Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:04

Plan: body for life
Stats: 113/113/100
BF:21.8
Progress: 0%
Default bfl and ckd

Hi everyone, I have a question that has brought me out of lurking.

Has anyone incorporated bfl workouts with the ckd diet. I am currently on week 8 of bfl and haven't seen any progress. I have started doing the bfl workouts using the ckd diet. To be honest I don't know if I should be doing ckd or tkd. I have read all I can on the ckd or tkd that I can find online. I have tried to order the book from amazon but its not in stock.

If anyone has done this have they seen any results? I am so scared to carb up on the weekend now that I have been eating so much fat. I am a bit concerned that I am not in ketosis. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell or any way to make yourself go into ketosis quicker? I have to admit that I know about the ketostix. I have them and they aren't showing anything. I also do not have a funny taste in my mouth. I stopped eating carbs saturday night. Does it take this long to get into ketosis? My carbs haven't gone over 30 g. I know this is still quite high but I am getting there. There is some discretions using fitday and other sources of how many carbs I have been eating. 30 g is pushing it though.

Hope there is someone out there who can help.

Thanks

Shy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:18
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up Clearing things up

Hi Shygirl well lets start chale we.

Ok first go to your drug store and buy some ketostix, that will get you set up and you can see if your in ketosis or not.

I have the body for life book at home to and didnt find it very intersting.

I guess your main goal is fatloss, so i would stick with the CKD, BodyOpus, ketogenic diet, thats what worked best for me.

Now for your carb-up, i know how you feel been there done that, the trick is to carb-up no more then 12 hours, by doing so Saturday night you should be back low carbing and on Monday back into ketosis.

Different signs of ketosis, your urine will smell, a lot, metalic taste in your mouth, feeling foggy, dizzy. Dont worry your body will ajust.

On CKD you should hit the gym on Sunday with a good cardio workout, then Monday and Tuesday weight training, usually Legs, back and biceps on Monday and Chest, delts and triceps on Tuesday, if you have the energy get a cardio after weight training too, and for the rest of the week, this will be hell the first few weeks.

You need to count calories, this is very important too, this is another reason the keto diet works a charme.

You dont need to eat 6 times a day has the BFL tells you too, your goal is to reach ketosis has fast has you can 3 meals a day is quit enough.

I drink a whey protein shake with omega 3-6-9 and ALA capsule first thing in the morning, then i eat 3-4 saussiges with 1-2 strips of bacon, usually for supper i eat some eggs and bacon or cheese.

I currently weight 212 pounds down from 220 last week, i know my diet is quit boring but it works.

I cant train right now because i am still recovering from a lower back injury, i would have lost more of i could have trained.

Using a fatburner and drinking 3 cups of green tea will speed things up too.

After doing all of this i would be very surprised if you dont start burning fat like crazy.

Good luck, dont go crazy with the scale, use the mirror and clothes to juge your progress.

One time the scale was not moving at all i was stuck at 200 pounds i got very angry, after getting into a pair of jeans i never tought i could i got to see that the scale isnt always right.

Goodluck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 01:27

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

BFL should be OKish with CKD but I have the feeling that this only holds true for men.
Women generally use less glycogen than men do and I guess that carb up rules don't apply to the same extent.
At least, I gained so much weight in the weekend (even when NOT overeating more than recommended) that I'd only lose that weight by the next weekend.

Furthermore : carbups gave me wild water retention swings.. you pee like mad 1-2 days after going back to strict keto.

So, I switched to TKD and had waaaay more carbs, but only before and after workouts and if the session is longer than 45 mins, also during workouts (like during bike rides).

This works very well for me and in the weekend I eat less extra carbs... and feel a lot more energetic on strenuous workouts.

However, I still didn't lose weight.. eventually I did 2 things:
- lower calorie intake to 22 g/kg BW (10 kcal/lbs) , apparently my metabolism is just way too slow
- take ephedrine with caffeine 1-3 times /day (depending on how strenuous my exercise would be I take more with little exercise and less with a lot to avoid 'overheating' )

Good luck

Fietser
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default CKD not with BFL

If you look at the CKD info here or out on the web you will see that CKD is NOT a diet - it has a set exercise plan with it for the purposes of glycogen, etc. Because BFL calls for three hard workouts a week you would probably in trouble (as in weak workouts) by the time you hit your Wednesday workout. Now the multiple workouts could work with a TKD since you are providing the needed carbs for each of the three workouts. Also, TKD will help with your carb-up question/problem since there are NO carb-ups with TKD.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 09:38

Plan: body for life
Stats: 113/113/100
BF:21.8
Progress: 0%

Thanks for replying guys. I am so discouraged. For two years I have been going to the gym 6 days a week. I started my journey at 105 and 19% bf. My intention was to tone up. Now I am 116 and about 22% bf. It just keeps getting worse. I just cant figure my body out. Am I eating too much, not enough,overtraining, not enough cardio. I am going to go freaking mad. argggg

Whatever.......I guess I will need to give it another couple of weeks to see it the keto diet will work for me. Like I said in my previous post the keto book is on back order from amazon. I will go back and read all the sticky post 101. If I can't find the answers there I hope I can bother you guys again.

Thanks for listening to me bitch.

Shy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 16:23

No bitch..

perhaps you did overtrain.. in any case you should change routines every 2-3 months just to prevent from getting mentally and 'physically' bored .
I just have very slow metabolism, and had to decrease my food intake more than I thought necessary and use little helpers.

Your BF% isn't too bad at all! But are you getting enough protein?

Fietser
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Question Whats up with that bitch stuff

Why in the hell would you call fiester a bitch, she is one of the nicest person on this board???
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:02

Yannick you misread the message of Shegirl . she said that she was 'bitching' (complaining, interesting that you make a noun into a verb ?) "Thanks for listening to me bitch" ... and I briefly answered "no bitch" in order to say that shygirl had every right in the world to complain!
I would do so too... and actually I did! I moaned and groaned when after 2 months I stalled for the next 2 months... but then I stalled at 32% BF.

Shygirl might have the same problem.. though I think her bodyfat % is quite OK! However, I guess that nobody is ever satisfied with his/her body, right?

I can't say for sure what her problem is, but I guess that shygirl hasn't been eating enough carbs and didn't jack up the caloric intake in the weekend.
As sinful as it seems, it has a purpose to radically increase both the calorie and the carb intake in the weekend: carbs to replenish glycogen stores and calories to shock the body into realizing that 'hey it is not in starvation mode after all' and nudge it to go back to a higher metabolism.

So, it seems that your metabolism has slowed down too much... I'm quite curious to know how many calories you've been eating both during the week and in the weekend!
May I guess that it was less than 10-11 kcal/lb of bw? and that you didn't eat 10x your body weight in grams of carbs on Saturday either?

Now I'm writing this, I think that my own caloric intake during the week may have been too high, so that the extra calories on 'junkday' were overkill.

Just wondering out loud... .

Fietser