Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default carbs and SB

I was on another SB list (newbies2southbeachdiet) and they keep saying SB is NOT a low carb diet. And they post recipes for stuff like SF marshmallows that have almost 6 grams of carbs EACH.
I know that Dr A says it's a GOOD carb diet, and I understand about the difference between refined foods and whole grains, etc. but don't you guys count carbs at all? They DO turn to sugar in your bloodstream and for those of us who are diabetic, they have to be watched. I certainly can't afford hi carb food like that... my blood sugar would be off the charts and I wouldn't lose an ounce.
Help me out... I see you guys here on this low carb forum, yet over there I'm told the carbs don't matter!
which is it?
Thanks
'Mina

Last edited by Armina : Mon, Mar-12-07 at 13:40. Reason: typ0
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 13:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armina
I was on another SB list (newbies2southbeachdiet) and they keep saying SB is NOT a low carb diet. And they post recipes for stuff like SF marshmallows that have almost 6 grams of carbs EACH.
I know that Dr A says it's a GOOD carb diet, and I understand about the difference between refined foods and whole grains, etc. but don't you guys count carbs at all? They DO turn to sugar in your bloodstream and for those of us who are diabetic, they have to be watched. I certainly can't afford hi carb food like that... my blood sugar would be off the charts and I wouldn't lose an ounce.
Help me out... I see you guys here on this low carb forum, yet over there I'm told the carbs don't matter!
which is it?
Thanks
'Mina

I do tink that the type of carbs matter big time!! But I don't count and have not ever counted in 3 years of doing SBD.

I would not be eating SF marshmallows!! I did eat no sugar added fudgsicles when I was still losing weight....but even that is very portion controlled.

I'm very curious what else is used to make those marshmallows?

I'm maintaining my weight now eating about, and I'm guessing, between 40-80 carbs a day. To me, this is moderate controlled carb.....but compared to the way I used to eat,(200 refined carbs a day) this is very low carb.

Even now in maintenance, I eat in a controlled way....I do not eat the way I used to eat. I follow the Meal Plan Guide that you can find with the Updated Food lists.

By the way, I eat very little grain....I do eat veggies, fruit, dairy and protein....no flour to speak of.

On SBD, we are allowed 75 calories of sweet treats per day and if those people fit this into their plan, then they do what works for them. Being that you are diabetic, this may not work for you. Do what works for you!

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Mar-12-07 at 13:54.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 183/175/140 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Actually, it wasn't a recipe for the marshmallows, it was a product called LeNouba SF Marshmallows
( http://www.lowcarbchocolates.com/lanoubamarsh.html )
And not only is the carb count a bit high, but it's also false advertiseing - if you look at the bag of marshmallows pictured at the top of the page it says "no sugar/no carbs" but if you go to the bottom of the page where the nutritional info is, it says 5.82 grams of carb per marshmallow!!

There is a site with a recipe that would be do-able. Its http://www.recipezaar.com/68342. These marshmallows have 1.82 per pint (its for marshmallow creme or marshmallows)
Big difference!!
'Mina
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 10:27

Plan: South Beach-Phase 2
Stats: 200/175/150 Female 68 in
BF:30/26.6/21
Progress: 50%
Unhappy

I started SBD yesterday. I want to lose 50 lbs. I hope it works. I would love to wear the clothes that I put in a box in my closet. I bought them 5 1/2 yrs ago right before I found out I was pregnant with our first daughter. We had a nother girl 3 years ago.. I just want to wear the "still new" clothes again!!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 14:45

Plan: South Beach-Phase 2
Stats: 200/175/150 Female 68 in
BF:30/26.6/21
Progress: 50%

I don't know if this is the right place, but I have been trying to add a ticker to my profile and I can't figure it out. Any threads to describe the process?

Thanks
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-07, 15:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira
I don't know if this is the right place, but I have been trying to add a ticker to my profile and I can't figure it out. Any threads to describe the process?

