Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-22, 19:13

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Fiber supplement question

So had one of those fun experiences (colonoscopy) and the doctor strongly advised more fiber. Unfortunately I did have an allergic reaction to psyllium husk some years ago -- rash on arms etc. However all the fiber supplements I have found have high carbs and sugar. Even the sugar free ones have like 10 grams of carbs per serving. that's about a third of my daily carb intake. Have any of you ever found a no sugar no carb no psyllium husk fiber supplement?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-22, 02:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The carbs in SF fiber supplements are all fiber, won’t interfere with weight loss. Since switching back to counting net carbs (where I started with the New Atkins for a New You) I no longer need supplements…I eat more vegetables with fiber and minerals.
I did use magnesium when I was VLC, taking one capsule at night or used the Natural Calm drink. Dr Westman recommends a small amount (a teaspoon) of Milk of Magnesia daily, if constipation is a problem.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-22, 03:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. Can I ask on what basis the doc recommended more fiber? Was the colonoscopy just a screening, or were you having a gut problem investigated?

A lot of times, "more fiber" is all doctors know how to say and that's a bad idea for a lot of people. It can be a knee-jerk reaction if you mention that you avoid grains, you're a low-carber, etc. Sort of like telling you to avoid eggs because they raise your cholesterol - it's largely outdated bad advice.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-22, 03:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am fiber-sensitive, and do well with very little. All of us discovered more individual approaches work better.

One of the authors of Protein Power, Dr. Dan Eades, had a great article about the proper role of fiber.

Is increased fiber intake really a good thing?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-22, 05:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm high risk for colon cancer and my doc also recommended Consyl for more fiber. IMHO, that is not the best option. Cows and goats are designed to eat that stuff as they have a fermentation process built in, aka rumen. We do not. Rabbits have a huge cecum, aka appendix,; we do not. Our large intestine does all that work but has a much shorter time to transit.

Instead, whole vegetables are a great source, and fruit too. Pick what works for your diet .

Veggies.Green beans, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, beets, peas in a pod, onions, scallions, garlic, green leafy vegetables, water chestnuts. And more.

Whole Fruits. Not juices. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, oranges, peaches , etc....

These foods include a variety of fiber types

Also, consider a source of probiotics. Keifir, buttermilk, yogurts, kombucha, fermented vegetables. . I keep probiotic pills on hand as well.

Replenishing and feeding microbes is my focus.

( My background is feeding farm animals, lots of nutrition classes.)

My mother just had surgery for colon cancer.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-22, 06:53

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Yeah as far as regularity I've been drinking green kick tea with cream twice daily and I will say that does work pretty well and it tastes good. As far as the colonoscopy it was a normal 10 year screening but I do have some ongoing issues. The doctor said I have diverticulosis (pockets in the gut ) which I was aware of and I have some other issues such as occasional bleeding but he didn't see anything real bad in there (you know you're getting old when you feel comfortable talking about such things -- ha ha -- never had these conversations in my twenties). I do eat things like broccoli, blueberries, leafy veg. etc. But many of the fruits are for sure off limits as I'm doing VLC and so most fruits are off the table. Avocados are usually half rotted around my stores. I like almonds but I do have to limit those. I would LOVE to find full fat yogurt with no sugar in the store but I live in rural Mo. and you might as well be searching for a unicorn.

Last edited by Whited : Tue, Jun-28-22 at 07:01.