Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 08:50

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Low Carb Preppers

I have looked at many different sites for getting prepared in case of an emergency but most things offered are high carb. Any ideas on what to do to prepare a Low Carb stash? And I'm thinking for a few years.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 09:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

canned tuna and other fish?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 09:41

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Living in an area where we are supposed to have emergency supplies in case of hurricanes, we do keep part of the pantry stocked in preparation for loss of power/water/transportation.

I have found that financially it works better to stock things we can and do actually eat now and rotate it out every year or so. That way you don't end up a few years down the road in an emergency and things have expired or gone bad.

Besides whatever general canned goods you might like, I keep tomato sauce and paste, tuna, chicken, spam (it would probably last forever), beef jerky, nuts, peanut butter, low carb protein bars (Quest - no sugar alcohols), cases of water, propel, that type of thing.

If you are looking long term true prepper, the ability to catch and or raise your own food. There is a show dedicated to that type of thing I believe on the Discovery channel. Correction - show is called Doomsday Preppers and it is on the National Geographic Channel.

Last edited by Marieshops : Fri, Apr-24-15 at 09:52. Reason: correct info
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 09:47

BF:

That's the thing, having food that you will eat if the disaster never comes. A couple of years ago I was standing with a lady in the grocery store and we were buying canned stuff for the hurricane like...what are those little canned wieners called duh? I said toher, you know if it doesn't come, we'll actually have to eat this at some point...lol
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 10:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

good tip!

for the food:
canned tuna/ crab
peanut butter
nuts
jerky
coconut
coconut oil
canned veggies
canned coconut milk and aseptic containers of the coconut milk that is meant to be a milk sub
protein powder and quest bars

plenty of flashlights, batteries!!!, blankets, hand and foot hotties, a first AID kit, extra prescription drugs in a ready to grab bag, WATER!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 11:11

BF:

I know people who put in a pool just to have a water supply...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 11:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

a few more ideas-

this brand is shelf stable and has some low choices. they might not be your lowest ever, but in an emergency, these certainly would be great:

http://tastybite.com/product_type/indian-entrees
(examples- the kashmir spinach or the eggplant one. there might be others, too. check out the labels).

shelf stable hummus is becoming popular-one brand is wild garden. you could also have a reserve of flax crackers for dipping, since you not have fresh veg.

pickled eggs- i have never tried one, but they do exist.

pickled veggies!!!

packets of miso soup, which just need hot water- bullion cubes.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 14:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
I have looked at many different sites for getting prepared in case of an emergency but most things offered are high carb. Any ideas on what to do to prepare a Low Carb stash? And I'm thinking for a few years.

Do you live rurally? Learn to raise livestock and garden. If it were me, I'd also concede the carbs and settle for corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans and squash. They seem to be the prepper crops of choice if we're talking long term here. You need the calories and easy storage to survive a winter.... possibly without electricity? What kind of scenario are we talking here?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 08:43

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

The options listed are about the best you can do. I think the LC prepper just needs to acknowledge that they will be storing less volume of items, will spend more money on those items, and will have to rotate their stock more frequently.
It also depends on the person's need/reason for eating LC pre-disaster. If it's for weight-management, well, at that point I think it's "too bad so sad" and one would just have to eat higher carb or whatever is available. Calories will be more important than macros. You might be eating nothing but bread for a week, and then the next week eating nothing but nuts. Post-disaster scrounge & scavenge-type eating will definitely wreak havoc on people's digestive system. Stocking digestive aids (Pepto & Tums? ) may be as important as stocking food.
Luckily rice is pretty mild as far as the grains go, so for LC'ers maybe it should be the storage grain of choice (as opposed to the "hard red winter wheat" (I forget the exact name) that is the main prepper storage grain IIRC).
For people who are LC for acute medical reasons, like getting torn up by gluten, they may need to add corn-based stuff back in their diet.
For people who LC for future benefit like staving off Alzheimer's, reducing blood glucose to prevent cancer, etc., I think these long-term concerns would have to go by the wayside. Short term survival, surviving famine, etc. will be more important than optimal nutrition.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 16:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
The options listed are about the best you can do. I think the LC prepper just needs to acknowledge that they will be storing less volume of items, will spend more money on those items, and will have to rotate their stock more frequently.
It also depends on the person's need/reason for eating LC pre-disaster. If it's for weight-management, well, at that point I think it's "too bad so sad" and one would just have to eat higher carb or whatever is available. Calories will be more important than macros. You might be eating nothing but bread for a week, and then the next week eating nothing but nuts. Post-disaster scrounge & scavenge-type eating will definitely wreak havoc on people's digestive system. Stocking digestive aids (Pepto & Tums? ) may be as important as stocking food.
Luckily rice is pretty mild as far as the grains go, so for LC'ers maybe it should be the storage grain of choice (as opposed to the "hard red winter wheat" (I forget the exact name) that is the main prepper storage grain IIRC).
For people who are LC for acute medical reasons, like getting torn up by gluten, they may need to add corn-based stuff back in their diet.
For people who LC for future benefit like staving off Alzheimer's, reducing blood glucose to prevent cancer, etc., I think these long-term concerns would have to go by the wayside. Short term survival, surviving famine, etc. will be more important than optimal nutrition.

It should be noted, by those who might choose to store rice for an uncertain future, that brown rice, unlike wheat, will not store successfully for very long (and even then should be kept refrigerated or frozen to keep it from fairly quickly going rancid). White rice, as nutritionally lacking as it is, is the one to choose for longer term storage. I have a small supply of spelt and rye grains in my pantry, from my "before LC" time. I gave the modern wheat berries to the chickens. I don't use the grains, but they are there "just in case" - whether that is a hunger period for my family, or for my chickens . In my opinion, the best "prepper" item we can have is knowledge - the knowledge of gardening (learn NOW before it is necessary to live on what you grow), knowledge of animal husbandry, knowledge of self sufficiency. You might consider the knowledge of herbal medicine.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram

A wrist rocket and lots of snare wire.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 02:36

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
It should be noted, by those who might choose to store rice for an uncertain future, that brown rice, unlike wheat, will not store successfully for very long (and even then should be kept refrigerated or frozen to keep it from fairly quickly going rancid). White rice, as nutritionally lacking as it is, is the one to choose for longer term storage. I have a small supply of spelt and rye grains in my pantry, from my "before LC" time. I gave the modern wheat berries to the chickens. I don't use the grains, but they are there "just in case" - whether that is a hunger period for my family, or for my chickens . In my opinion, the best "prepper" item we can have is knowledge - the knowledge of gardening (learn NOW before it is necessary to live on what you grow), knowledge of animal husbandry, knowledge of self sufficiency. You might consider the knowledge of herbal medicine.

My brother says, I need to find the first 60 issues of Mother Earth News.