Thanks

Did you go to Ticker Factory yet? Thats where I get mine....

1-go there and design your ticker...
2-then copy the address,
3-bring it here and go to your User CP and click "edit signature"...
4-then paste the entire address there.

That should do it....Good Luck! and if it still doesn't work, try the technical area near the bottom of the main page...
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 08:19

Plan: south beach
Stats: 179/179/155 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi everyone,
I have done the south beach diet before ( my doc. put me on it-high cholesterol) and lost 40 lbs but have gained over half back. I did fine until i went home last fall for a family reunion and then 2 trips out of the country and unable to pick food choices. I know this plan works. I just tried atkins for a week too much fat for me. hoping to get some good advice on this site.
judy
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 08:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy1955
Hi everyone,
I have done the south beach diet before ( my doc. put me on it-high cholesterol) and lost 40 lbs but have gained over half back. I did fine until i went home last fall for a family reunion and then 2 trips out of the country and unable to pick food choices. I know this plan works. I just tried atkins for a week too much fat for me. hoping to get some good advice on this site.
judy
Hi Judy, and welcome to our corner of the Beach; you'll find that there's a lot of great help, advice and support here
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 09:59
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy1955
Hi everyone,
judy

Hey Judy!!

another Judy here

Welcome to our Beach!!

Yup...the plan works and its not just another diet...it is a way of eating for life....there are no more diets in my life!!

The thing about making this a way of life is learning to be very prepared for those times when we will not have the best choices....I generally bring my own food or eat before I go.

It is a learning process. I wish you the best!!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 10:44

Stats: 160/159/135 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi I am starting my South Beach diet again Today. I have done Atkins - lost a few lbs but got back when I started to eat carbs. I have done SB also. Being of Indian origin it is hard for me to restrict carbs though I feel good on LC plans.
This time I am going to do it I am at 160 lbs 5' 3" and want to loose 25 lbs. Any tips and suggestion are greatly appreciated. Please excuse the spelling and typos as no spell check here.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 10:48

BF:

I also have low thyroid so low carb is good for me. I plan to eat a lot of eggs, tuna, chicken. Drink protin shakes. I think my problem is cravings as I am around people who eat carbs all the time and have will of a marshmellow!
Somebody please help
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 10:49
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaka
Hi I am starting my South Beach diet again Today. I have done Atkins - lost a few lbs but got back when I started to eat carbs. I have done SB also. Being of Indian origin it is hard for me to restrict carbs though I feel good on LC plans.
This time I am going to do it I am at 160 lbs 5' 3" and want to loose 25 lbs. Any tips and suggestion are greatly appreciated. Please excuse the spelling and typos as no spell check here.

Hi and Welcome!

When we use the Meal Plan Guide in the food list thread, it helps to teach us to eat this way. Pay attention to portion sizes on foods like beans, nuts and dairy. drink all your eater and eat lots of phase I veggies!!

I'd also like to suggest that you start a Journal here and log your food daily...this helped me a lot!!

Good Luck!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 10:50
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaka
I also have low thyroid so low carb is good for me. I plan to eat a lot of eggs, tuna, chicken. Drink protin shakes. I think my problem is cravings as I am around people who eat carbs all the time and have will of a marshmellow!
Somebody please help

Physical cravings and mental chatter telling you to eat a bad food are very different. Which do you think you are doing?
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 11:33

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Welcome, Alaka! We're glad you're here! I would suggest following your two-week Phase I to the letter--there is nothing better for breaking the hold carbs have on you through cravings. Good luck to you!
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 11:39

BF:

Hi It took me while to come to the correct place to post the reply again as I got lost browsing other boards. I found the meal plan guide. Is it any different from the SB book? I tried to start my journal from My Plan but may need some help setting it up.
As for cravings I think they are both physical and mental! Also I think I need to plan meals well in advance so that I do not starved while preparing them
Closed Thread