Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 07:19

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thought I'd bump this to say.......I didn't take my mag for a few days and felt likt death warmed over!!! Never again!! Even if I have to write a hot check to get it!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 13:18

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Thought I'd bump this to say.......I didn't take my mag for a few days and felt likt death warmed over!!! Never again!! Even if I have to write a hot check to get it!!

Hi there kaylakala,

Did the same, felt the same. Amazing stuff, isn't it???

amanda
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 17:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm enjoying magnesium; but my husband, who has a chronic illness, took it at my urging but he doesn't seem to think it's working... we'll see what happens with him.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 19:10

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

My husband quit taking his and I could see a big difference. He was sleeping WAY too much.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 22:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Okay, I got my Bluebonnet Chelated magnesium today and took 400 mg tonight. I'm waiting to "feel all sparkly." Looking for it to help me sleep better. Seems like I'm restless often at night.

I wonder how many doses I might need before I can tell a difference?

Donna
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 22:53

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I heart magnesium.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
Okay, I got my Bluebonnet Chelated magnesium today and took 400 mg tonight. I'm waiting to "feel all sparkly." Looking for it to help me sleep better. Seems like I'm restless often at night.

I wonder how many doses I might need before I can tell a difference?

Donna

LOL! I've been taking magnesium for years now. If it makes a difference, I haven't been able to tell.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 14:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! I've been taking magnesium for years now. If it makes a difference, I haven't been able to tell.

I wonder if you react differently because of not having a thyroid?

Most of us do, so maybe that is why you have such different reactions.

Just a thought.

amanda
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 11:05

Ok reporting back. I've been taking the mag for over 2 weeks now and I don't see much difference. I may be sleeping some better but sometimes the leg and toe cramps are very annoying. Not sure what's causing it. It is worse if I have more than 2 diet mt dews in a day. Seems like I drink enough water. Thinking dehydration, but don't know why. Will continue taking the mag bc it could be unbearable without it.

Donna
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 11:54

BF:
Default Maybe you need some salt or potassium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahill8
Ok reporting back. I've been taking the mag for over 2 weeks now and I don't see much difference. I may be sleeping some better but sometimes the leg and toe cramps are very annoying. Not sure what's causing it. It is worse if I have more than 2 diet mt dews in a day. Seems like I drink enough water. Thinking dehydration, but don't know why. Will continue taking the mag bc it could be unbearable without it.

Donna

Hi Donna,

Sorry to hear that you haven't had such good results with the magnesium... I was always totally convinced that magnesium deficiency was THE cure for cramps because it was for me. But, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary...

About the Mountain Dew sodas: they have 85mg of sodium per can. Maybe that puts your electrolyte balance out of whack? Or perhaps it's the phosphoric acid. I just found something here:

http://www.mom-going-organic-sensib...and-health.html

I just scanned it, but it seems like a good explanation: the phosphoric acids need to be neutralized, she writes, and this uses up various minerals - precisely the ones which you need to stop your muscles cramping up...

So it would seem like a good idea to drop the Mountain Dew, if at all possible... Too much water, though, can also be harmful to a good electrolyte balance as too much water makes you pee too much and then you lose yet more electrolytes.

From what I've read here on the forum about toe and leg cramps and the various cures people recommend or have tried, I would say the following: if magnesium doesn't help (which it does for me, which is why I recommend it ), then it could be some other electrolyte imbalance. I have read of people having good results with potassium and salt.

See this post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...83&postcount=14

Which was in this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=382772

Potassium can, of course, be obtained from food, with parsley being a rich source, apparently (make vegetable or bone broth and add a couple of bunches of chopped parsley right at the end of the cooking time, for example). Supplements would also be OK.

As for salt, if you can get hold of some good sea salt, that could do the trick. I have tried it this way: first thing in the morning (to combat the early-morning dizziness I used to have as a result of adrenal fatigue/magnesium deficiency), I would just eat some salt off a teaspoon (I like salt!!!), say about a quarter of a teaspoon and then wash it down with some water. It was amazing how often this really energized me!!!

Maybe you have not been using salt because of the salt-causes-high-blood-pressure myth? Firstly, it is just that: a myth. There have been plenty of threads on this forum about that one. Salt is absolutely essential and switching to a low-carb diet - and giving up a lot of processed foods which are over-salted - can then lead to a lack of salt in the diet.

So, get the salt shaker and shake it, baby!!!

I have seen some American posters recommend what I think is known as Morton's Salt - it is a mix of potassium and salt, I think. However, I would personally go for natural sea salt and potassium-rich foods or a supplement, if you don't have any luck with the food route.

Hope this helps! If not, you could always look here:

http://www.google.com/custom?domain...ID%3A1%3B&hl=en

This is a list of approximately 28,900 posts generated by the Google Advanced Search facility for the entire forum which came up when I put in the search term "cramps". There must be something in there which would help!!!

amanda

Last edited by amandawald : Mon, Jun-13-11 at 12:17.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 15:19
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I use lo-salt, it has potassium in it, and this plus the mag seems to work for my restless legs - but I take a hefty dose of magnesium - 1200mg chelated (drs best) = 600mg elemental..

Lee
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 16:06

Wow Amanda! Great info. I realized after I read all the info that I had been having upper abdominal cramps. I thought my gut was getting twisted, but when I mentioned it to the nurse pract., she said that was too high for the colon and that it sounded like a cramp. Boy they hurt really bad-making me stand up and stretch quickly.

I realize I need to give up the diet mt dew. It's so difficult with me not being a coffee, tea, juice, or any other drink consumer. I look at it as a treat, but it, I know, is a harmful treat. I wish I could find another treat that is not harmful, and is sugar free. I was having one only on Thursdays, but then I started having one when I went out with a girlfriend to keep me from cheating. Then it became 1-2 daily again. Oh well. Time to give it up again.

The potassium thing is interesting to me. I was low in potassium 2x and hospitalized for IV potassium one of those times. This was 10 years ago. It was normal on my lab work in May, but it probably has the capability to change quickly like blood sugars, so I really wouldn't know whether to supplement. Messing with potassium supplements kinda scares me. How would you know what you need?

Thanks again for all the info. Maybe I'll mention it again to my MD, or I should just lay off the diet soda. Easier solution, I guess??

Donna
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 13:24

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 292/286/235 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm getting ready to start taking Magnesium for the first time. I picked up a bottle of Nature's Made Magnesium, 250 mg, tablets from the local drug store. The primary ingredient is Magnesium Oxide. Is this an acceptable product?
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias
I'm getting ready to start taking Magnesium for the first time. I picked up a bottle of Nature's Made Magnesium, 250 mg, tablets from the local drug store. The primary ingredient is Magnesium Oxide. Is this an acceptable product?

NOPE. Unless you need a laxative, then it is great.

amanda
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 14:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias

Read this post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...229#post8331229

The info you need is there.

amanda