Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:37
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Congratulations pennink!

I loved that turtleneck dress too - wow...really pretty, and simple too.

I took a look at the Coldwater Creek, and there are some things in there that might work for me too. I think I saw one of these stores at the Flatiron Crossing mall.

I must admit that part of the problem I'm having is making myself venture into stores that aren't plus size. Awhile back, I was really surprised to find that things in the Eddie Bauer store fit me. I tentatively sort of wandered around...afraid to actually try anything on, for fear it would be too small. Kept grabbing extra-larges, thinking I'd be lucky if they fit. Turns out I was a 'medium' in that store. A month or so before that, I actually bought a couple of shirts from their store without trying them on - extra larges...thinking, "I'd rather try these at home and if they don't fit I'll just bring them back".

Um - I think 'shirts' are a difficult thing when one's body shape is changing. I don't think I'm going to buy too many shirts for now. More sweaters and knits I think. I've got tons and tons of tailored shirts that are all boxy now.

You know what? I don't know what size I am! So I grab a whole range of things, and after fumbling around in the changing room and then going back and getting more sizes - I sometimes just end up walking out in a huff.

And the other thing is that I think the sizes have changed somehow over the years. I've got a beautiful dress that I kept - something my parents gave me years ago. It's a size 12 - and I'm very close to fitting into it now. But when I try on a 12 in stores...well, it seems like things are bigger, or the sizes are all skewed or something.

Is it just me or is it that I'm a completely different size depending on the brand, the store, the item? Anything from a ten to a fourteen? That it's impossible to tell what to try on? Gah!

Hopefully, as I shop more and try on more things, I'll develop an understanding of what my size is - that somehow I'll decipher which brands work with what size on me etc. It never used to be this complicated.

I am vowing to get into more stores this fall, if only to educate myself on what clothes I like, what fits where and so on. Maybe I won't buy a whole lot, but I do need to get out of the "I'm a size 2 or 3X" mindset.

Maybe I'll even try on a skirt or two.

I haven't worn a skirt (except on my wedding day) since gaining the weight. Funny how I developed all these 'rules' about what I can and can't wear - maybe those 'rules' are all wrong???? For instance - no skirts, no belts, no light colours on the bottom, hardly any colours at all (think black, navy or rarely..grey), plain loafers, lots of 'all black' ensembles, no patterns, hardly any jewellery, no coloured shoes or socks...

Hmmph.

Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:43

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

citrus, you gotta break your own rules, girlfriend!!!! NO jewellery! I thought you had to have it every day, like water...

If you want to see, go 'shopping'. Try on all kinds of things you thought were against the rules and just take a gander at yourself (wear good foundation garments when shopping so you get a good look)

Thought I posted this here, but seems to have disappeared.

Vanity sizing: remember in the 70s (if you were born--and I hate you if you werent) a 10 was a nice, average size? Well, a zero now is about what a 5/6 was then. Manufacturers learned to cut larger--or basically switch the size labels--so you buy feeling awesome that you fit into a lower size.

In the 70s and even till the 80s, Bridal gowns were the opposite. If you took a 12 normally, you're dress would probably be a 10. Now, it's the 10 Bride looking at 12s and 14s. You must remember, it's not the size that counts it's how the clothing fits ya!!!!
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:46
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Citrus, yes. It all depends on the store and brand. And of course the fabric and cut. It's called vanity sizing.

In NY&CO, an XL top is slightly tight. Yet I have shirts in my closet from Ann Taylor LOFT that are a size medium, and fit almost perfect. Same with the pants. A 14 in NY&CO is camel toe tight, but the 14p in ATL is perfect right now.
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

hmmm am abit confused about turtleneck, all the time here (in the UK) we are bombarded how it should be avoided, because they make you look as if you have no neck, also make your boobs look huge and saggy (because the point of start at top of the neck to your lowest point of your boob is longer than it is for other designs)..... the fashion advice here in many fashion programmes that we should go for V or square cut round the neck because it does the opposite, i.e. elongate the neck (noble neck/chest kind of effect) also shows a hint (teese) of a feminine cleavage!!

I used to get turtle necks all the time, but now I converted to V & square necks, frankly both look nice in some way, but when overweight I'd have thought that we should go for the open V neck for the elongation effect!! mind you it gets darn cold here in the winter so I end up wrapping a bright silk scarves round my neck so perhaps same effect as a turtleneck !!
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:08

Turtles are good... repeat after me....

IF you wear a very good one. Those kind of cottony-polyester ones that sag, NO NO NO!!!!, but a lovely knit that hugs your bosom and neck, YES YES YES-- price tag makes the difference.

I think the sleeveless and the short sleeves are good. Not really interested in the long sleeved for me. Wearing the right jewellery with them helps break up that 'stretch'.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:16
I've decided

I'm relieved to know that my love of turtlenecks makes me at least somewhat stylish at times...

The 'no jewellery' thing - well, more like...'nothing too flashy, nothing overly noticeable'. Um, I wear silver or pearl stud earrings 99.99% of the time.

