Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Doctor Visit

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats! That is just awesome. Yes, I agree with you that we're so over medicalized. You need medicines to correct the symptoms caused by medicines.

We live in a nutty world.

Congrats again!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Not taking pills is an accomplishment. I am closing in on 67 yrs old and I take no medication. There are so many benefits to this lchf diet. As many here have said, it is not just about weight loss it's about all around health. I am grateful every day that I found this way of eating.

You're doing great MickiSue.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:52

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Congratulations MickiSue, you are right, most of my friends and neighbors ( I live in a 55+ community) spent a lot of money on meds , half of it probably aren't necessary. It is almost a badge of honor to take more pill then your neighbors. When I tell them that I am on any meds and just take vitamins they look at me like I came from another planet. Making big pharma even richer is part of the American dream.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Thanks, you guys, and Ellen, you made me laugh. Gotta keep Big Pharma happy at (literally) all costs.

I have been down on AARP ever since they supported that godawful Medicare medication coverage, written by the pharmaceutical companies. The first year it was instituted, I was standing in line at the pharmacy, waiting to pick up my thyroid.

In front of me was an older lady, in tears. She had hit the "donut hole" in her pharmacy coverage, and had just been told that the cost for her month's worth of meds was over $2000.

Somebody, or a lot of somebodies, should go to jail for that, and things like that.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 13:55

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

You go girl!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 15:33

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-15, 16:42

Stats: 304.6/196/172 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 82%

It's interesting. When I would take my mother to doctor, I would watch people come in with their bag of pills. She had hers too before she passed away. I thought of her during my last doctor's visit, when at 58, here I come in with mine.

This way of eating works for me, if I work it. When I work it, my cholesterol goes down, and therefore my medicine (and cost!) goes down. Yes, yours is a victory. Keep on keeping on.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-15, 17:49

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I take Armour thyroid too. Haven't tested lately but ideally would like to see my TSH to be under one, we'll see. I confess I take metformin also, though those two are it - and yes it's sad, but when I started with my new doctor in June her nurse, who took my medical history, exclaimed in amazement "that's *all* you take!" Sad to think that seems like a rarity. Congratulations!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 04:54

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Excellent news! It's amazing how the expected norm, as we progress through our 60s, is managing multiple medications. Given your commitment to your WOE and the results you're continuing to experience, being on one prescription for management purposes is a major victory! Being able to limit, reduce, or eliminate medications altogether is another clear indicator that your WOL is on the right path.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 07:02

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yeah, that's great. Just this last week my SO had to be in the hospital overnight (old cardiac issues) and even though he is taking 2 regular and one temporary med, they kept marvelling that that was all he was prescribed. Also kept raving about how fit he is, even though in my opinion he's gained some weight and doesn't stay as LC as I'd like him to.
I'm 54 and only on blood pressure meds regularly. I hope to get off those soon.
I don't really understand the "donut hole" thing, off to the googles I guess.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 08:17

This is a good explanation: https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/cos...verage-gap.html

That's what happens when you let the pharmaceutical companies write the coverage plans!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 09:41

BF:

Thanks. It doesn't sound too bad. What did the pharmaceutical companies get changed about it? Sorry, I'm dense.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 13:53

The entire Medicare Part D plan was written for the Republican Congress by the pharmaceutical companies. And, YES, if you are living on a fixed income, and you are on Medicare, it's pretty bad.

One of the provisions of that plan is that there will be no discounting of medications: so people, and Medicare, are paying full price for meds that might be 90% less expensive in other countries, because those other countries DO get discounts from those same pharmaceutical companies.

If you can't discount, you are going to hit the donut hole much faster. Many people are on a number of expensive meds.

Let's say you are a 75 year old person, and the retail price (which is what is charged for your meds) on a monthly basis is $1000. That is NOT hard to hit at retail: a 30 day supply of a med I had ordered for pain after a car accident was, all by itself, $250.

Let's also say that your Social Security payments are $1200 monthly. Not at all an uncommon amount--many get less. So, suddenly, from your $1200 a month, you now have to pay $450 for medication, bringing you a total of $750 a month for everything else.

It's a bad plan. Written, quite frankly, by bad people.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 15:31

Plan: Atkins, Primal,
Stats: 169/158/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well done!

It's amazing how the body will heal itself given optimal nutrition and enough sleep
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 18:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
The entire Medicare Part D plan was written for the Republican Congress by the pharmaceutical companies. And, YES, if you are living on a fixed income, and you are on Medicare, it's pretty bad.

One of the provisions of that plan is that there will be no discounting of medications: so people, and Medicare, are paying full price for meds that might be 90% less expensive in other countries, because those other countries DO get discounts from those same pharmaceutical companies.

If you can't discount, you are going to hit the donut hole much faster. Many people are on a number of expensive meds.

Let's say you are a 75 year old person, and the retail price (which is what is charged for your meds) on a monthly basis is $1000. That is NOT hard to hit at retail: a 30 day supply of a med I had ordered for pain after a car accident was, all by itself, $250.

Let's also say that your Social Security payments are $1200 monthly. Not at all an uncommon amount--many get less. So, suddenly, from your $1200 a month, you now have to pay $450 for medication, bringing you a total of $750 a month for everything else.

It's a bad plan. Written, quite frankly, by bad people.

Well, okay. I wasn't trying to disparage anyone's difficulties with the plan. I was genuinely curious. And as a Republican, I would definitely support additional subsidies for people who genuinely cannot afford their medications.
  #16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 20:11

If it had been the Dems who let the industry that would benefit from a terrible provision in the law write that law, I would have been just as disgusted. I paid attention when the law was being written, and was upset at the time, even though it was 10 years before I needed to think about Medicare.

Knowing the history can help, because on the surface, the hole isn't TOO bad. But I also remember standing in line behind a lady at the pharmacy, when she was told that her "Medicare covered" prescriptions would cost her $1200. And this poor lady started crying.

We need a much better social network in this country, and we should be ashamed, as such a wealthy country, that we have such an abysmal one.
Sponsored Links

Article tools