Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Girl Love Handles: The backlash"

GLH: The backlash

Savage Love, May 12, 2004

by Dan Savage

http://www.theonionavclub.com/savag....php?issue=4019

You had to know letters would pour in from women pissed off at your blatantly fat-phobic, sexist response to Butter With Your Rolls, the man who thought "girl love handles" created by low-rise jeans were "revolting." You agreed with him "100 percent," and said that women "should get the obesity epidemic under control" if we want to "flounce around in belly-and-backside-exposing pants."

Where the holy f*** do you (or any skinny white boy) get off saying what women are or are not allowed to wear? Face the facts, King Savage: Fat women are f*****g sexy. Here's some more news, Dan, for you and all your fat-hating, sexist buddies: Women's bodies belong to women and women only. F*** you and your fascist beauty standards. Why the f*** should we care what you think? Contrary to popular belief, not every woman wants to bow down and worship at the temple of your penis.
Fuck All Totalitarianism

As much as it might pain you, FAT, you need to go back and re-read BWYR's letter and my response. (http://www.theonionavclub.com/savag....php?issue=4017) He didn't say that only fat women looked bad in low-rise jeans. He pointed out that only a "select few" women look good in low-rise jeans, and begged "women who are overweight, tubby, fat, or just not properly proportioned to stop wearing jeans that show off or create rolls!" Once more, for emphasis: Most women don't have the kind of bodies that look good in low-rise jeans, fat or not.

In my response to BWYR, I stated that I agreed with him 100 percent—low-rise jeans are a visual blight. They look terrible on most people, particularly obese people. But pointing out that something isn't flattering isn't the same thing as saying that the person wearing the unflattering garment is unattractive or has to worship at the temple of my penis. God forbid. Women can, of course, wear whatever the hell they want. It's a free country. But that "free country" shit goes both ways, FAT. BWYR and I are free to think that low-rise jeans look terrible on most people and say so in public.

Finally, I didn't say that women have to get the obesity epidemic under control. I said that "we" do—all of us, male and female.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In anticipation of a GLH backlash, I'm writing from the ranks of the non-low-rise-wearing masses to thank you for the sound fashion advice. There's nothing misogynistic in telling it like it is. I've never found being a big girl a significant hurdle to getting dates, getting laid, or getting engaged, actually, to a hot, smart fella. It's simply been a matter of working what I've got, rather than working what I've got too much of, or trying to work what I wish I had. Your advice is analogous to telling a friend she's got spinach stuck between her otherwise lovely teeth.
Fan In Portland

Thanks for sharing, FIP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a silly, tossed-off response to a letter about "girl love handles," mix in not one but two mentions of the obesity epidemic, and publish. The result? Thousands of women all over the country developing eating disorders, bulimia, and anorexia, all because they don't fit some arbitrary standard of beauty. Nice job, Dan.
The Harm U Do

It's an article of faith that we can't talk about how much crap we're eating, or how awful we look in low-rise jeans, without inducing eating disorders in millions of silly and suggestible young women. But in his brilliant book Fat Land: How Americans Became The Fattest People In The World, Greg Critser blows this b******t argument out of the water. "[Does] fat awareness somehow [cause] eating disorders? ... The data—and the experience of physicians, health workers, and others in the field—consistently indicate otherwise," he writes. Our obsession with anorexia, Critser continues, not only covers up America's true eating disorder (we eat too much and we're too fat!), but it also hamstrings efforts to combat obesity, a condition that kills almost as many people every year as smoking does. Eating disorders, by way of comparison, lead to only a handful of deaths every year. If you're truly concerned about the health and well-being of young women, THUD, worry more about the skyrocketing rates of obesity-related diseases in young people (like Type-2 diabetes) and less about the imaginary link between anorexia and my low opinion of low-rise jeans. Jeez!

FAT!SO? says f*** you!

It saddens me to know that you continue to cling to your fat-hating prejudice. The same attempts were made to stuff queers back in the closet, just as you are now attempting to stuff proud fat rebels (and our low-rise jeans) back in our closet. F*** you! You're not required to like us or look at us or f*** us, but you are required to stay the hell out of the way of our liberation! My health is not in danger from my weight. (I eat right, exercise, and enjoy excellent health as a happy fat chick, no thanks to you or the fat-hating medical establishment!) However, your health may be endangered if you persist in promoting weight-based prejudice. Really, all that stress every time you step on the scale can't be good for you!

