Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:22

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default More paleo fats?

Help.
As I get more and more paleo in my eating habits, I notice that I tend to eat nothing but lean meats, olives, a few veggies, salad greens with oil and vinegar dressing, and some berries.

The problem is, it takes too much lean protein to fill me up. 'Normal' low carbers dunk their chicken breast in blue cheese dressing or mayo, melt cheese over everything that will stand still, and if they don't put cheese on it they cover it in butter. I have no problem conceptually with that, but its isn't paleo.

MY body doesn't like dairy. For the first year in my whole life, I am having the teensiest drippy nose during this insane spring, instead of being knocked flat with allergies. I'm getting the correlation. I'm willing to comply. I just need more ideas.

I eat some bacon and some sausage which is nicely high fat but way too salty to eat often.

Where else do you guys get enough fat without dairy?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Would ghee be enough dairy free to be useful?

Another thing I like to do is save fat from fatty things and reuse it on veggies. I've got a thing of fat drippings from a duck I made and some bacon fat drippings too.

Mayo should be ok, right? It doesn't usually have dairy products in it.

How about making something from egg yolks? I like to make sauces or custards out of them.

I also like avocados and macadamia nuts. Both super high in fat. I made avocado butter once, it was delicious. You could use ghee in place of the butter.

Just curious but why so much lean protein? How about getting some fattier cuts? Pork shoulder roasts, duck, chicken with skin left on, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:33

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

If you like coconut, coconut cream is an excellent addition to lots of recipes.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 12:37

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I eat some bacon and some sausage which is nicely high fat but way too salty to eat often.

Where else do you guys get enough fat without dairy?

Have you tried an uncured bacon, such as Wellshire Farms Black Forest dry rubbed? It is leaner, but still has plenty of fat, which can be saved for adding to other items. It is also lower in salt.

I've been eating the fattier cuts of meats as well. Chicken wings and thighs instead of breast, fattier steaks, and natural (less salty) sausages.

Virgin coconut oil is so good you can eat it with a spoon. Yum.

Just a couple of ideas. I'm not one to go out and buy lard or tallow to eat, but seems to be very effective for some people.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 13:12

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I pour olive oil on EVERYTHING.

I eat nut butters by the spoonful for dessert.

You could try making yourself a smoothie snack - coconut milk, egg yolk, berries, something sweet (I use stevia), spoonful of nut butter, maybe some avocado to make it even more creamy - very high fat.

If you're doing something like making a lean chicken breast, try marinating it in olive oil/vinegar/seasonings for at least 2 hours first. Makes it moister and more flavorful, plus adds some fat.

Bread your meat with crushed pork rinds.

Make your own mayo and make meat salads out of it, or flavor it with herbs and dunk things into it. I made my own mayo using light olive oil and it worked really well...no overpowering olive taste.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 14:33

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

coconut oil, avocado, olives, egg yolks, start eating dark meat poultries, sardines, lamb, organs (brain is particularly fatty) Fat is so important, and there are so many wonderful ways to get it
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 14:36

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't expect so many on a Saturday!

Why lean meats? First, because I still have a lot in my freezer. We have a great meat service in this part of the world. It isn't quite organic but drug free and grain finished instead of all grain all the time and prices that come out very competitive with the regular store, as opposed to all grass fed, which is a little too pricey right now. They don't carry duck or lamb unfortunately.

Also because the meat we order comes individually packaged, and the boneless skinless or pork tenderlion defrosts in just a few minutes in cold water. The convenience makes all the difference in eating properly at home vs going out too often. I'm working on switching to boneless skinless thighs, but the DH doesn't like them much.

I'll have to try ghee again. I didn't care for it before, but I was still eating butter. I just don't eat enough veggies other than salad to have something obvious to put it on.

I'm sensitive to arachidonic acid so I have to watch my egg consumption, but I should definitely try some egg yolk and almond milk custards.

I haven't been able to find an uncured bacon that I like locally. I've tried both the ones I can get at. bleh!

I have bacon fat and duck fat. Its just that I really like grilling in season. Convenient, fast, and minimal clean up all without heating up the house, so I can't think of good ways to use that lovely fat.

Kallyn, do you have a mayo recipe that you like? I've never liked mayo, even when I make it myself, but I keep trying different recipes because it would be so helpful if I managed to get one I liked.

I loathe avocados. I don't like macadamia nuts either. I know, I'm a mutant.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely get on some of them.

I do use a lot of coconut right now, but something is messing up my system and this coming week is going to be coconut free to see if thats it. I already tried ditching almonds or peanut butter and that didn't do it. I'm already gluten, soy, and cassein free, so that isn't it either. I hate food allergies!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 15:11

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

If you prefer grilling meats, I think that marinating in olive oil/vinegar would be great (can even marinate overnight). If you don't have the time to do that, maybe you could make some sauces for drizzling over the meat. (EDIT: like this one http://www.recipezaar.com/65212) Or even just grill it like usual and then drizzle olive oil on it (like the way some people cook a steak and then serve it with a pat of butter melted on top).

I hate just eating avocados too (blech!) but if I put some avo in a smoothie I don't really notice it.

What kind of veggies do you eat other than salad greens? Might give us some better ideas on how to gussy them up.

Here's my mayo recipe. It's also over on the recipe thread:

MAYONNAISE
-------------

1 large egg
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbl raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup light olive oil

Whiz everything but the oil in the food processor for 30 seconds. Then while the motor's still running start adding the oil - but BE CAREFUL. At first, only put it in 1-2 drops at a time. After you've got 10 drops in there, start pouring it in by the 1/2 teaspoon. Then by the tablespoon. And finally when you have a little less than 1/2 cup of the oil left, you can start just pouring it in in a thin stream. This made a thick creamy mayo that I was licking off of the food processor blades.

Last edited by kallyn : Sat, May-19-07 at 15:19.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 16:11

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:

Avocados
Beef fat trimmings (free from the butcher)
Macadamia nuts when they're in the house
Fresh/frozen coconut when it's in the house
Chocolate
Pork, beef, other fatty meat
etc.

I think I'd feel really sickly if I didn't eat lots of fat with my after-fasting meal. Fat adds needed calories easily.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 16:28
Experimenter

BF:

Are you eating any coconut flour? I think that was getting my gut messed up.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 18:31

BF:

Nancy, I just returned from WFs, saw the coconut flour, though of you, and then thought maybe I'd better not get it. I'd probably end up eating too much of it! One of the few things that I truly miss from eating nonPaleo is rice pudding. Your paleo porridge reminded me of that.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 09:42
Experimenter

BF:

There are worse things. The coconut flour is VERY low calorie because it is basically fiber, at least the kind I buy. And I have a feeling your body will tell you if you eat too much of it.

What was the price on the coconut flour? I think I was paying about $7-$8 for a 2 pound bag.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 10:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What was the price on the coconut flour? I think I was paying about $7-$8 for a 2 pound bag.

You know, I didn't even look at the price (a bad habit of mine). But I'll check the next time I'm there. It's my second home.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 06:18

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Lard, anyone? Salted with spring onions is my best snack ever. Or fried with skin, chips substitute.
And like Nancy I keep used animal fats for further cooking.

Bat Spit, if you are worried of arachidonic acid intake, eat more fatty fish, like salmon or mackerel covered with butter; as well as drink very rich fish broths, adding also butter.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 06:25

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 243/179/179 Male 5-11
BF:

My main two sources of fat in my diet are bacon and hamburger.
I really have a hard time eating a fatty piece of meat, that is why I like hamburger, the fat is all evenly distributed.

Avocados is another source for me also.
I am not sure on this, but doesn't chicken skin contain a lot of fat?