Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 09:52

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Losing Weight After Fifty: Menopause and Other Issues

A recent post by Dr Barbara Berkeley over at the Refuse to Regain blog:

Quote:
January 06, 2011

Losing Weight After Fifty: Menopause and Other Issues

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Let's get the off-putting facts out of the way first. Your metabolism slows down with age, meaning that your body burns fewer calories than it used to. Prior to menopause, estrogen directs fat storage into the hips and thighs. Once estrogen is gone, storage starts occuring in the belly creating the famed "mena-pot".

While these things are true, they don't have to mean anything. Is it possible to lose weight and keep it off later in life? Absolutely.

Over the years, some of my most successful long term weight patients have been over 60. When new clients tell me that they are worried about their inability to lose because of age, I show them a picture of my mother who had a major weight loss in her mid 80s and continues to control her weight now at 92. Because of two bad knees, exercise was out. She also has an underactive thyroid. She's always had trouble losing weight. Nevertheless, she did it.

Weight control after fifty is only a challenge if you misunderstand the basics. If you believe that weight loss and maintenance is achieved by starving and running the marathon, you will be justified in seeing major impediments as you age. Many people give up on trying to stay at a healthy weight because of just such thinking.

So let's return to those basics, because the fundamentals become even more important when someone is older or post-menopausal.

Overweight occurs when your body stores fat (that's a normal physiologic function) but then is unable to burn it off again (that's not normal). If everything is going just right, your fat cells should be open at all times, able to store fat and then release it again freely when it is needed for moment to moment energy needs. If you are making alot of the hormone insulin, your calories will go into fat storage but they won't be able to get out. It's a one way valve. If you drop insulin levels, fat flows freely out of the fat cells. (And let me remind you once again that what starts insulin going is eating sugar, starches or grain).

One of the most important considerations for those over 50 is not lowered metabolism, but that fact that we become increasingly insulin resistant with age. Insulin resistance means that we make more insulin when we eat carbs than we used to and that insulin levels tend to stay higher throughout the day. Thus, more trapped fat. More difficulty losing.

For those with weight problems over 50, the adoption of a diet that eliminates carbohydrate (except for fruits and vegetables), is key. Understood this way, you can see that the number of calories burned a day (metabolism) is secondary to the way calories are utilized. Essentially, you cannot utilize calories properly is you are making alot of insulin. Similarly, the fact that excess fat in post menopausal women lands in the belly is unimportant. Our aim is to avoid storing excess fat in the first place. Thus, where is goes is immaterial.

Here's one piece of very good news. I have found that it is often more possible for my patients over 50 to make the necessary changes in their eating habits than it is for younger patients. If you have been eating bread, pasta, potatoes and sweets for a whole lifetime, it's often now possible to take a "been there, done that" attitude. At 50 plus, all of us become concerned about our longevity and more specifically, about living out the rest of our years in optimal health. With the greater knowledge we have, and with a lifetime of having accomplished things already behind us, it suddenly becomes ok to try something new. Then too, the more mature we are, the less interest we have in conforming. This makes it easier to tell friends and family that we simply don't eat certain foods any more.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...her-issues.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: Martini's & Whipped Cream
Stats: 317/231/157 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 54%

That was the most reassuring article I have read in a long time. I really needed to hear this, as it is what I am doing, but feel so alone in. My husband is still not completely convinced it is in the carb and impaired insulin, he still thinks he can exercise it all off. For me I lost half my excess weight with no exercise and reducing the carbs and the amount I eat. I feel terrific and I am controlling my blood glucose numbers in the normal range.

She is right, when older, it a whole new way of thinking! Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 16:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wish it worked better for me. But even low carb isn't doing it.

Trying hCG this time around... *knock wood*
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 08:45

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Wow - that last paragraph is just what I needed to hear.

Fifty is right around the bend for me and here I am 10 pounds heavier than I want to be (haven't changed my stats).