Flabulously!
Marilyn Wann (www.fatso.com)

There's a difference between hating fat people, Marilyn, and thinking fat folks don't look so hot in low-rise jeans. (And there's nothing "fat-hating" about being realistic about the health consequences of obesity! Please!) And frankly, I don't see what's so freaking "rebellious," you fat rebel you, about wearing ill-fitting pants. Who decided that low-rise jeans were fashionable, anyway? The same fashionistas who set the beauty standards that are such a torment to fat people everywhere. It must please these evildoers to no end to see fat women all over the world squeezing into pants that look awful on them. A true fat rebel would ignore the low-rise dictates of the fashionistas and wear pants that flattered her larger body, leaving the low-rise pants for the cigarette-smoking, chardonnay-swilling, solid-food-avoiding fashion victims out there.

Please tell BWYR that he doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about. I love women with a gut, and love seeing their bare midriffs! Seeing a bit of gut hanging out of low-rise jeans makes me very hot!
Loves Soft Rolls

And what if seeing naked, cute, skinny guys bent over at the waist with their wrists tied to their ankles made me very hot? (Strictly a hypothetical, Mom, I swear.) Should the fact that I find this sight arousing compel others to have to view it, too? Or should I be respectful of others and go to gay SM parties and/or Iraqi prisons administered by the U.S. Armed Forces if I want to see s*** like that?

If you are going to tell women that low-rise jeans only look good on a handful of people, then please also tell men that only a handful of them look good with no shirt at all! I would much rather be subjected to GLH than beer-gutted, love-handled, hairy-backed men all summer.
Heather

At the risk of inducing anorexia in millions of young men, I have to say that I agree with you 100 percent, Heather. Beer-gutted, love-handled, hairy-backed men shouldn't go shirtless in summer. Or any other season.

Last edited by tofi : Fri, May-14-04 at 15:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

This was hilarious! I thought I was the only one who thought/felt this way! I don't mind the low cut jeans on thin teens or young women, and I even find them nice on women who have a small tummy. But frankly? A woman with her gut hanging over the waistband, and a short shirt to show off her bulging midriff is - and this is my opinion - disgusting. But then, I'm also disgusted by men going shirtless with their guts hanging over thier waistbands or showing the infamous "crack".

I'm a big girl, and even though I am losing weight, I'm happy in my skin. But I would not ever wear something where my gut is hanging over and exposed! I also date a man who is a big guy (300 pounds) and has quite a bit of gut himself. He has never gone shirtless and is always sure to make himself presentable in public.

I don't get this recent craze among young people. But then, I don't think our young people have ever been this overweight before. (And I mean both men and women!)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:13

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I think the low rise jeans look bad on almost anyone (thin or not), but that's just my personal preference. Even were I thin as I could be, I'd prefer the fit of the 'to the waist' jeans.

I also don't care for the really baggy, underwear showing look, but again-just me.

#4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:20

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Whenever I would say to my boss that I was losing weight he would retort jokingly, "No you're not, look behind you."

Most of those people wearing inappropriate clothing for their age, size, shape don't see themselves as others see them. In fact, they don't even consider how they look.

I also agree with featherz that some fashions be they old or new just don't look good on anyone, fat or skinny.

Also, there are a lot of skinny people out there that look just as gross as the fat. Skin stretched over bone is never appealing especially if whatever is animating it is still alive. Also, some skinny people are also flabby. Never would have thunk it unless I'd seen it with my own eyes on several occasions.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:21

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love Dan Savage and totally agree! Now if he could only write something about my 80 y.o. shirtless neighbor!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:29

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Hmmm. I love my low-rise jeans.

Let people wear what they want. Who really cares?

- Paris
No longer so fat, but still a radical
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:31

Plan: Whole30
Stats: 300/269.2/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I agree with featherz - never liked the low-rise jeans. I go to stores and they have them for 6-7 year olds. I would never buy them for my daughter.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:41

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I am a teenager...I am a plus size girl and yes.. I do wear low rise jeans...the fit comfortably in the ass, and all! Where if I buy pants that the band is at my belly button, it look like my crotch is at my knees!!! I've noticed that every since I started Atkins the first flab to go was in my FUPA (Fat Upper Pelvic Area) and know my pants fit even better...but I guess if you don't like it don't look! Best Advice ever!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:37
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Smile Well there is low-rise, and Loooow-rise...

