Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/197/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default KASSY

Kassy
I know that this is a hadr subject but I have a question for you. How long did your father in law live after he found out that he had lung cancer? How bad was the cancer when they found it? Did he go through chemo and radaition?
The reason why I ask is we just found out that my Dad has lung cancer a couple of weeks before Christmas. It is real bad it is, it is taking up almost his whole right lung and it is to high into his broncial tubes to opperate. He spent a week in the hospital and a month at my house while he was going through the radation. He only had 2 chemo treatments, they had to stop the cheom because it eas to hard on him. Making him to sick and his hair was falling out after only 2 treatment. They said the radiation had shrunk his tummor enough to allow him to breath out of his right lung a little bit. They wont tell us how long he has to live.
I know you can't tell me this either but I never knew anyone that had cancer and I was just wondering how long Your father in law lived I thought if I could find enough people to talk about it I might be able to get some sort of an idea.
There are alot of things that my Mom needs to think about and do before he dies, and I just need to know how hard to push her to get theese things done. They have no health insurance other than medicare and no life insurance. My Father can no longer work with his cancer. And when he dies she will losse even more of ther income from his pention. She is going to be in bad shape financially. Her health isn't very good either and she is so over weight it is going to be hard for her to find a job that she can do. She can't stand all day so she has to find a job where she can sit most of the time. She really dosent have any job experience because my Dad never wanted her to work.
Now let's be honest who is going to hier a 66 year old lady that weights about 300 pounds at five feet tall and no job experience. That's mean to say but it is the cold hard truth. Unemployment is way up here and they have lots to choose from. She is going to be in real bad shape when he is gone.
Well I'm sorry for rambeling on for so long. Guess I just really needed to talk to someone, hope you understand.
Susan
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 17:09
Registered Member

Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default BE BRAVE

Susan, its hard to tell how long aperson will go on living after being found to have Cancer, as there are so many different types
but if it is of any help to you my auntie has just died of lung cancer we go to her funeral on wed this week she was told 7 months ago, now she was 80 years old, my ex mother-in-law was told she had lung cancer, she refused any therepy and she lasted 1 month, my uncle was taken into hospital aged 43 and they did'nt even have time to tell him that he had lung cancer he died before the test results came back to confim it, so you see its very hard to tell, if its possible then you should go and see his doctor he should be able to give you a fairly accurate answere to your questions, maybe your mum already has been told but wont face it or is afraid to tell you what is really going on but dont be hard on her, maybe you and her could go and visit your dads doctor, then you will be in a better position to sort things out.

I hope everything works out OK for all of you, keep in touch I always belive that no matter how bleak things look if you think straight and dont bury your head then everything will turn out OK in the end.

Take Care

Carol
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 05:49

Stats: 195/195/130
BF:
Progress:
Default 1 month smoke free

My husband and I quit smoking 1 month ago for our neices and newphews. And we both feel 100% better. Now it is time to shed the extra pounds that creeped on about the time I started smoking. You can do it!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:43

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Susan

Susan,

I am sorry for the pain that you are going through. This is a painful disease for everybody who is involved. You really can't tell how long a person has. My father in law suffered from Hotchinson lymphoma first for 5 years, and developed the lung cancer a year ago. He was a strong, brave man. He ended his treatments about 4 months ago because his body couldn't take anymore.
Ask your doctor what he thinks timewise. He will probably give you a range. We knew as of 6 months ago that he only had 3-6 months to live.
You should get his affairs in order now. Just in case he goes earlier than you expected. I know this is difficult to say, but you should also discuss with him about whether or not he wants to sign DNR (do not resesitate). It should be his choice while he is still in sound mind.
Also, you said that your mom will have a hard time working. Does she have any friends that own any businesses that may be able to offer her a job? Or possibly if there are any elderly people in your community looking for a companion. Many elderly people pay someone to stay with them through the day. This is a job that she would not have to be on her feet, and she would also be getting some companionship.
Best of luck to you, and hang in there. You need to be strong for yourself and your mother. Put your faith in God.
Keep in touch.
Kassy