Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 14:39

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 220/190/180 Male 60
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Try water

Water stops the high impact effect and gives great resistance. Of course you have to have access to a pool. There are water exercise classes at the local Y and even at one of the local city pools, the close it in the morning to kids and only let in people the do the class.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Lots on peple insisted the over 50's got a forum of their own and now no one posts there.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 06:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%

Hi,
I also have bad knees. I started out my exercise routine riding an exercise bike, the kind with the handles that also move. I rode it for 10 minutes at first, then worked my way up to 20 minutes. Now, I am able to walk. I started out just going around the block. Now, I can walk a mile or a little more at a time. Lots of days, I walk a mile twice in a day. I have also recently gotten a mini-trampoline. I am starting out slow on it, but it is supposed to be even lower impact than walking. It is sure a work out, but lots of fun, too. I just put on some music and kind of jog in place on it. I don't do it very long at a time right now, but hope to work my way up on it, too. It doesn't hurt my knees. I think that as you build your leg muscles up it takes some of the stress off your knees. I also bought some two pound hand weights, and I use them sometimes to exercise my arms. I also do stretches and crunches, etc. sometimes. That doesn't bother my knees at all. I also have other joint problems, but the exercise has really helped that more than it has hurt. Some days it is really hard to walk the mile because of pain in my left leg, but I keep going and I make it. Some days it is not as bad. Every day, it makes me feel better when I exercise both physically and mentally. I have more energy than I have had in a long, long time.

I hope you can find what is right for you. Just try some things a little at a time and work your way up slowly whatever you decide to do. Just get moving some way or another. It will make you feel so much better.
Have a great day!
Martha
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 19:49

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well, this is interesting. I have arthritis on both knees and I have an excercise bike at home. I got on it the other day to try to excercise and the pain on my left knee left me without air. I can not understand how with bad knees can anyone do this excercise. The only thing I can do is walk and not too fast because sometimes my knee locks and I lose my balance. Just go to a mall and walk. I am almost 60 and I started at 310 lbs. Beeing stuck at 235 for over 9 months.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 13:29

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think people our age who have medical problems and a lot of weight to lose and are told by well meaning and younger people that we definitely have to exercise should just ignore them initially and not feel guilty about it. IMHO we should not make exercise our #1 priority until we have embarked on a low-carb eating plan that works for us, helps us lose a few pounds, makes us feel better and with enough energy that we can gradually increase our level of activity. It took me 6 months of low-carbing before I was able to exercise. In those 6 months prior, my knees almost completely healed. I had thought that I would have to go in for knee replacement surgery that's how bad they were. Low-carbing cured my arthritis. So, take it one step at a time. If you can exercise, so much the better, but if you can't don't feel guilty.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%

now THAT is a true story. Exercise is important but not if you cripple yourself in the long-run. One step at a time, move slowly at first. You'll soon be flying like the wind!!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 177.5/177.5/155 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello Mr. Mel! I am 53 (soon to be 54) and have two bad knees. While Richard Simmons is sweatin to the oldies I get on my glider which places no stress on your joints. I try to work out at least three days a week when my work schedule allows it. Good luck! We sure will cheer you on! Linda
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%
Default Mr. Mel

You can see from my stats that I have walked in your shoes.

At first I walked back and forth thru my house and did arm exercises. I have one leg that is not up to walking. I use an electric cart in stores. I am able to walk into and out of stores with the use of a regular cart.

I go to the local rec center. I can swim in the regular pool and get into the heated pool and walk and then joined a class with others past age 50. NO one cares what you look like. The kids are in school.

Moving in water is pure freedom. It does not make your muscles sore. It is 2 x better exercise due to the water......there for it takes less movement to get good results. I go 2 x a wk and sometimes 3 if I am able.

I am losing steady. I eat 2000 cal a day. 2 lbs a week is normal for me to lose. YOU CAN DO THIS and not have to starve.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:42
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%

My stats are not showing what they should.
started 395
now 295 last wk
I have joined the Christmas challenge and have lost 10 of the 25 lbs I said I would lose. 60 + days to go so I will make it to 280.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 369/350/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Mr. Mel, I too am over 50, 55 actually and hear where your coming from with the knee problem. I try to set goals for myself like trying to walk down the hallway to the elevator, I live in an apartment building, at least twice a day. It's not a big deal but it's something. I also believe in just stretching or trying to touch your toes. You'll be amazed with a constant rep of strectching each day and bending what it will do for you. It's not hard either. Do it maybe 10 min. a day. As you go along it will become easier. I'm just getting back into Atkins but love the fact that it really works. I just keep telling myself it took me 28 years to have packed on this much weight so if takes two to take it all off then so be it. I'm tired of shopping in catalogs and tired of not being able to walk to the store. Running was something I always loved but I don't think I could run if my life depended on it right now. I would be able to get to the elevator though. Keep on keeping on.