``low-carb'' steak dinner that substitutes broccoli for the baked potato.

But some think -- hope -- the carb craze is just a phase.

``I think these things are somewhat faddish and short-lived,'' sniffed Pete Belluomini, president of the Kern County Farm Bureau, in the heart of California's potato country.

``It would be nice if someone came up with the potato diet -- if someone went on Oprah and talked about how they lived to be 110 on the potato diet,'' Belluomini said. ``That would be great.''

The Atkins Diet, introduced by Dr. Robert Atkins in 1972, is the best known of the low-carbohydrate diets. Atkins and others -- including the South Beach Diet, the Caveman Diet and the Zone Diet -- encourage folks to replace carbs with protein. The idea is that limiting carbs will force your body to burn stored fat and help you lose weight. Other health professionals argue that the key to successful long-term weight loss is reducing the number of calories and exercising regularly.

But you won't hear any complaints from California's egg ranchers, whose hens can't come close to producing enough eggs to cover the demand for omelets and over-easies -- hold the hash browns, of course.

Bahan, the egg farmer, has even noticed the deviled eggs he brings to parties are a bigger hit than ever before.

``The Atkins Diet has helped a lot,'' said Bahan, who has about 700,000 birds on his farm in Riverside, where he also grows oranges and Christmas trees.

According to the Pacific Egg and Poultry Association, per-capita egg consumption has increased from 251.7 per person in 2002 to 254.1 in 2003. And officials expect it to be even higher for 2004.

Atkins isn't the only reason, of course. Eggs got a huge boost in 2000 when the American Heart Association revised its dietary guidelines to recommend an egg a day, rather than three to four per week.

Don Bell, a University of California professor who analyzes the state's poultry market, said it would be difficult to pin down a single reason for the trend. But even he's taken aback by the influence of low-carb craze.

``I've never seen a fad that came along as quite as fast as low-carb diets have,'' Bell said. ``Eggs are going to benefit as this particular fad goes along. That is, until someone says it's not all it's cracked up to be.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Lori Aratani at laratani~mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5531.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 06:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Awesome.

I wasn't a big egg eater before this diet, but now I'm eating at least 3 each day.

I was also a VERY big potato eater, but haven't touched one in 4 months.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:52

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I hadn't eaten an egg [not including those already baked into Breads and such] since 1989...I started eating them again when I went on this diet in 2002. That's 13 years of not eating Eggs.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 09:02

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

The professor who doesn't understand the influence of the low-carb thing is probably just looking at how little money has been spent promoting Atkins, etc. He doesn't recognize the power of word of mouth-- that so many of us got to LC because we have friends/family who did it, and it worked. Period.

I think potato farming has an incredibly interestin and complex history. It's discussed in "the Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan.

From Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...295802?v=glance: "His excellent discussion of the potato combines a history of the plant with a prime example of how biotechnology is changing our relationship to nature. As part of his research, Pollan visited the Monsanto company headquarters and planted some of their NewLeaf brand potatoes in his garden--seeds that had been genetically engineered to produce their own insecticide. Though they worked as advertised, he made some startling discoveries, primarily that the NewLeaf plants themselves are registered as a pesticide by the EPA and that federal law prohibits anyone from reaping more than one crop per seed packet. And in a interesting aside, he explains how a global desire for consistently perfect French fries contributes to both damaging monoculture and the genetic engineering necessary to support it."

He also provides the history of the potato in Ireland, and how economic forces caused the devastation of the potato famine, etc. Good read.

I do feel sympathy for farmers whose crops are suffering on the market, because I come from farmers. At the same time, there are ethical problems with the overconsumption (and overproduction) of potatoes. Some people benefit from eating potatoes, but not me, and not most of the thousands of obese Americans.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 10:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I feel sorry for the farmers who haven't gotten a clue yet. They're going to need to shift to some thing else to keep their profits up. If they keep telling themselves its a fad year after year, they're going to be out of business.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:57

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

The problem is that it's very difficult and EXPENSIVE to change crops, especially for farmers who only work with one or two crps as it is.

My uncle is slowly cutting tobacco production out of his farm-- he's still making profits on it, but has chosen for moral reasons not to grow it anymore. The problem is not just getting the machinery and chemicals to support a different crop in those fields, but purchasing the basis from the government-- I don't understand the whole procedure, but it takes a lot of money and time just to get the paperwork pushed through. Luckily, he lives in a region where the soil can support a lot of different crops. I have no idea what grows in Idaho besides potatoes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 11:04

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Ive always loved eggs! They are yummy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 15:53

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

#9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: no sugar/no flour/no tran
Stats: 172/145/140 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default shirred eggs

I do realize this is not a recipe forum but I have been a lot happier since I discovered shirred eggs. They are incredibly adapable. Pre-heat oven to 350 F, crack an egg or 2 into a little buttered ramekin, add a little cream, a little cheese, some herbs (or maybe grated citrus zest), salt and pepper, bake for 12-13 minutes and there you have it. Experiment with the cheeses and herbs you like and vary cooking time according to how runny you like your eggs. I could have this every day and never get tired of it. If my output is runny I just sip it from the ramekin - wow - what a comfort food!

Minna