Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-23, 03:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, I must have missed this thread when it was first posted. One of my favourite topics! When olive oil is $10/bottle and butter is $5.99/lb, why waste good cooking fat?

My tips:
  • If you only have a small amount, it's probably not worth rendering on the stove. Small amounts, I'll just keep it in a small container in the fridge and it gets used up pretty quickly. I just keep in mind that it might be "brothy" and is probably going to spatter in the pan.
  • The purpose of rendering is to cook the water out. This helps preserve it. My technique is like above, but basically as if I'm making clarified butter: cook it on the stove low and slow until it stops bubbling. Most of the time I'm rendering, it's fat I peeled off a bowl of chilled broth.
  • Highly recommended: get yourself a stainless steel coffee filter for your cooked-and-cooled liquid fat. It'll take out the blackened bits, meaty bits, and spice chunks left over. It makes a nicer cooking fat less likely to smoke or burn.
  • If you made bacon, the grease is already virtually water-free because it was being pan-fried or baked. By the time the bacon is done, there's little or no water left.
  • Don't be afraid of fats that are from something that was flavoured. Some of the best chicken fat and lard I ever had was from rotisserie chicken, pulled pork, sausage grease, etc. Just jot down what it was so you don't surprise yourself later.