Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 13:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/164/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Help..so discouraged......

Hi...............I have been on low carb since 4-5 and have only lost 5 lbs and that was the firsr 4 days which I think was water weight....Iam 70 and almost 50 lbs overweight........so unhappy and discouraged...I am on meds for bp and chlos and pain in joints and on and on...5 pills....and the 2 bp I am taking...they first thing it says on side effects is weight gain.........................when I was youger and gowing as a parent with kids.... I never weighed more then 120 and then after 55 this all happened and also when all the pills came into my life.............I have gone around and round with the dr but he says the pills are more important then the weight and I disagree..................hard for me to climb stairs....to walk in the neighborhood...even just to put my socks on!.....I follow the directions and do not cheat..........I stay under 20 carbs a day.....example
Breakfast......scrammbled eggs 2 with little cream cheese mixed in...and a dish of chopped spinach and almonds
Lunch.....3 pcs of thin lunchmeat and 1 cheese stick cut in 3 pcs and wrapped each pcs in the 3 meats.......lettuce and cherry tom and spinach salad..................dinner..........small pc of salmon with steamed asparagus and a cup of unsalted broth...............for snacks I have abt 5 almond............or........jello.....................I used to drink alot of coke 0 but have stopped..........................I cant fgure it out..........................years ago I would hav lost at least 20 # s by now...........................does anyone looking from the outside know what Iam doing wrong? thanks for listening..................

Last edited by Moochie : Fri, Apr-24-15 at 13:17. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 13:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

As a +50 woman, I'm hear to tell you it is very slow going. All those meds you're on don't help either. The cholesterol meds can make your blood sugar wonky (even give you diabetes). Are you sure the joint pain isn't from them (yes, that's another side-effect). NSAIDs can cause weight gain too.

Years ago it was much, much easier for me to lose weight too. Best thing to do is settle in for the long haul and hopefully you can get off some of those pills. Ultimately you're the person who decides what pills you're going to swallow. You might want to research it a bit and make the decision for yourself.

Lots of links in my signature about those cholesterol meds.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 15:22

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

WOW! You've lost 15% of what you aim to lose, in less than 3 weeks!
No worries on it being the first few days. It's fairly normal for losses to halt for a couple of weeks after the initial whoosh.
Keep doing what you're doing and the weight will slowly come off.
This is really a way of eating for life. There is no "end", so there isn't much need to rush. Your body will get there in it's own sweet time if you feed it right.
Keep your expectations realistic......2-4 pounds per month on average, with lots of ups and downs along the way. Weightloss is seldom linear.
Focus on the non-scale things if you can. Do you feel better? Less bloated? More energy?
And you may just get off some of that medication after a few months too!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 18:39

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Moochie
I am 72, 73 next month. I have been at this since August and have lost over 30 pounds. My advice to you is to look at the list of food you are allowed on induction. I stuck pretty close to that list for months. I did not eat nuts, or cream cheese or cheese and very little cream. I lost 4 pounds the first month and have never lost more than a pound a week. It is slow.

I don't know how tall you are but I am 5'1" and I am now stuck at 162. I have been there for over a month now. Earlier, I was stuck at 168 for a month. I am telling you this because at our age it is really hard to get as low as we used to be. Also even when I am not losing on the scale I have lost inches.

I am struggling with high cholesterol and fighting statins. So I sympathize with you on the meds.

Best wishes, you are doing great, don't be discouraged. Keep up the good work. Join in some of the challenges on this forum so you can have a cheering squad for every small victory. Just jump in even if the challenge has already started.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 20:08
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochie
Hi...............I have been on low carb since 4-5 and have only lost 5 lbs and that was the firsr 4 days which I think was water weight....Iam 70 and almost 50 lbs overweight........so unhappy and discouraged...I am on meds for bp and chlos and pain in joints and on and on...5 pills....and the 2 bp I am taking...they first thing it says on side effects is weight gain.........................when I was youger and gowing as a parent with kids.... I never weighed more then 120 and then after 55 this all happened and also when all the pills came into my life.............I have gone around and round with the dr but he says the pills are more important then the weight and I disagree..................hard for me to climb stairs....to walk in the neighborhood...even just to put my socks on!.....I follow the directions and do not cheat..........I stay under 20 carbs a day.....example
Breakfast......scrammbled eggs 2 with little cream cheese mixed in...and a dish of chopped spinach and almonds
Lunch.....3 pcs of thin lunchmeat and 1 cheese stick cut in 3 pcs uand wrapped each pcs in the 3 meats.......lettuce and cherry tom and spinach salad..................dinner..........small pc of salmon with steamed asparagus and a cup of unsalted broth...............for snacks I have abt 5 almond............or........jello.....................I used to drink alot of coke 0 but have stopped..........................I cant fgure it out..........................years ago I would hav lost at least 20 # s by now...........................does anyone looking from the outside know what Iam doing wrong? thanks for listening..................
Hi Moochie. First of all, a big {{{hug}}} for you.

