Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-13, 03:09

Plan: atkins..paleo later
Stats: 182/173/154 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default HRT & LC diets

I successfully lost weight following a paleo/atkins based diet last year, but have been going through menopause.
I am 50, and been flushing since about age 47. No periods for a couple of years,
I have been started on Climogest, a continuous combined HRT, and eating a 'normal' diet for the past 4-5 months, and have piled weight back on. I would like to return to the LC diet, but am worried about it due to the warnings with my HRT about high fat diets and blood clots etc.
I would be interested to read peoples views and thoughts about this, especially people who have experience.
There is some history in my family of blood clots, heart disease etc, which increases my concerns of course.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 02:50

BF:

Hello? Is there anyone out there who can help me with this please?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 03:06

BF:

This is the spec of the HRT I have been prescribed. http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/2664/spc
I don't think it is what is termed as bioidentical, but we have limited choices within the British National Health Scheme.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 06:49

BF:

guess I'll give up on this thread then. Not one opinion or thought or experience from anyone?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 06:51

BF:

or even a suggestion as to another thread that might help me?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 07:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Hally. I'm so sorry you haven't had any replies as yet.

I can tell you two things. Firstly, I have been low carbing while on HRT for several years now, and have had no problems such as you describe.
Secondly, thnose warnings would refer to people who eat high fat AND high carb.

I have never even heard of low carbing causing problems for women on HRT. Probably because such problems don't exist. And remember, it's the high carb diets that cause the problems. Looking through our Research forum should help reassure you about that.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 11:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fat doesn't cause blood clots, estrogen does though.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 12:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

This is the first time I saw this thread. I've been on estrogen replacement therapy for 14 years, and have been LC for 9. No problems whatsoever with clots or anything else. All lipids and blood sugar are normal, actually way better than normal. I had a cardiac scan about 5 years ago and scored 0 (that's perfect).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 04:10

BF:

Thanks for your replies ladies, I was starting to think no other LC'ers were on HRT, and maybe I was just too long in the tooth to be doing it lol!!
Your reassurances go a long way thanks.
I am aware I am slightly paranoid about clots...family history, and I am an ex-smoker. I expect I will take the plunge into LC again then, once we have enough daylight to get enough solar power to run the fridge again!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 09:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might have the same genetic predisposition I do. If anything, LC should reduce factors that cause clots. It might help to take fish oil too. Make sure your vitamin D3 levels are good too. Don't waste time on nattokinase, I think it is a scam. Taking vitamin K2 might be useful as is getting some exercise and activity throughout the day.

I would definitely NOT take estrogen. It isn't recommended at all if you have the Leiden Factor V gene.

Here's some advice on it:
Quote:
Know the symptoms
According to the National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thromobophilia, you should seek out medical attention immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms of DVT (leg clots):

DVT (leg clot) symptoms:
Swelling, usually in one leg
Leg pain or tenderness
Reddish or bluish skin discoloration
Leg warm to touch
PE (lung clot) symptoms:
Sudden shortness of breath
Chest pain-sharp, stabbing; may get worse with deep breath
Rapid heart rate
Unexplained cough, sometimes with bloody mucus
Don't smoke
A large Danish study found that women who smoked had a 52% increased risk for venous thromboembolism compared with women who had never smoked. For men, smoking conferred a 32% increase in risk. Heavy smokers had even higher risks.

Keep your weight in check
Obesity increases the risk of venous thromboembolism.

Get up and move
Venous thromboembolism is sometimes called "economy class syndrome" because sitting still for long periods of time, as on a cramped airplane, can cause sluggish blood flow, which in turn increases the risk for the formation of blood clots.

Talk to your doctor about hormones
Estrogen containing oral contraceptives and oral hormone replacement therapy are two commonly used medications that have been linked to increased clotting. Women taking these medications who also have genetic changes in their clotting factors and/or inhibitors are at especially high risk. Read more in the Oral Contraceptives, Hormone Replacement Therapy and Risk of Venous Thromboembolism Drug Response Report.

Learn your family medical history
A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in 2009 found that family history increases the risk of DVT to about the same degree as known genetic risk factors. A family history of DVT or a known genetic risk factor alone increases the odds of DVT by about two and a half times, but the presence of both increases the odds by 6.3 times. The U.S. Surgeon General's My Family Health Portrait tool can help you assemble your family medical history.

Learn more about the genetics of venous thromboembolism
The GeneReview article about venous thromboembolism can help you understand more about all of the genetic factors (including those that are not included in your 23andMe results) that have been associated with this disease.

Connect with relevant groups

Thrombophilia Awareness Project
National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thrombophilia
Additional sources of testing

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Jan-24-13 at 10:08.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 09:02

BF:

Thanks for that Nancy, very helpful.
Someone said to me that HRT removes calcium from the body and we should increase our calcium intake...any thoughts? I don't use milk or yoghurt at all, a little cheese and a little cream, but probably not a lot of calcium in what I have. Has anypone else heard of this?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 09:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I took HRT for a week, put on 5lbs and binned them. The way I see it, our bodies are going thru a change for a reason and so be it! Mind you, hot flashes and mood swings werent welcomed in my family lol!!! But hey, worse things happen

Jo xxx
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 09:53

BF:

Not sure about that, I didn't get a nights sleep for years because of hot flushes, it became unbearable!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 10:13

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Yeah, I had a really hard time with hot flashes when my (old) doc tried to take me off following the 2002 WHI study. My sleep was so disturbed that my blood pressure shot up. Once I got back on estrogen (new doc), it settled right back down and has stayed down.

There are definitely risks with estrogen and each woman has to weigh them for herself.

Oh, and estrogen and bone/calcium loss? Estrogen is protective of bone. Most women lose some significant bone when they go through menopause (that's why we see dowager's hump and broken hips in the elderly and not the general population). Calcium may need to supplemented, but Vitamin D is just as important, perhaps more so.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 02:52

BF:

Vitamin D...ok, I'll try that. Used to take it when I worked night shifts for 5 years, made a lot of difference to me then. I'll get back on it!