Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 04:30

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

I'm 57, as I lose weight I'm getting more and more active, now, a few weeks ago I started the big Risk -- playing softball with a group every Sunday afternoon -- my sons, 16 and 18, also play and its so cute how proud they are that their old mum can play. My throw (which was never great) is really bad, and I run like I going through molasses, but I can still hit and field pretty well. I'm trying to be careful about warming up arms legs and back, and trying to build my upper body strength and get the running a bit more effective. There some other elderly types, so we tend to minimize the hot foot to first, still, its RUNNING! And what a joy to be back in the softball world!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-14, 08:48

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Huh, I don't recall seeing this thread before. 51 here, 52 later this year. I'm in "the last few pounds" range, so it's more of a matter of how clothes look than anything else. I'm very glad I got rid of the bulk of my weight years ago, to be honest it was through exercise and a bodybuilding-style diet (I was really into weights) but LC is what works to keep it off and for health, of course. I know it's extremely difficult for people our age to lose, in general, even on LC.

Oh, also my mom died recently of a heart attack and had multiple health issues..so that's a motivator. She ate terribly...lots of grainy stuff from the health food store, juice, etc. She just about hung up on me once when I suggested cutting back on wheat for her arthritis.

My stats say 125 but that's probably too low for a goal weight. 130 should be fine.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 06:50

"Oh, also my mom died recently of a heart attack and had multiple health issues..so that's a motivator. She ate terribly...lots of grainy stuff from the health food store, juice, etc. She just about hung up on me once when I suggested cutting back on wheat for her arthritis."

Sorry you had to deal with that Ilikemice! But I understand what you mean about the motivating factors....at our age the concept of extending a QUALITY life is very real!!!!!! I've got a similar goal number, 124, I just chose it because it was 100 pounds less than where I started to change my approach to life. In order to get of diabetes medicine and to ensure that I don't damage my body with diabetes I probably have to get down even lower -- according to the 'in the know' endocrinologists one has to get to the low end of recommendations for height -- for me thats 111 pounds. Right now I can't imagine it, I think that 130 or 135 would be a wonderful gift! All the best for making it to those last few pounds if you do decide you want to! Do you still lift weights? I have a few friends on the boards here that do. Take care...
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 09:38

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
to ensure that I don't damage my body with diabetes I probably have to get down even lower -- according to the 'in the know' endocrinologists one has to get to the low end of recommendations for height -- for me thats 111 pounds.

That sounds really bizarre, but I know little about diabetes. Sounds like they're saying it's all dependent on your weight and not your health. If you're 130 and keeping your blood sugar down with LC, I mean, what...?

Nope, I got bored with weights after 20+ years of it - wasn't making any progress anymore and was just going through the motions. I do HIIT now (Zuzana Light's program). Pure sweet torture, lemme tell ya...
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 16:29

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'll be 52 this year, and peri-menopause/menopause is kicking my butt! Even heavy, I've always had a waist...

My weight's not going up... but my waist sure feels/looks/measures "thicker". >.<

Oh, and I'm living next door to/sharing elder care with carbaholics. Mom and brother are awful. Mom wants to "lessen the sin" by sharing with Daddy, who's bedridden and toothless. Urgh. I won't make the desserts, but brother sure will!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-14, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
That sounds really bizarre, but I know little about diabetes. Sounds like they're saying it's all dependent on your weight and not your health. If you're 130 and keeping your blood sugar down with LC, I mean, what...?

Nope, I got bored with weights after 20+ years of it - wasn't making any progress anymore and was just going through the motions. I do HIIT now (Zuzana Light's program). Pure sweet torture, lemme tell ya...

The diabetes is caused in lagre part by the fat in your body, around the pancreas and the other organs, and if you can get that fat down low enough then you have the chance of reversing diabetes, for me it means still having to be careful with what I eat, but seeing the discomfort of sugar spikes disappear along with the need to take medicine, and ensures that blood sugar remains low.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 15:07
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

Just popping in to say Hi! Another over 50 here. My weight/waist has been creeping up the last 7 years. I always had a tiny waist compared to bust and hips. Not anymore. My normal overweight weight has always been 154-164. I'm going to try to get down below 145, in hopes to reset my normal.
I have no idea of when I went through menopause! I had a partial hysterectomy at 38. When tested at 50 to see if I had started menopause, I was told I was already through with it! No noticeable symptoms!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 15:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 165/159/125 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Colleen, hope you're enjoying the weekend. I'm assuming I went thru peri-menopause and in process of menopause despite not suffering from any noticeable signs and symptom.
I maintained 125Ibs for decades until about two years ago. Sure I gained 10-15 Ibs when splurged but was able to lose the weight quickly. Recently I gained over 40Ibs in short duration; I blame it on excessive eating at night, pasta, bread, sweets and a more sedentary lifestyle.
I hadn't thought that menopausal process was making it so difficult to lose. My waist is thicker even when I was trim and now I deal with muffin-top; something I can't stand.
I'll be 50 yo in a few weeks.
Take care everyone,
Lola
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 16:34
Craft Ninja!

Hi Lola! I have the muffintop too! It's such a weird and uncomfortable feeling after having a tiny waist my whole life!
Here's to getting rid of the Muffin Tops!
Go Team!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 21:30
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Thought I'd pop in and say hello. 54 tomorrow and yeah the menopause thing with the thicker waist. I've put on 7 pounds all in my butt and thighs(where I always carry it) but the thicker waist is just frickn' frustrating. My small waist use to be the thing that got me thru having a bubble butt and thick thighs. Now....I try daily to give myself some slack--I mean jeez louise--I'm 54 and will never have the 28 inch waist from my 30s--I just try and take one day at a time. Some days are better than others and it's better than the alternative.
My philosophy...do the best you can at any given moment. That's all we can ask of ourselves.
Lisa
  #56   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 21:39

BF:

Happy Birthday Lisa! I hope you have a wonderful day. My birthday is less than a month away and I'm debating whether to have the notorious cake and ice cream celebration.

Do you plan on celebrating with any treats tomorrow?
Take care
~L
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 21:46
Craft Ninja!

Happy Birthday Lisa!
Lisa and Lola, you can make some low carb ice cream with hwc, use the baggie method for single servings or make a full batch and don't tell that it's low carb! And I've seen some really good sounding low carb cakes, some in single cup size.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 22:00

BF:

LC ice cream and cake would be great but unfortunately I spending that day with my family. For decades now my dad buys a double decker 8" cake for birthdays from German bakery. It's served with side of Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream. We have those instead of eating lunch.
I already know in advance I'm going have a small slice with scoop of ice cream. I'm hoping to lose a few more pounds prior to my birthday; that's my goal anyway.
I'll definitely look into the home made LC ice cream though; the store bought one is too expensive with too many carbs.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 22:18
Every day is day one

BF:

Ice cream and cake...nope, none for me. It just doesn't hold any interest.
Now a nice big glass of wine.....
5 years ago a day after my birthday was when I recommitted to plan (the third time around the rodeo)--I just did not want to turn 50 in a girdle
I can't believe, it's 5 years later, have basically kept it off, still doing LC (probably 80-20) and here I am. I can't complain. I'm crazy healthy except for a back injury that I've had for years. Life is good. (maybe just a bit of botox for my crows feet )

Glider--take a look in the sweets/desserts section--there is a huge thread that I started oh so long ago discussing ice cream--green tea I think it was at the time.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 22:20
Every day is day one

BF:

If you're interested in almost everything LC ice cream--I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=289870