Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 20:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Kielbasa, What can I do with it?

My boyfriend picked up a ton of Kielbasa from costco because it only had 2 carbs. Of course now I have a ton of kielbasa and nothing to do with it. The only way I have ever made it before was with pineapples and honey in a slow cooker and that option is out. Can I just grill it and eat it? Do I have to slow cook it? What flavors does it go well with? I also do not really want to eat it with sauerkraut so other suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 23:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It depends on the brand, but Kielbasa seasoning is almost always the same as hot dog seasoning. Just treat it like a big hot dog. I slice it, boil it and then dip it in mustard. Cheese sauce is good too.

It's tough. Other than on a bun or with beans, hot dogs don't really go with anything. At least that's been my experience. I like kielbasa with sauteed cabbage. It's great with mashed cauliflower as well. After racking my brain for many months, that's about all I've come up with.

I read on another forum that kielbasa is a good sub for andouille in gumbo. After giving it a try, I now know this is not the case. I do think it might be good in soup, though.

It's got plenty of salt/preservatives so it lasts for quite some time, especially if it's packaged. If your BF got a really huge package, I guess you could freeze some. I like kielbasa, but if I eat it more than a couple times a month, I get sick of it. Same thing for hot dogs. Pepperoni gives me a lot more mileage.

Btw, 2g of carbs is pretty carby for kielbasa. The kielbasa I buy has some corn syrup solids, but they're small enough to register as 0 carbs on the label. For that much sugar, I definitely recommend slicing it and boiling it. Boiling it should reduce the sugar content a little bit.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 01:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

can you freeze some of it. sue
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 07:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I like the grill idea. to bad you can't throw it in a bun.

Another good recipie is to get some sugar free sourkraut to use with it. The canned stuff stinks, but I get some in a jar that's almost sweet. yummmm
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 08:15
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

we have fresh keilbasa, not smoked and the fellow makes it with no sugar for me, I love fresh keilbasa smoked tastes just like hot dogs to me, i would chop it up in my eggs though and definatly freeze it smoked frezzes well. It is one of the few polish foods that will not make me fat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 10:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I fry onions, add kale (a lot, it shrinks), soy sauce and let the kale cook down then I add kielbasa and let it cook a while. Yummy, that is, if you like kale - but any of the greens will do.
There's also a Portugese soup called Caldo Verde that is made with kale and linguica. You can use the keilbasa instead and leave out the potatoes that are in all the recipes. Very good.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 10:56
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I put it in my jambalaya recipe.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 21:34

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I like it with steamed cabbage: Cut cabbage into bite sized pieces... place in pot with small about of water... salt and pepper... top with slices or chunks of kielbasa... steam until cabbage is to your liking (I like mine al dente).

It is also really good dipped in a hot cheese sauce/fondue: heat kielbasa (I usually do mine on my in-door grill or in a frying pan... dip in cheese sauce / fondue (I like to make a fondue using pepper jack cheese and a little cream melted in the microwave.

It is also really good in soup... I usually mix it with ground beef in a spicy beef, kielbasa, and vegetable soup.

You can roll it in a low carb tortilla... add whatever you like as "toppings"... mustard, cheese sauce, may, kraut, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 04:49

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Fry the sausage up with shredded cabbage.

Scramble it with eggs and top with cheese.

Roast it in the oven with sliced bell peppers and onions.

Grill it with lc bbq sauce.

Make kebobs with it and some good veggies.

Make a New England like dinner with it: Sausage, cabbage, onion ... maybe carrots and slow cook (boil or crockpot).

Good luck! I hope you find something you like from all the suggestions you're receiving.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 04:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

We love it fried in a pan along with some sauerkraut!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 10:53

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

What about cutting it up with some low carb pasta sauce, add some thyme and oregano, then serve it on spaghetti squash?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 11:04

Stats: 190/190/120 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've friied it in a pan and added bell pepper strips, soy sauce and onions. Cook until done. The original recipe also called for potatoes (a no-no now) so I have added turnips at times...Makes a hearty main meal
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 22:25
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

You could play Hide the Sausage in the Meat. I did this a while back and posted the pictures, let me find one...

OK, I'm back. Here is the picture: http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=5339&catid=member&imageuser=52934

Basically just take a boneless pork loin, and cut a slit in the middle all down the length of the loin. Stuff the sausage in the hole. It might be hard to get in so you might want to lube it up with some olive oil or something so it slides in easier first. Also, before you stuff the sausage in the hole, you might want to take the sausage and puncture it with a fork, so as it cooks, the juices flow out and season the pork loin from the inside out.

You can grill the pork loin, or roast it in your oven.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 08:20

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

If its smoked it is awesome in eggs.

It its fresh, boil it and serve with horseradish.

#15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 10:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 286/168/- Male 5'7
BF:almost.
Progress: 121%

I love Kielbasa. Grilled, scrambled, stir-fried.