Ok - where to get the 'good' turtlenecks? I bought them in Lane Bryant (plus size clothing chain in the US) last year, and I know that's not going to work for me this year.
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:17

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Congratulations pennink!

I loved that turtleneck dress too - wow...really pretty, and simple too.

I took a look at the Coldwater Creek, and there are some things in there that might work for me too. I think I saw one of these stores at the Flatiron Crossing mall.

I must admit that part of the problem I'm having is making myself venture into stores that aren't plus size. Awhile back, I was really surprised to find that things in the Eddie Bauer store fit me. I tentatively sort of wandered around...afraid to actually try anything on, for fear it would be too small. Kbring them back".

Don't forget to check out the Outlet stores for both Coldwater Creek and Eddie Bauer (I do it online; coldwatercreek.com and eddiebauer.com - look for the "outlet" tab). You can get the same exact stuff they are selling in their stores for a fraction of the cost! I've done it PLENTY of times. If you know what you want, and know what size, it's a great way to go. Also, Landsend has an Overstocks section.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:23

ah shopping for me is something i can't tell you as I live in Canada. I buy mine at The Bay... high end department store... or if I'm really having a good month... Holt Renfrew.
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:26

ohhhh, now this is a necklace... wow

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/...nd=599&expand=w
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:32
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
OH the more belts the merrier from what I've seen. Some cool ones, too. Wide backs, then two narrow belts to hold them (but there's a gap between where the wide belt stops and the thin ones run across your tummy---mmmm, clear as mud, eh?)

Big belts define a small waist! Don't you just eat up the compliments!!!!!?? love them.

Penni - that's a corset belt, yes? I think that's what I've seen those called. Tyra Banks (I love her!!) wore a brown one (with a black sleevless turtleneck dress and kickin' brown heels) on one of her shows.
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:36

yeah! very hot... oh, notice... turtleneck...

Bad turtleneck (notice it's not shape hugging and out of cotton)
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Seamless...l?CM_MERCH=SRCH

good turtleneck

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catal...leneck%26n%3D14
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:36
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
ohhhh, now this is a necklace... wow

http://www.holtrenfrew.com/english/...nd=599&expand=w

I would so totally wear that. I swear I would.....
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieam
I would so totally wear that. I swear I would.....

I'm going over next week (holt's is near me) and getting this. Heck, it's only 175 bucks. AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! well, maybe when I get to onederland... a reward.
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 214/185/114 Female 5 feet
BF:53/48/20
Progress: 29%

Leslie, that would look great on you!!

And, I'm SURE the same could be said of YOU, pen... if we could ONLY see you!

Thanks, Girls, for listing where you shop... that gives me places to check out!

Speaking of checking out, I want to do this in another 30 pounds:

http://www.missussmartypants.com/

Probably should do it now AND then... AND at goal!

I'm "just afraid" my shape will change so much between now and 30 more gone... and, where does the money come for ALL those clothes?!?!?

Sherry
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:44
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryJ
Leslie, that would look great on you!!

And, I'm SURE the same could be said of YOU, pen... if we could ONLY see you!

Thanks, Girls, for listing where you shop... that gives me places to check out!

Speaking of checking out, I want to do this in another 30 pounds:

http://www.missussmartypants.com/

Probably should do it now AND then... AND at goal!

I'm "just afraid" my shape will change so much between now and 30 more gone... and, where does the money come for ALL those clothes?!?!?

Sherry

That smartypants thing looks really neat. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to my clothing/style makeover...

And I'm with you on wondering just how much a person's shape will change with the next round of weight loss.

I'm amazed at the number of people who'll order clothing online - maybe once I have a better idea of my actual size, and how the brands/stores 'fit' me, I'll have the courage to try ordering things like turtlenecks online. For now though, because I'm not all that clear on sizes/brands - I think I'd better be trying stuff on for awhile first, before buying.

I *want* to go to an outlet mall! There's one about half an hour's drive from here, and I went there just once, and looked in their plus store...did not venture into the other stores, and I really like the idea of finding deals from better stores, especially knowing that I just might...just might actually get to goal sometime in the next decade. So I really don't want to buy a whole bunch of stuff, only to have it not fit again in a few month's time. Just a few pieces to get me through fall without having stuff flop all over me. No expensive jackets or tailored shirts...not doing that again.

Last January, my husband bought me a new winter coat.

It's way too big for me now, and I wore it for like three months.

I am very, very glad I saved my 'old' winter coat. One that I had when I was much slimmer. I *think* it's still in style..I hope it is. It was very expensive, which is why I held onto it - dreaming of the day when I'd be able to wear it again. Well, it fits me perfectly now...provided I don't lose too much...I think I can get away with it.

I just might see if I can find a way to take a pic of 'the coat' and post it in here and see what everyone thinks. I bought it um...almost seven years ago.

Ok - gotta get off this forum!!!

Sara