Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 21:48

Plan: Atkins & BFL & FF
Stats: 115/111/95 Female 61 inches
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default Calling All runners!

I've just finished induction (Yahoo!!) and am adding more vegetables into my menus to increase carbs. I am running 35-45 miles/week. My legs hurt and have ZERO energy most of the time.

Does anyone know what carb level a runner should try to shoot for during the post-Induction phase? Is there some sort of easy guideline (like grams of carbs per kg LBM)? DANDR does not seem very specific about this. Sounds like I'd have to spend many months adjusting carbs to figure out the critical carb levels.

I really enjoy being free of sugar addictions/cravings since starting Atkins, but the painful and poor quality of my running is very distressing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 04:47

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Imogene,

I run about 31 - 33 miles per week. For me, I've found that eating up to around 100 - 120 carbs works quite well with fueling my running.

It takes a period to adjust, but once you do, you'll feel energized during your runs.

I think with 35 - 45 miles per week, eating more carbs will not adversely affect you at all; if anything, more carbs for you would be beneficial. Your running would easily burn about 100 - 150 carbs/day.

So, up the carbs a little (fruits and veggies of course, though I'm partial to the former and tend to eschew the latter) and you'll soon feel invigorated during your runs.

Best of luck,

Frederick
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 10:14

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Frederick. I run anywhere from 35 to 50 miles per week. I eat about 100-120 carbs per day and up the amount on my long run days (Sat & Sun). I recently got back into lower carb and cut the fat down and the weight is now coming off again. Good luck to you.
Maureen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 21:40

Plan: Atkins & BFL & FF
Stats: 115/111/95 Female 61 inches
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%

Frederick & Maureen-
Thanks so much for the great info. For me, 120gr carbs would be about 30% of all my calories for the day. Is that too high?
Also:
1. how long would you expect it would take to adjust to being an LC'ing runner? (and feel like you have enough energy).
2. to get up to 120gr (after being on induction), what rate should I increase at? If I increase carbs right away, I'll have to back off on fats or protein to balance the total calories.
3. maureen mentioned a reduction in fats to take more weight off. I find this a little confusing because Atkins seems to encourage higher than conventional levels of fat. How does this work physiologically?

I have read on this site that runners can do long distances with very low carbs (less than 50gr/day). Seems like the pace at which you run would factor into the equation since it influences how quickly glycogen stores get used up. What do you think?

Imogene
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:46

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Imogene,
I have read that some exceptional athletes can train themselves (over time) to function on a very small carb intake. It takes months to train your body to do so and I am not willing to go through that process as I believe that I need the nutrition.

I have attempted a 30 mile training run without carbs and I bonked at about mile 16. My friend had Power gels (perfomance food), I ate two and was fine.

Most runners can get through marathon distance without eating but once your glycogen stores are used up, it's necessary to intake calories. On my long training runs I eat about 200 calories an hour in the form of gels, a powdered carb drink, raisens, PR bars or baked yams. It just depends on where I am track or trail. I just revert back to my lower carb ways for the remainder of the day.

RE: Cutting back on fat & protein. I have recently got back on my program, have eliminated all sugar and most saturated fat. I have also given up using olive oil, (I use Pam) eating nuts and cheese and using egg yolks. My weight has dropped four pounds in three weeks. I believe that I cannot lose more than 1.5 pounds per week and maintain my muscle mass. I am 5'8", 164 pounds and I wear a size 10 so I have a lot of muscle. Most people cannot guess my weight.

RE: Caloric intake-I do not count calories. I have decreased the volume of what I eat and make better food choices (mentioned above). The biggest hurdle was getting off the sugar and getting back into the program with this support group as well as my two best friends who are following a similar plan. This works for me.

I'm sure you may want additional information and Nat is the one person on the site with the most wisdom, knowledge and information. If you read her posts I'm sure you will gets plenty of information. Her posts are listed under her full name of Natruska.

Have a great day!
Maureen