Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 14:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Coco- it can be hard to find that healthy balanced place in the middle! I've had to really sift through what that looks like for myself over this past year of loosing weight. I think that your pendulum has swung wide in two opposite directions- too much control and not enough control. Personally, I think this is actually a kind of healthy progression, because it is giving you information about yourself and what you want your boundaries to be. You've learned from experience what you don't want things to look like, where eating is concerned, so now you are a whole lot wiser about what you DO want things to look like. Pat yourself on the back!!! Really, you have a lot to feel proud of because you are trying to take the best care of you that you know how to do, which means working to bring yourself back to the middle, when you discovered you'd gone too far out on the edges.

So, what to do now? If it was me, I'd start by putting some structure back into my life- like starting out with maybe a plan for my meals for the day or the week. But, I'd make sure I didn't do anything too restrictive or legalistic, and I would also make sure I put in foods that I found pleasurable- but at this point- pleasurable foods I felt like I wouldn't go out of control with. One of my nutritionist friends makes sure she eats a little chocolate every day- it's her way of keeping the fun in food but also feeling like she can be in control of the fun. If you find yourself getting too obsessive with the structure, then force yourself to mix things up a bit- turn that wrap to the other side of the plate! There truly is a healthy middle place for you, and you'll need to define how that personally looks for you, which will probably take some trial and error. You know your weight should probably not drop below where it is now, and it's ok to set a reasonable upper limit for your weight as well. Within that range, your weight will stabilize at the place it likes the best when you eat in a reasonable- but not legalistic- way.

The other thing I would suggest, is to do what you need to do to have opportunities to relax and get some distance from life's anxieties. That can be hard in college, with so many deadlines and tests, papers, etc. But, the more relaxed you are, the less you'll get pestered by weight related anxious thoughts. Having healthy fun- with LOTS of opportunities to laugh- is one of the very best things you can do for you!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 23:51
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

As long as you aren't
binge ing and purging
or excessively
compulsive about
your weight and
weighing all the time,
I would say you do
what you want. Screw
the Dr.

You could probably eat
more meat though,
and workout with
weights and increase
your muscle mass.

That would put
HEALTHY weight on
you, but I wouldn't
just eat more
to put on fat.

Congratulations on
reaching your goal
weight!
  #63   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 00:22

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Lozzz--I've never been in your situation (being underweight!) but...lots of "98 lb weaklings" turn to bodybuilding to gain weight. I don't know what it is about bodybuilding that's making you depressed? I always feel empowered when I finish that kind of workout.

Maybe you could substitute a different eating regiment than LC, say, Body for Life? That way, you could feel you are in control of your body/destiny and still gain weight by adding muscle. The program recommends you eat 5-6 small meals a day; 3 whole foods meals and 3 low fat, high protein shakes would do it. If you pack on some muscle, that might add to your self-esteem. But in order for this program to work, you MUST eat enough protein...again, preferably 5-6 times a day. You gotta feed your body plenty of protein to add muscle. I think the easiest way to do this must be adding those shakes (which you can buy in tetra packaging), or protein bars..which makes it much easier than trying to eat 6 whole food meals/day.

Go to the Body for Life website and see some of these before and after pictures...they're really inspiring!

http://bodyforlife.com/

Perhaps in addition to changing your regimen, some psychological counselling would help. This would be totally confidential between you and your counsellor. That might help.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

There really is uch a thing as being "underweight" please be careful.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

Your BMI s only 18.7, which is technically underweight. 120 lbs would bring you up to 20 which right on the low end of 'healthy weight'. But most important is how you feel. Are you tired and lacking energy? Do you bones show through the skin? Do you look emaciated? Only you can decide.
Keep working out and maybe enjoy an occasional higher carb or sweet treat (once or twice a week) and see how it goes.
And don't forge wine (or other alcohols) have calories - you can enjoy a glass with your evening meal without guilt and it may help bump the weight upjust a little.

Last edited by Analog6 : Thu, Jun-01-06 at 18:20.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococarby
I also plan on consulting a nutritionist to make sure I am I don't have any vitamin deficiencies and I'm getting the right amounts of calories/fat/etc.

Just a warning: the nutritionist will probably tell you not to do Atkins. I ride with a nutritionist to get to church each week and she does not think my diet is healthy. Don't be surprized if she tells you that a low-fat diet will help you. Don't believe her when she tells you that.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-06, 18:35

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The BMI is only a tool

I think they are going to alter calculating these, because it fluctuates and doesn't take into account body type.

I think it's better to be at the lower end of the "healthy weight" personally.

Some doctors are alarmist for no apparent reason.

Did the doctor do bloodwork?

I enjoy weight training. My body feels lean, but has great definition.