Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-10, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/148/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Changing goal weight? Too many wrinkles!

First, I have to confess that I just discovered this Over Fifty forum...I guess I need to look around more often. I mostly look at recipes and write in my journal, because I am so limited in time to spend on the computer most days. Anyway, I am thrilled to find more over-50's here!

I have lost about 50 pounds (I'm not sure exactly what I weighed when I started) and thought I wanted to lose about 10 more. But with the loss of the last 10 pounds or so, my face has really started looking much older, and my neck, oh help me! I am 54, and I have always been told I look young for my age. My reply has always been that the fat I gain every year fills out my wrinkles so they don't show (and I truly believe that to be the case).

I accept that I will always have the "bat wings" on my arms (I can cover them), and I really don't care that I still have fat on my belly (I cover that, too!), but seeing my face in the mirror every day looking so old is really bothering me. I am beginning to think that I should not lose any more weight because of this.

I am wondering if anyone else has felt this way? I no longer know how to determine a reasonable goal weight. Have you revised your goals because you started looking too old? Any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 11:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

bumping this up. I also have "neck" issues when I lose weight and wondered if anyone had an answer short of surgery. It does seem to be much worse when I am dehydrated.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 12:44
Registered Member

Stats: 190/148/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnseeds
bumping this up. I also have "neck" issues when I lose weight and wondered if anyone had an answer short of surgery. It does seem to be much worse when I am dehydrated.

Hi, nutsandseeds...

I had never considered that my neck issues (such a nice way to describe it!) may be made worse by dehydration. Thanks for bringing my attention to that. I will be pushing the water and hoping for a miracle (and if you find your miracle, please let me know)!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I have a hereditary issue on this too. All my aunts have the neck thing going on... However I really started to panic not too long ago because it was getting ridiculous. My double/triple chin disappeared into some sort of wobbly turkey neck. I am just riding it out, and I do think it is getting better; a bit less saggy, etc. So I think your body just might have to get used to the lessened size of the fat cells there. Not scientific but just an observation.

Now if I can get me legs to stop looking like I'm wearing old, worn out, 2 sizes too big, pantyhose! .... Droop is Poopy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 22:48
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I'm 49 and 146--the lowest I've been since I was in my early 30s.

I look young for my age (thanks mom) but I do know that I don't really want to lose down lower than 140--I know I'll start looking skeletal and haggy. I'd rather keep a bit of meat on my bones and look young.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 04:48

Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

I've noticed that this helps - - I do dry brushing all over my body before my evening shower/bath. This includes the neck and face. I exfoliates the skin and truly helps it to be more elastic and helps "shake up" cellulite via the lymphatic system. Next, I make sure that my neck is ALWAYS practically SLATHERED with moisturizer. I often use coconut oil for this purpose at night, and extreme moisturizer and coconut oil during the day - repeatedly applying it multiple times throughout the day. It does give the skin on the neck and under the chin the best "leg up" to help it adjust to the loss of fat underneath the skin.

Give it a try and see what you think. Note that this is a longterm solution - not an overnight one. Do it everyday and you will see a difference over time.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 11:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/000/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've been reading up about dry brushing and bought a brush just yesterday. Everything I see says to brush in the direction of your heart - for your neck that would mean down. I am afraid of helping gravity if I brush down!!! Kelly - how specifically (what motions) do you dry brush your neck and face?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 16:56

Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

Brushing the neck and face: Yes, I do brush toward the heart for my body. But for the neck and face I brush upward. Up on the neck, and upward on each side of the face toward my ears, down on the nose, and up on the forehead in the middle and to the side on each side of the forehead. I'm not sure if it makes any difference which way you brush, but I saw a youtube video where she instructed to do this on the face and neck, and have read numerous accounts on the same procedure. And besides, it just feels better to brush up there. I do it before I take off any makeup as this does loosen anything you've applied to the face before you get in the shower. Then I use a soft buff pad and facial cleanser, and buff softly. Afterward, I use coconut oil as a moisturizer (tiny amount goes a long way). This always leaves me with an exfoliated, and soft face and neck. If you go onto youtube and search for dry brushing, you will find numerous videos on dry brushing. Other methods are demonstrated, but it is generally accepted that brushing toward the heart or lymph nodes is the best way.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 17:21

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

My sister, who is 15 months younger than me (and will be 50 this year) recently lost 50 pounds. She was looking a little rough for a few months, and even walking like an old woman. But she put about 5 pounds back on and it made a world of difference! I don't know for sure if it was the weight, or her skin adjusting to her new body size. But she looks fantastic now!

