Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question % body fat

Does anyone know how accurate the body fat calculators are? I used the one at Health Central and it calculated me at 29% (ideal 22%) and said I should lose 20 pounds of body fat. However, my weight is 215 and the tables say I should lose 70 pounds!

I'm sure that the 70 pounds would be more accurate. Is there any way to accurately calculate my % of body fat?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 12:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Peg

There are a few formulas for calculating body fat and lean body mass. If you have a copy of the Eades Protein Power there is one in there. Alternatively here is a link to a calculator that's pretty accurate. It will provide your body fat % and if you fill out all the information, it will generate a chart with your lean body mass, required calories/protein/fat/carbs based on how many cal/pound you supply (rule of thumb is 10 to 12 times your weight for calories and at least .6 g protein per pound). It is quite accurate.

CKD Parameter Calculator

You may find as you lose LCing that you'll have to adjust your goal weight. With this WOE you lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat and yet occupies less space. You find yourself weighing more but taking up less space.

Best of luck
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: Attkins
Stats: 210/198/165 Female 5'6 1/2''
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Hi Peg

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
With this WOE you lose body fat and gain lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat and yet occupies less space. You find yourself weighing more but taking up less space.

[/B]

So, should we actually measure and watch the measurements. Weight could be deceptive is we are gaining muscle and loosing fat.

??

Karen Mc
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 20:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is the best advice I've received on that topic, and it's no coincidence it came from Karen. "Don't worry about your goal. If you reach it and you're not happy about it, or if you find you want to stop before your there, you've got it made either way. "

Based on measurements combined with weights I've had from past attempts at weight loss and some playing around with the calculator I've upped my goal to 162. Should I find myself at 170 with the measurements I want then I will stop there. It's a personal decision. You'll know when you feel good in your skin.

That being said, please keep taking your measurements, it's a great motivator for those times when the scales just wont move!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 20:23

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Karen,
Yes, take measurements! The scale can be very tricky sometimes and I prefer taking measurements. Also, if you haven't already done so, take a before picture. When you see your after pic, you won't believe your eyes! Best of luck to you!

Linda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 20:54

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default weight charts

I just wanted to add that the charts that are designed by the insurance companies to tell us what a healthy weight is DO NOT take into account muscle mass ... and I feel that they are all TOO low.

Getting bodyfat to a healthy level and feeling good about yourself are much better goals than focusing on the scale. Pictures, measurements, and the good ol' "old jeans" method are also other methods you can use in conjunction with bodyfat.

to demonstrate how "off" those charts are, look my stats up. I am 6'3" and hovering around 230 lbs ... with about 13% bodyfat (I am bulking up ...)

Those charts have me WAY overweight, but there is no way that I am unhealthy. See what I mean?

Just my 2 cents ...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 22:25

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default So THAT's why you have no head....

...you cut it off to fit into the body chart parameters, eh? I knew there was a reason....

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 22:36

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Unhappy Weight and BMI charts....

Peg, I share your frustration with these tables and charts. Various weight tables tell me I "should" weigh anything from 110 to 135. Various body fat calculations tell me I have anything from 95 to 105 pounds of lean body mass. Probably somewhere in the middle is about right.....

I can get obsessed with these figures as easily as I get obsessed with the scale. I figure I'll know it's time to stop losing weight when I can't grab handfuls of fat anymore. (OK, LITTLE handfuls might be allowable!) I find the best way to calculate my progress is with a too-small pair of jeans. My 'old' too-small ones are now too big, so I know I've done SOMETHING right, even though the scales move ssslllloooowwwwllllllllyyyyyyyy..........

Rachel