As a petite woman, I find that lower rise--roughly belly button jeans look much better than waist-high ones on me... mostly because waist-high is defined by 5'10" models, so when I at 5'3" wear waist-high stuff, it is horribly uncomfortable and looks silly.

Lower rise can nicely flatter a rounder tummy if they are cut right. A woman with tummy curves can be very lovely. Belly dancers, for example, wear lower rise cosutmes, and not all of them are thin women. There is some sensuality in a lovely round tummy.

Now I saw a woman at the gym today who was wearing her shorts so low I think I caught a glimpse of hair that I didn't really want to see. She wasn't particularly fat, nor was she thin, but I think that was a bit extreme and not quite tasteful.

I mean, I think people need to use common sense and look in the mirror. If YOU think it looks good, then YOU are the one who ultimately counts. But if it doesn't look good, try to be honest with yourself and find the size, cut, and fit that flatters you.

Anyone can look beautiful in clothes, and equally, anyone can look bad. Unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps) not everyone is born with the same taste.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I loved those low-risers when I was a skinny 14 year old and it was the early 70's. However, now that I'm more... ahem, mature, I utterly HATE it that every damn store, even the "large size" stores have made all their damn jeals have lower waistlines. What are they thinking?

One thing I notice with my young neice is that she is a little overweight and is unafraid to wear things that show off her body a little. I think that's so much more of a healthy attitude than what I grew up with where you didn't dare reveal any skin unless it were perfectly thin.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:59

Stats: 213/165/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

All I can think of when I see most of the local girls wearing their low rise jeans, and their tummies hanging out, even the skinny girls , is my mom hollerin at me when I was young, SUCK IN YOUR STOMACH! I cant get over how the girls just leave their guts stuck out and dont even try to suck it in a little. I think its funny after having that drummed into my brain. OF course, now I wish I could hold my tummy in more
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 17:03
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

More GLH: The backlash

Savage Love, May 19, 2004

by Dan Savage

http://www.theonionavclub.com/savag....php?issue=4020

Just a thanks for the "Girl Love Handles" backlash column. You were absolutely right, Dan. I'm in decent shape, but I would need to cut out beer and chocolate to achieve any sort of "show-offable" stomach. Not going to happen. I work out to KEEP enjoying my vices, thank you very much. So, my stomach, while not exactly drooping over my belt, stays under my shirt. If only 99 percent of low-rise wearers had as much self-awareness. I know you can't possibly reply to all of them, but I'd love to see more of the GLH responses. How about a link to an extra page of GLH letters?
Angelos

I love to see my readers smile, Angelos, so I've posted tons of responses to the GLH below.

What the fuck is it with the fat people complaining about other people's problem with love handles and low-rise jeans? Sure, fatties, wear whatever you want. Revel in your obesity. Go nuts. We're all happy for you. But, damn, let's not pretend that seeing rolls of fat squeezing up from your too-low pants is attractive, for God's sake. Even many thin people look bad in these pants. They are just not attractive—if you've got hips, and many women do, these pants are a bad idea. End of story. Nothing wrong with having hips. Plenty wrong with squeezing those hips somewhere they just don't fit.

As for all that angry mail, I don't question anyone's right to stuff themselves constantly until they weigh 50 or 100 pounds beyond what would be healthy. But, please, standing around yelling about how others absolutely must find that attractive is just silly. You're free to be fat. I, in turn, am free to find that not attractive. Especially when you wear something that showcases all that extra fat you're dragging around. It's perfectly possible for a fat person to look attractive. It in no way involves squeezing yourself into ill-fitting clothes. That goes for fat girls, fat boys, hairy-backed men, anorexic women, and all others out there.
Tired Of All That Whining

As a well-traveled physical educator, I am astonished at the type of fat-justification that goes on in the U.S. Our society, as a whole, is obese. More than 50 percent of deaths in this country are due to CVD—coronary vascular diseases—which include heart attack and stroke, just to name a few. There is mounting evidence that breast and prostate cancers are related to excessive consumption of fat. Recent articles in the Journal Of Physical-Education, Recreation, And Dance show that our poor eating habits start in childhood, and that the U.S. has more obese and out-of-shape children than any other industrialized nation. Those who are in denial might take a look at John Robbins' Diet For A New America if they have a strong stomach—or, if they'd rather just see the growing body of evidence without any analysis, they should watch the recently released documentary Super Size Me.