I'm only a pup of 65, but have been through some of the complaints you mention. At one stage (a while back now) I was on 5 different drugs that had "possible weight gain" as one of the side effects.

On to those pesky statins. First of all, I urge you, if you haven't done so already, to read the links in Nancy's signature. When I first joined this forum, way back in 2002, I too was taking statins. And after reading just a little bit about them here (in the Research section), I simply stopped taking them. I knew my doctor was going to be really unhappy, so I took the easy way out and, ah, didn't tell him. I kept accepting scripts that I never filled, and fortunately for me he retired soon after that. I was a bit braver with the new dr, and simply told him I didn't agree with the lipid hypothesis. He shook his head but said it was my choice. Which it is.
The thing is with cholesterol drugs - and I apologize to be raving on for so long here - that they have been pretty much proven to be worthless.
1. For women, statins have never been shown to be of any value whatsoever.
2. For anybody at all, unless they have actually had a heart attack, they have never been shown to be of any value whatsoever.
3. For older women, that's those of us who are post menopausal, a higher cholesterol is better and healthier than the so called "normal".
I really, really hope you stop taking them.

I also used to get a lot of joint pain. [Stand by for an advertising message ] Until a few years back when I read here on this forum about the virtues of taking Vitamin D3. Now I used to walk with a heavy limp, struggle up stairs one at a time (if you know what I mean) and sleeping, oh boy. I could only sleep by having a heating pad under my hips. (Can't sleep on back or front due to chronic back pain) Trouble was the heating pad turned itself off every 2 hours, so... Anyway, within a few weeks of taking 10,000 units of D3, the bulk of that pain had gone and has stayed gone.
Now you may already take Vit D, but if not I urge you to give it a try.

Now to the weight loss. As you can see from my stats, I have lost 100 pounds. But I have to tell you, it took me a long, long time, with lots and lots of ups and downs along the way. So never give up! And do as Susan (omablue) suggests and join some challenges to get yourself a cheer squad. Our forum is chock full of friendly people.

All the very best to you, matey.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 23:12
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

Im on a cocktail of meds as well and ballooned in weight by 60lbs and lost 30 pretty quick.I struggle with the concept of weight gain because of meds. The way I see it if I stoped eating and still took the meds I would eventually turn to skin and bones and die, so I figure it is possible to lose weight on meds...its just a lot harder but its doable
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 10:48

Stats: 168/164/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

to: NancyLC, Livinright, Omablue, Rosebud and Zoran........
thank you so ,much for your replys.........it really made me feel great that so many pros would take the time to give me a pep talk and great advice is heart warming...I will start again....stick to the main list for now, talk to the dr again and check out these meds alot better to see what I can do myself and then move on slowly, knowing I will make it ....even if it takes me alot longer then I expected. Thank you all.....Mary (Moochie)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 20:19

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I know this is an older post, but I hope things are going better for you. I've been at this one year this month and am still struggling to lose weight. Please don't get discouraged and give up.

I hear ya on the pain. What I do is rub magnesium water on my sore joints. Seems to help, it even helps headaches, and calming a chronic cough.

Hope you feel better soon
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-07-15, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Magnesium-wonder mineral & Patience

HI to Moochie…. everyone is right on with the facts…. you've done great.. we all know it is often "unclear expectations" that can cause a fail ..when we are doing well after all!

here's why--every buff 26 year old guy has a nutrition website and muscle build program. these are supremely young and healthy MEN…when women the same age do this they can also lose but they start mucking up their hormones, and making life harder in the future on many levels!!

We are older and wiser, but patience is still a lost art. Our culture no longer supports it either.

Dr. Perlmutter (Grain Brain & his new book) and other biologists warn on the pushing of useless statins…it is a cash industry NOT a medical aid.

Magnesium to the rescue-
Magnesium, sprayed on as an oil, massaged in to sore joints DAILY and taken as a supplement can FIX the real problem. Too much calcium!! ..causing hardening plaques, and balances the calcium 1:1. 70% of women are FAR SHORT of the min. 320 mg.a day, and experts say we need 700 mg a day due to stress, pain, old age..see? (Read Dr. Dean's fact packed article, attached)

The solution may be adding Mg, which aids is in 800 separate body chemical actions…INCLUDING fixing charlie horse/leg cramps, and adding MORE energy.

Plus Magnesium regulate carbohydrate metabolism at the molecular level, so weight loss is improved.

I am absolutely sold on the benefits, and after just a short time am feeling so much better, started dropping weight again, and relief fro the cramps is a blessing.

Last edited by MuddyGurl : Thu, May-07-15 at 23:44. Reason: typos again
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-19-15, 07:44

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

I just turned 74 last Sunday, I can't exercise at all, but I can lose weight. It is extremely hard and you have to keep coming up with new ideas to try to keep up weight losses. It is hard but it is possible. You must have patience. It got harder the closer I get to goal.

The diet is a way of life to me. I keep looking for new ways to jump start losses. My body does fight losing. I think being stubborn helps me. I think a pound a month is a really good loss.