Thanks Demi.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 10:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I was 49 when I re-upped

1 year later...good bye 40 pounds.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 10:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I was 54 yrs old when I started out to lose my weight and menopause started for me several months in.
Learning how to eat in a carb controlled way was the trick for my body.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 14:52

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I was 70 when I restarted -- it took 2 years to get it off but it's been off for 2 years and a bit now. At this stage, the trick seems to be controlling the carbs even while allowing almost anything once-in-awhile and in moderation! I'm still an experiment of one and a work in progress.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 21:54

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

EXCELLENT article! It explains so much! Have been yo yo-ing the same 5 kilos for years. A 60 year old friend who has reached her 'college weight', after losing 25 kilos (about 55 pounds) has inspired me to do the same. One key she gave, which has REVOLUTIONISED my own success is never eat after 4 pm. I am dropping about 200 to 300 grams a day (1000 in 1 kilo) with my power walking or stationary biking. Another key is using Tehina in place of mayo.Every ones bodies respond differently. I expect the rate of loss to slow down, but I am fully confident this time its coming off.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 21:32

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

That was beautiful, it sure makes me have hope.. gosh its been since 2006 and I go down 20 and get stuck.. my body is at a wall, and I don't know how to break it down.. but this gives be at least some internal hope that there is a chance for me thank you for posting this
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 22:08

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default A Little Question

I can't find where to start a journal. Hope someone can help. I'm 70 and will be 71 late this summer. I've been trying low carb for 2 weeks but think I only lost a couple pounds. I keep eating a little too much and I've eaten strawberries, nuts and up to 28 carbs some days. Just not quite with it and I'm not quite losing weight. I'm not discouraged though and will post here again if I can find it. lol myrt
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 22:32

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi Myrt, and welcome!

To start a journal, go to the Journals / Bootcamp section of the forum, click on the green "New Thread" button, give your post a title and write your first entry. Click the "Submit" button, and Hey Presto -- you have a journal! From then on, every time you post on here, your posts will have a "journal" button in them and it won't be long before others will be visiting your journal, and getting to know you!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 09:09
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Hi Myrt!
Welcome!

You'll learn your way around the forum in no time.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-11, 09:05

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

"I was 49 when I re-upped
1 year later...good bye 40 pounds."

That is excellent news cnmLisa.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 00:54

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli
EXCELLENT article! It explains so much! Have been yo yo-ing the same 5 kilos for years. A 60 year old friend who has reached her 'college weight', after losing 25 kilos (about 55 pounds) has inspired me to do the same. One key she gave, which has REVOLUTIONISED my own success is never eat after 4 pm. I am dropping about 200 to 300 grams a day (1000 in 1 kilo) with my power walking or stationary biking. Another key is using Tehina in place of mayo.Every ones bodies respond differently. I expect the rate of loss to slow down, but I am fully confident this time its coming off.

I'm laughing!
My 60 year old friend also says to me when I fall back into the carb bingeing:
"REPENT! REPENT OF YOUR GLUTTONY!!!!"
It actually has worked!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 02:44

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

I liked the "been there, done that" part of the article.

In case this is of use to another woman who finds that changing hormones means the need to adjust her food plan:

I stay at fewer than 30g/CHO/d and have to limit portions or I gain. Going LC: no sweets, no refined/packaged foods, was enough some years ago. Aging, health challenges, and hormones required additional changes: VLC, no grains/legumes/nuts or seeds and their oils, only non-sweet fruits. That worked well for a while.

A little older, a little slower, more changes in the hormones, staying with VLC a la Dr. Richard Bernstein, and food plan according to evolutionary folks: Dr. Kurt Harris and Dr. Emily Deans .

I must limit portions. I choose everything in my food plan according to its nutrient value (and of course, preference, ).
After choosing foods for happy mitochondria, brain function, nerves, bones, and such health reasons, that uses up the amount of food I can take in and utilize. There is no room in the food plan for foods which do not contribute greatly to my health. I'm just one of those.

I'm one of those in that group of women who must keep track and limit, or gain.

Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid , has been of great help to me, in sorting through my own choices. I linked to his blog post, "Weigh Loss When It's Hard, part 1". Here is Dr. Harris' post on How To Lose Weight, for those who find that following the 12-Step recommendations is not sufficient. .

I hope those links are of use to others. Those blogs have been of great help to me.

Best wishes to all for the best of health!

Last edited by SilverEm : Fri, Apr-22-11 at 02:45. Reason: typing error