As you are coming to understand from the many letters you are receiving, obesity in America is almost more of a social problem than a physical one. The effects of overeating are physical, but the causes are myriad and often difficult to overcome. These range from the unprecedented availability of unhealthy food in our society to a culture of "blame the other guy" to the pace of life. Genetics has not been shown to be a major component in obesity in the majority of people. As with alcoholism, many obese people are in denial—and, as such, approaches that emphasize compassion and understanding, but also common sense (eat less fat and sugar and exercise more), are needed. Counseling is needed just as much as exercise.

As a parting shot, my wife, who has to buy small or petite sizes here in the U.S., has to buy large sizes when we travel in Europe—this is how skewed America's sense of health is. Europeans are not undernourished, as we'd like to believe; Americans are over-fat. Being politically correct about it won't change the fact that obesity is unhealthy.
Dr. Feel Bad

I'm a big fan of your column and your book, so I was very disappointed to read that you've been sucked in by all the current hysteria about so-called "obesity." I was especially taken aback by your reference to Greg Critser's ignorant and bigoted screed Fat Land as a "brilliant" critique of our supposed obesity epidemic.

Actually, if you look beyond the alarmist junk-science cranked out by diet doctors pushing their useless, expensive, and dangerous cures for an imaginary disease, you'll find a situation quite similar to the medical community's attitude toward sexual orientation a generation ago. A fat person is no more diseased because he or she is larger than average than a gay person is diseased because he or she doesn't share the most common sexual orientation. The claim that fat people choose to be fat is quite similar to the claim that gay people choose to be gay. In other words, it's not completely false—it's only about 97 percent false. And attempts to make fat people thin have been about as constructive as attempts to make gay people straight.

As for the claim that fat is a major health hazard, it's wildly exaggerated, as is the claim that losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off improves health—even if such a thing were possible, which it isn't for the vast majority of people.

Anyway, I've just published a book about all of this, which you can read about at www.obesitymyth.com.
Paul Campos

I realize you've gotten tons of responses about this, but I'll add one more anyway: A few years ago, it was possible to buy jeans and other pants with a somewhat lower rise than the high-waisted pants associated with those Mom wears. These were actually pretty attractive on most people, sat just a couple of inches or so below the natural waist, did not squeeze at the sides, and so on.

The problem is—and trust me as someone who just spent several weeks trying to buy a new pair of jeans—styles are totally different now. It's pretty much impossible to find jeans cut like they were a few years ago, and instead, everything is ultra-low-rise. These jeans begin about a half-inch below where pubic hair starts. Even without the problem of side meat, or GLH, or whatever you want to call it, this is not at all attractive. The mom pants are still an option, but they have their own problems.

This isn't even really about obesity or body image; sometimes (most of the time, really), it's just not appropriate to walk around with your ass and pubic hair poking out of your jeans, no matter what size you are.

I capitulated and bought a pair of jeans that are way lower than I wanted, and I do my best not to expose more of myself than I want to. But I ask you not to judge us because of the low-waisted jeans, because we do the best we can. And, although I realize this is not a shopping column, I would welcome suggestions for other styles.
Low Riser

I have a small addition to the "Girl Love Handles" debate. Most of the girls I see with low-rise-induced GLH are slim girls who think there is something prestigious about shoehorning themselves into a pair of size 2 jeans when they really ought to be wearing size 4. As a size 16, it's a relief to see that even slim girls can make ridiculous fashion mistakes that make them look like whales. It just goes to show that "skinny" does not equal "looks good in everything." All women should check the rear view before they leave the house. (And what's up with capri pants? It's not enough to look fat; they want to look dumpy, too? I don't get it.)
Curvy Girl With Fashion Sense

