Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-18, 07:34

Plan: Keto + IF (16/8)
Stats: 218/171/170 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Made it through keto flu... I will live

Whoa! I'm 42 yr old male... It's been almost 20 years since I've been this committed to the Atkins' induction phase.

My first go round with Atkins 20 years ago was really hard- but I lost 50 lbs and kept 35 of it off for 3 years. But the weight crept back up for the next 10 years and for the past 10 years I said to hell with it and ate like a teenager.

Today I'm at day 12, down from 218 to 206. The first 8 lbs were water- but 4 lbs in less than 2 weeks is better than expected. One thing that was really different this time was how crappy I felt for 10 days. So bad that it really freaked me out was to see how addicted I was (am) to sugar, empty carbs, and processed food.

I didn't remember feeling like a zombie for 10 days 20 years ago when I did Atkins; but your body changes.

I'm excited that I can already see physical changes- my face has lost some fat, I'm already fitting into old jeans.

But what's also really impressive is my wallet. I didn't pay attention to how much I really ate out. I spent hundreds of dollars a month on Door Dash, Uber Eats, and Postmates. I'm surprised they haven't come to check on me!!!

I really hope this becomes a WOL. I'm soon to be 43, my dad has Type 2 diabetes, and I see so many men my age who look just like me... I really need to get to a healthy weight.

Anyway, just wanted to post this for anyone who is struggling with the carb withdrawals/keto flu.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-18, 09:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

My inspiration for becoming strict LC was my dad as well. Kind of a preview of your life in the future. It was enough to get my attention before I did any further damage. The rest in history, and it's all been a good thing.

Check out the forum, as there are several strategies one can use to lessen or avoid the "keto flu." One is to make sure you're consuming enough salt, and that's likely the "usual suspect" when people have a rough go with induction in the early days. You're making excellent progress, enjoy the journey!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-18, 10:32

BF:

DUDE!

Looking at your stats- we're twins!

EDIT: Oops- your goal is the same. Nice job!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 08:06

BF:

Just found this old thread. Happy to report that I'm still at it... down to 170 and kept my muscle, and lost a ton of fat.

Cutting out diet sodas (6/day habit) and adding 16/8 fasting got me from 183 to 170.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 09:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Well done!!

Thank you for sharing your success.....inspiring.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 18:10

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Awesome Chrisr!

Congratulations
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-19, 19:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

The fact that you're "still at it" is the best part of your update. With the success that you've experienced, the motivation to keep with it is solid. We have a few years in age difference, like 24, but it's great when you hear from people achieving success at all ages while experiencing health improvements as they get older. Lots for you to look forward to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-19, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 395.9/276.7/250 Male 5’10
BF:
Progress: 82%

Remember the keto flu like it was yesterday! My wife and myself started doing Atkins the first week of May. I am happy to report that we are still at it hard-core today, and the results for both of us have been amazing. I am down 86 pounds and my wife is down 38!! We did the induction phase for nearly 2 months however and have started to add a few carbs into our diet. We have not seen much change in our normal rate of loss and we both feel amazing right now. Wishing you continued success on your journey!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-19, 13:53

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was one of those relatively lucky ones whose only symptoms were a bit of a funny taste in the mouth and a little bad breath over the course of about a month. I still remember that time well though, as I was still uncertain about whether or not it would actually work. Guess I know the answer to that one now.

Anyway, glad to know things are sticking for you Chris, as they are for me. All the best from a fellow 40-something.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-20, 18:28

Stats: 226/221/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I am on day 4, down 2.4 lbs and have so much energy.

Went to bed on day 2, could not sleep because of a headache. Drank a cup of chicken bouillon, took 2 aspirin and felt better in the morning. Went to work, started to feel that headache and achy feeling again, luckily had the sense to bring some bouillon to work with me.

Hope this only affects me the 1st week of induction.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-20, 14:50
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Keto flu is the worst. Glad you made it through.

I am in it right now.

Drinking lots of water and keeping my fat high.

Missing my coffee with cream and lots of sugar.