So you may seem improvements in a few weeks, and if not, you could trying gaining a few pounds. Wow...now wouldn't that be fun for a change?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Martini's & Whipped Cream
Stats: 317/232/157 Female 5' 6"
BF:38.6
Progress: 53%

I am not even half way to goal, but I am most likely not going to change my goal weight because of wrinkles or saggy skin. I believe there is better chance of health at a lower weight especially when aging. The least I have weighed as an adult was 147, I am aiming for 157.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 09:04
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaannh
I am not even half way to goal, but I am most likely not going to change my goal weight because of wrinkles or saggy skin. I believe there is better chance of health at a lower weight especially when aging. The least I have weighed as an adult was 147, I am aiming for 157.

Sounds like you've got a great attitude about all this stuff!
See how you feel, and look, when you get to your goal. You just may want to get a bit lower.
I had not seen the 150s in more than 25 yrs. Its been a gift for me to be where I am for the past 4.5 years now.
I just turned 60!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 12:29

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Taking fish oil is reported as one way to reduce skin wrinkles.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: customized plan
Stats: 212/126/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbob
First, I have to confess that I just discovered this Over Fifty forum...I guess I need to look around more often. I mostly look at recipes and write in my journal, because I am so limited in time to spend on the computer most days. Anyway, I am thrilled to find more over-50's here!

I have lost about 50 pounds (I'm not sure exactly what I weighed when I started) and thought I wanted to lose about 10 more. But with the loss of the last 10 pounds or so, my face has really started looking much older, and my neck, oh help me! I am 54, and I have always been told I look young for my age. My reply has always been that the fat I gain every year fills out my wrinkles so they don't show (and I truly believe that to be the case).

I accept that I will always have the "bat wings" on my arms (I can cover them), and I really don't care that I still have fat on my belly (I cover that, too!), but seeing my face in the mirror every day looking so old is really bothering me. I am beginning to think that I should not lose any more weight because of this.

I am wondering if anyone else has felt this way? I no longer know how to determine a reasonable goal weight. Have you revised your goals because you started looking too old? Any advice for me?

You and I have the same problem exactly. I've now lost 65 pounds and I'm within 7 pounds of my goal weight. My face started looking much older about 20 pounds ago! No matter what I do, retin-a, creams, potions, lotions, I look old. My neck, has also turned into a wrinkled mess. Before I lost any weight, I looked pretty good for my age. I just didn't realize that I would lose this much fat from my face and neck.

I'm still going down to my goal weight though. I can choose to be old and fat or old and thin. I reluctantly choose old and thin. Besides, my face and neck may adjust somewhat after a few months at the new weight.

I almost stopped dieting completely about 20 pounds ago when I started looking bad because the old fart who rents the office down the hall from mine actually had the nerve to come into my office one day and tell me I should stop losing weight because my face and neck were starting to sag! It's one thing to notice it yourself, but even worse when someone tells you to your face how crappy you look.

It took me a few weeks to get over what he said! I cried later and had a real melt-down.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 08:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think the 50's is just when the neck gives way. For me anyway. Bleh. I might have a lower face lift. We shall see... I hates it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 09:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzetteBlu
You and I have the same problem exactly. I've now lost 65 pounds and I'm within 7 pounds of my goal weight. My face started looking much older about 20 pounds ago! No matter what I do, retin-a, creams, potions, lotions, I look old. My neck, has also turned into a wrinkled mess. Before I lost any weight, I looked pretty good for my age. I just didn't realize that I would lose this much fat from my face and neck.

I'm still going down to my goal weight though. I can choose to be old and fat or old and thin. I reluctantly choose old and thin. Besides, my face and neck may adjust somewhat after a few months at the new weight.

I almost stopped dieting completely about 20 pounds ago when I started looking bad because the old fart who rents the office down the hall from mine actually had the nerve to come into my office one day and tell me I should stop losing weight because my face and neck were starting to sag! It's one thing to notice it yourself, but even worse when someone tells you to your face how crappy you look.

It took me a few weeks to get over what he said! I cried later and had a real melt-down.

Who's the actress who said she had to decide between her face and her ass as she got older?
I do hear you on this as I'm now 62 and decided to not go below 150 just because of this...and my neck and face are sagging anyway. oy....

I'm sorry that that man said such a hurtful thing to you.