Just want to say thank you for being a voice of reason in this otherwise easily inflamed, non-reading-Dan's-actual-words, crazy, fucked-up society. As a woman who occasionally wears low-rise pants (but not with cropped shirts, good lord) and is among the large percentage of women who don't really look all that great in them, I was not in the least bit offended. You are 100 percent right. I just finished reading Fat Land, and I agree—we can't even talk about our huge obesity problem (one that will cost taxpayers a fortune in medical care) without someone taking offense or saying that it will cause women to become anorexic. That, in my mind, is the bigger problem. We live in a crazy, fucked-up world, Dan. Thanks for speaking up.
Low-Rise-Wearing Fan

OH, PLEASE! "I eat right, exercise, and enjoy excellent health as a happy fat chick." Please tell Marilyn that if she ate right and exercised, she would not be a fat chick! I was a fat guy of 300 pounds until I started eating right and exercising. A funny thing happens when you eat right and exercise: You lose weight!
Now A Former Fat-Ass (NAFFA!)

There are few things on this earth that irritate me more than people harping about how all people are equally attractive and deserving to be thought of as such regardless of weight. It is only a symptom of our culture's need to veil harsh truths in order to avoid confronting them. Speaking as a fat, hairy-backed man myself, I would like to play devil's advocate and suggest that (while there are exceptions) there is a standard for attractiveness amongst all humans, and that if you do not care to have the sharp end of this standard pointed at you, lose the goddamn weight and shave the goddamn back. Everyone is not equally beautiful, and everyone knows this—even those who would cry fascism to the people who admit this out loud. As for me, if I ever do care to be seen ranked among the attractive, I know what I'll have to do. Until that day, I'll keep working hard to become rich, a quality that swiftly negates physical repugnance to all potential female prospects.
Contented Fat Load

Sorry, Dan, but you're wrong on this one.

While you certainly have the "It's a free country" argument on your side, you set the parameters of your column as Savage Love: love, sex, dating, relationships, and so on. This is what your readers have come to expect, and you cover those topics well, with a sense of irreverence that is refreshing.

But fashion opinions? Please, no. While I agree with you on the low-rise/inappropriateness epidemic, I just don't think your column is the place to debate the topic. Leave that to the "Fashion Police."

And the "fat is unhealthy" angle? Um, pot, meet kettle. I scarcely need to remind you of the disease that is nearly synonymous with the minority population you occupy. Asking fat people not to be overweight because it's unhealthy is like asking gay men not to cruise because it's risky. We all have our little vices, and we all reap the hazards. Stay with what you do best, Dan. Please.
Loyal But Dissenting

I'm a formerly skinny guy who has put on quite a bit of weight after my girlfriend nagged me constantly to do so. I've put on enough that I'm starting to be able to pull some love handle on my sides. I used to look like a cute, skinny little fag boy (you might have liked me in my tighty-whities back then), but now I just look like another well-fed American. I don't like my body as much, but she loves it and says so all the time. In response to all the talk about who should wear what, I think it's important to note that it's strictly a matter of personal preference, and that it can be fuck-all confusing if you try to pander to too many people's tastes. Just make sure the one you love is happy. Everyone else can turn their heads if they don't want to see you.
Can't Please Everyone

Has the whole world jumped into the deep end of the hypersensitivity pool?

I am a size 12 woman living (quite happily) in a size 2 world. If women could be honest with themselves, they would recognize that 90 percent of the fashions for "women" on the racks these days are designed for women who have no waist, hips, or bust (2 percent of the female population—MAYBE) and look like hell on the rest of us. I cannot criticize Butter With Your Rolls, because he is right. I myself flinch every time I see another woman who has deluded herself into thinking she looks good in clothes that THE FASHION INDUSTRY dictates are currently "in." I flinch not because these women look bad enough to shame the rest of us, but because they don't seem to know any better.

With a little careful shopping, and an understanding and acceptance of her individual shape, any woman can easily create a wardrobe that is both stylish and flattering. Personally, I refuse to allow the hive mentality of a multi-billion-dollar industry to dictate what I can and can't wear.
A REAL Woman

Marilyn Wann is an embarrassment to this fat feminist.

