Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 05:33

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Nancy
If your liver is overproducing glucose,Metformin ER might help.
It's main mode of action is to regulate glucose production by
the liver.
Just a thought.
Goldilocks syndrome??
Good luck with this.
Eddie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 06:44

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yippeeeeeee! I was thinking about what nancy said about taking the whole dosage at night. Well I forgot to take mine at lunch so I decided I would take that one dose I missed at night before I went to bed. My fasting glucose was 82 this morning. First time I've ever seen that since I was in my forties. And I"m not constipated yet but I take plenty of magnesium.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 08:09

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hmmm...I am jealous you guys...I wish I could take that without it causing me hypos..may be it wontand i should try it....argggg i dont know..i should probably work on balancing my hormones first that is the cause of insuline resistence and chronic fatigue to begin with.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 08:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Nancy
If your liver is overproducing glucose,Metformin ER might help.
It's main mode of action is to regulate glucose production by
the liver.
Just a thought.
Goldilocks syndrome??
Good luck with this.
Eddie

Goldilocks, remember that story? One bowl of porridge was too hot, one bowl too cold. She finally found the one that was just right.

Well, I've found the "too hot" and "too cold" bowls... still looking for the "just right" bowl -- at least in terms of my thyroid dosages.

I suspect once the thyroid meds are "just right" I will either find that I actually DO have a slight glucose problem. Hypothyroid can make your glucose levels low, hyperthyroid makes them high. I was hypothyroid before and my glucose levels ran into the 70-80's, when I am hyperthyroid they're hitting sometimes as high as 120.

Yeah, I might ask my doctor about the Metformin once my thyroid levels are right, if the BG stays high.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with the BHCL and see if it just needs more time to work. If nothing else, I love it for how it calms my gut down.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 11:18
Experimenter

BF:

I got another 85 this morning! I think my thyroid levels are a tad lower now, but maybe it is due to the BHCL.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 12:11

BF:

good for you Nancy!! I haven't checked mine since friday. Maybe in the morning.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 10:04
Experimenter

BF:

88 today! I've gone back to the lower thyroid dose so I'm not sure if it is that or the BHCL. After a couple weeks I will stop the BHCL for while and see what happens.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-08, 14:54

BF:

I haven't checked since friday morning. I was going to check tomorrow but I forgot my doses of berberine today so I think I'll wait a few days.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 09:50
Experimenter

BF:

Aw poop! 104 this morning. This seems to be my pattern. A few days of beautiful FBG followed by many days of much higher.

I wonder why? My diet stays pretty predictably low carb. I don't cheat.

Oh... I have been taking some Aleve last couple of days. Hmmm.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 12:42

BF:

Are you taking the Aleve for inflammation? I started taking a supplement called phenocane. I ache all over sometimes and I haven't been diagnosed but I do know past x-rays have shown some arthritis in my shoulders so I asuume I have it other places too.

Also there is another supplement called Curamin for inflammation. Same thing as phenocane. But if the Aleve is for headaches these supplements probably wont' work.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 12:55
Experimenter

BF:

Curcumin gives me awful diarrhea and didn't seem to help my pain. Is the Phenocane helping you?

Yeah, I have arthritis and muscle aches sometimes too.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 06:08

BF:

I've only been on the phenocane for two days. Curcumin helps my pain by about fifty percent and it also helps my slow colon to move on better. Phenocane also has boswellia in it which helps me. However the weather has taken a cooler trend here and when that happens I am lots less achey. I ache in the hot humid climate for some reason.

Anyway..........my FBG this morning was 75. I took a dose of berberine before I went to bed. I was shocked to see it that low.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 07:13

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
Anyway..........my FBG this morning was 75. I took a dose of berberine before I went to bed. I was shocked to see it that low.

Wow... how long have you been on the berberine? I'm glad it worked for you, and hoping it will continue to do so. I've got three more days before I start back-up on berberine. I just took a 2 week break with Aloe Vera. I've not had time to post all my results, but I'm not too keen on the Aloe Vera, although it does have some lowering effect, but not that great.... Berberine is still what I've had the most success with so far... Probably in January, I'll try Banaba Leaf Extract as my next alternative... meanwhile, I'll be on berberine...
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 14:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Wow... how long have you been on the berberine? I

cajunboy I've only been on berberine about two weeks and there were a few days I didnt' take any or I forgot to take all three doses. I was surprised it was that low this morning.

Did you have any luck with bitter melon? I want to try that one when I come off of the berberine. I plan on taking the berberine through december.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 09:05
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I've only been on the phenocane for two days. Curcumin helps my pain by about fifty percent and it also helps my slow colon to move on better. Phenocane also has boswellia in it which helps me. However the weather has taken a cooler trend here and when that happens I am lots less achey. I ache in the hot humid climate for some reason.

How much Phenocane are you taking?

I looked it up and it seems like Phenocane isn't a real thing, just a name for a mixture of stuff including phenylalanine and curcumin.

I might try it again, I sure would love to have something other than Aleve that works.