Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: 1st ATKINS; now CKD!!
Stats: 208/166/158
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Gained!!

I gained 2lbs this week from last friday.
I know I did not go over the carb up on the weekend.
I ate x10-11 of my wieght during the week.
I am frustrated mainly because I did more cardio during the week.
I did one hour every morning (normal) and an extra hour three days in the evening, and two days of lifting. And I gained two Fing pounds.

I have been drinking nothing but water mainly. A total of 4 cans of diet rite in the week other than that nothing but water.

My question is where did this wieght come from?
If I increased my cardio and substituted water for other allowed drinks.

Could this be water wieght?

What should I do next week to accelerate loss in the next weeks.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 06:28

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

one thing i noticed - Diet Rite is sweetened with Splenda. Even though Atkins recommends it be careful.

I was doing great on induction one time, then bought a twelve pack of Diet Rite, it stalled me big time and i started gaining.

So now i try to avoid Splenda as much as possible too.

Other than that did you check your bodyfat percetages? maybe you are gaining lean muscle mass.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 09:21

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

Don't worry about it. The gain can't be fat, based on your workout sched and eating. Laws of physics won't allow it.
How's your lifting? If you are going really hard at it, you can add muscle quickly on this plan, especially at your age.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 14:45

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Gained - LBM or total weight? A carbup can easily add 5-8 pounds or even more in water alone. "Good" water weight is that which follows glycogen into muscles - 4 grams of water per gram of glycogen stored, to balance out the osmotic pressure. "Bad" water weight is the subcutaneous and extracellular water; usually caused by too much salt and usually goes away within a day or two.

I have a daily chart of my weight posted in front of my face at my desk - it's full of weekend spikes!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: 1st ATKINS; now CKD!!
Stats: 208/166/158
BF:
Progress: 84%

I put on the xtra 2lbs from Mon-Fri.
It was not from the carb up.
Last friday I was at 172lbs, then on this friday morning I was 174lbs.
Doesn't make sense to me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 19:00

Did you measure weight at any points in between?

I've always heard the argument that you should not weigh yourself all the time; it made sense, so I used to take measurements on Mondays (beginning of keto) and Saturdays (beginning of carbup), and compare them Monday to Monday and Saturday to Saturday. Then I got curious and started doing them every day. That actually showed me that there are indeed useless data points throughout the week, but at least it made for an interesting chart that I posted in front of my face.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:

The scale use to make me go crazy. I found a simple solution to the problem. I stopped weighing myself. Now I only judge my progress by the mirror, the fit of my clothes and bodyfat calipers.
The scale will make you go crazy my friend. I could care less about my weight. I will never judge myself by the scale ever again. It was probably water weight anyway. Don't worry about it.

I am guessing that I will weigh around 175 once I reach my final goal. I have friends that weigh less than 175 and look like complete shit. Weight is not that important. Your physique and
bodyfat percentages are the real name of the game.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 23:52

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

yeah...I only trust the scale in 5-10 pound increments. 2 pounds is nothing. Thats a healthy dump. I try to only weigh myself in 2 week increments. Sometimes if you lean a lil forward or a lil back it makes a difference, what kinda surface its on, maybe its off, who knows, I wouldnt worry at all. if next week you are 176 then worry
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 05:30

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

hi my name is Joe and I am a scale-aholic.

it is not unusual for me to weigh myself 3 or 4 times a day. Fortunately I dont obsess over the readings. I jsut find that when i am dieting or working out that i am very curious about how my body acts.

I like to see the scale drop but if it doesnt i dont get bent out of shape, instead i go grab the tape measure and take a few measurements around my belly and waist, if they look ok then i dont worry about anything.

the only weight that i take semi-seriously is my morning weight, like beaver said a couple pounds during the day is nothing, that could be a big lunch, chugging a bottle of water or taking a dump.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 08:40

I weigh myself Monday - Saturday right after running. Clearly it is the water weight that changes the most, and doing this kind of helped me figure out what the effects of different things I eat/drink/do are on water retention - amount of salt I eat, alcohol, etc.

The advice of "Weigh yourself as little as possible" kind of makes sense in light of the fact that a lot of information can get confusing, and it's only useful if your "experiment" is controlled to some degree, so to speak. In other words, if you're eating the same food everyday and do the same exercise everyday, then it may make sense to take daily measurements to figure out the effects of something else, but otherwise - fuggetaboutit.