Writing a letter full of fuck-yous, boring clichés, and exclamation points is not going to get any point about "fat liberation" across to anyone. I have always been a big, fat girl. I also exercise 30 minutes a day, have an on-my-feet job, and have been vegan for years. I love myself and my body. I think I look pretty ridiculous in low-rise jeans, and think many of my fat peers do, too. I'll also never look good in yellow. Boo hoo. "A true fat rebel would ignore the low-rise dictates of the fashionistas and wear pants that flattered her larger body, leaving the low-rise pants for the cigarette-smoking, chardonnay-swilling, solid-food-avoiding fashion victims out there." Bravo, Dan. Thanks for being the voice of reason in this world of walking on eggshells about people's feelings.
Fat Girl In Upstate New York

Where the holy fuck do you get off saying what hairy-backed men are or are not allowed to wear? Here's some news, Dan, for you and all your hair-hating, Schick-worshipping buddies: Men's bodies belong to men. Fuck you and your fascist beauty standards. Contrary to popular belief, not every man wants to bow down and worship at the temple of your shiny, glabrous shafts.

FUR-IES say fuck you! It saddens me to know that you continue to cling to your hair-hating prejudice. The same attempts were made to stuff queers back in the closet, just as you are now attempting to stuff proud bush rebels (and our proudly fur-lined ass cracks) back into our closet. Fuck you! You're not required to like us or look at us or fuck us, but you are required to stay the hell out of the way of our pubes!

Take a letter about "men's hairy backs," mix in not one but two mentions of shirtlessness, and publish. The result? Thousands of men all over the country developing razor-burn, hair-wax pimples, and laser-treatment debt, all because they don't fit some arbitrary standard of beauty.
The Fuzz Liberation Front

I am a theater costumer and designer. And, while it is true that the populace by and large does not have body types suited to most of the major fashion trends, the real issue is that most people are morons when buying clothes. Take low-rise jeans, for example. I happen to be very short-waisted, with a curvy figure. Jeans are always cut too high on my torso. For me, low-rise jeans are a godsend, because they help lengthen my waistline and give the illusion of more balanced proportions. This information is boring, I know. But here's the deal: I am not a ridiculously thin person. I've got a little padding around the waist, yet I manage to avoid the Girl Love Handles. Want to know my secret? I buy pants that are my size!

See, the issue with the current fashion trend isn't that fat people or pleasantly plump people or even skinny people can't wear low-rise jeans. The issue is that women are so worried about fitting into the smallest possible size that they buy clothes that don't fit them. If it's snug, go a size bigger and the GLH will go away. It's like magic.

I've had to costume many different body types in my day, and the problem with styles is that you have to figure out which ones work with what you've got and which ones are unflattering. Unfortunately, most people are so worried about the numbers in the pants, they don't pay attention to what actually makes them look good. They believe that if they can squeeze into that smaller size, they're a better person. Well, it's bullshit. The epidemic isn't the low-rise jeans; it's the belief that the smaller size is always more desirable. Come on, ladies. I can't see the label, but I can see the body trying to escape from clothing that's too small. If the fabric can move a little, your body will thank you.
Tight Is Not A Good Fit
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 14:11

Stats: 319/240/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

As a very short rised person, who would not be able to buy pant's if it were not for the low rise jeans, I have a problem with everyone who paints all low rise jeans with the same brush. First of all there are low-rise and then there are ultra low rise. The latter should be reserved for Brazilian Super-Models, but the former, when worn properly, look good on most people. Larger women can look great in low-rise jeans as long as they fit. It's when you see those poor women squeezing themselves into low-rise jeans that are three sizes too small, that you have to sigh. Besides the obvious discomfort factor, rolls of hip fat and tummy hanging out is not attractive.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Lower rise jeans give me a butt, if I wear jeans with the regular waist they gap in the back at the waist because I have no fat back there, and they pooch out in the tummy and the waistband rolls/folds in the front from the pressure of my belly. But I found some nice lower rise jeans at TARGET of all places- they are kind of a thinner material, they don't make my butt look like a wall, they don't make my tummy hang out or bunch, and they don't cling in the wrong places, and they are LONG! I used to only be able to find long jeans at the Gap. Now..when you talk about women who shouldn't be wearing them at all..they are usually wearing a style meant for juniors, usually too small anyway, and wearing the wrong clothes with them. Low rises flatter most bodies.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 05:30
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

LOL 2 funny. I say to each there own. My daughter looks adorable in them , but ME? Pfffffffffff, I wouldn't be caught dead in those or the new bell bottoms called mudd flaps or flares!

LMAO

Angel