Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/194.5/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Decaf coffee and cream okay?

Hi,

I'm on day eight and have lost six pounds , but have a long way to go . Is it okay for me to have decaf coffee with cream & splenda, and do I have to limit the number of cups per day

Secondly, is it true that it's okay to have chocolate or yoghurt without affecting ketosis? Maybe you shouldn't even answer that...I'll just stay clear of them.

Third, (sorry), will the weight loss continue beyond the fourteen days if I continue on Induction?

Thanks, and keep it up everyone! This site is WONDERFUL!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 15:39

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yes cream (heavy aka whipping cream) is fine in coffee. Coffee is not a free drink. It contains .6 to .8 carbs per cup, so no you can not have unlimited.

Depending on the carb count for the chocolate and yogurt.....they may be okay. Wait until AFTER induction though. If it is not on your induction list, don't do it.

Yes you will continue losing weight after induction if you stay at 20 carbs a day, however you really need to start the Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL).

OWL teaches you how to eat within your own bodies carb limitations so you maintain that weight instead of treating this as a quick fix diet.

The more you go on and off diets, the worst it will be for taking the weight off due to messing up your metobolism.

In other words you are pretty much playing russian roulette with your body.

Hope that helps out
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:53

Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

How does Splenda compare to Sweet n Low with regard to carbs?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 22:26

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%

Trisham - check out Low carb studies b/c there is a comparison as well as info about sweeteners...

Aine - Alright, when I started Atkins three months ago, I definitely thought that I should stay at 20 carbs a day (I don't know if you're a newbie), but (I think for most people) there is NO NEED. I love my OWL b/c I've found the way my body works. I would never want to go back - it would be torcher. After induction, I slowly increased my carbs and stayed under 30 for six weeks. Now I stay under 40, but that's me (I think that's high). I am losing slower now, but that's to be expected (and even if it isn't, I'm much more relaxed and I don't mind). If you want to stay under 20 c, that's your decision, but take some time to figure out if that's necessary. I feel that if I had tried to stay under 20 c/day, I would have not been able to really make this diet a WOL.

Check how metabolically resistant you are after induction is over and then decide about the 20 carb a day thing.
I have two-three cups of coffee a day w/ cream and splenda (and a occasional breve latte). I stayed away from all this including soda for two months, but the cream and the splenda should be okay, but just use in moderation.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 03:36
Registered Member

Stats: 206/194.5/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile Thanks

Thanks a lot for the guidance. ANd yes, I am a newbie who is really enjoying this site.

Cheers