Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/265/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Help

Good Morning Everyone:
I am new to this forum and also new to the whole low carb thing. I am starting Atkins tomorrow, however I am a bit confused. I have bought the book and been reading it, but also been reading actual "atkins" websites as well. Some are telling me I can have certain things and some are contradicting certain things. That is not the worst though. What I really need help with is this: I am gluten intolerant. I am very unsure what all I can have on this diet, where my choices are so very limited. (in both low carb and gluten free items) especially for the induction phase. Can anyone out there help me? Is anyone else gluten intolerant and doing atkins? I would really appreciate any help. I really want to start this tomorrow but I am just so unsure how to start.
Thank you,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and Welcome, tdawn!

There are many many people here that are gluten intolerant that follow an LC WOE because of it and have been über successful in not only losing the weight, but keeping it off for many years if NOT decades!

The version of Atkins I follow (A '72) doesn't allow for any types of gluten products especially at the Induction Level. The A '72 version is the most restrictive, IMHO but works wonders for people like me that have a chronic carbohydrate metabolic processing disorder and are über carb sensitive.

Which version of Atkins are you following?

Wishing you much success on your personal journey to better Health!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
Have you bought the newest Atkins Made Easy? If so, follow only the meal plan that is all Real Food, no products.
Many on this forum are gluten intolerant, and just use a real food LC plan. No gluten -free products at all needed. Use vegetables instead of pasta, etc. Dr Davis's Wheat Belly is a great plan to use WITH Low Carb. Use his food list with a 20-30g carb limit for the day. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/

Here is a thread with other views on the newest book: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471342
Like Jo, suggest you start with a stricter induction plan like this one at the top of the Atkins forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:38

BF:
Progress:

Hi,
thanks for responding. You know what? I am not sure which version I am following. I have the book on atkins. I think its the new revolutionary approach. where would I find your version you follow? Would i get it online? (at least the induction part?)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:42

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Janet for responding to me. I will check out those links.
I do have one more question: It says decaffinated coffee or tea, but I had read on another atkins site that you could have caffeine just in moderation and if you were a big caffeine drinker it might be best to try and drink a little less each day until you were completely off caffeine. Do you know if this is true? I am a big coffee drinker. Especially mornings and sometimes mid afternoon?
Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:51

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Hi tDawn and welcome to the forum.

I am gluten intolerant and somewhat dairy intolerant and follow LC whole foods works for me. One of the great things about it is learning to cook/bake GF foods that taste good. I have learned use pork rinds for breading, coconut flour and flax meal for baking and coconut milk and heavy cream for diary. In my opinion I eat and feel much better living the LC lifestyle.

As for Atkins products, I don't use them at all.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 11:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawn
Hi,
thanks for responding. You know what? I am not sure which version I am following. I have the book on atkins. I think its the new revolutionary approach. where would I find your version you follow? Would i get it online? (at least the induction part?)
Was this addressed to me? If so, here's a link to the version I do. All the information is on the first page of the thread. A '72 is Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution published in 1972, his first book!

The thread is called Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=471144&page=1

The second post on that thread has the "Induction Rules, Foods List, DR No No's & Other Notes" that will give you a really good idea how A '72 works, if that's the version you are doing!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 11:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Thanks Janet for responding to me. I will check out those links.
I do have one more question: It says decaffinated coffee or tea, but I had read on another atkins site that you could have caffeine just in moderation and if you were a big caffeine drinker it might be best to try and drink a little less each day until you were completely off caffeine. Do you know if this is true? I am a big coffee drinker. Especially mornings and sometimes mid afternoon?
Thanks

These are the guidelines used at Dr Westman's clinic, based on Atkins clinic around 2000.

Quote:
BEVERAGES Drink as much as you would like of the allowed beverages, do not force fluids beyond your capacity. The best beverage is water. Essence-flavored seltzers (zero carbs) and bottled spring and mineral waters are also good choices.

Caffeinated beverages: Some patients find that their caffeine intake interferes with their weight loss and blood sugar control. With this in mind, you may have up to 3 cups of coffee (black, or with artificial sweetener and/or cream), tea (unsweetened or artificially sweetened), or caffeinated diet soda per day.

After my caffeine in the morning (will never give that up!) I switch to decaf and herbal teas in the afternoon.

There are only minor differences between the original 1972, the 1992 New Diet Revolution, and the 2010 New Atkins and even the newest book, Atkins Made Easy, IF you stick with real foods. It's the addition of products that many find slow weight loss.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-21-16 at 05:30.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 11:23

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

FWIW, I would completely ignore the "Atkins" website, as it's set up for one main purpose: to promote their Frankenfood products.

Either of Dr Atkins books, Dr Atkins Diet Revolution, or Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution is a great source. The website, not so much.

Janet (Jey) is a great source for websites that are actually useful for someone new to a low carb way of eating.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-16, 23:02

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone for your help.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-16, 09:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm gluten and dairy intolerant and eating LC actually makes it much easier. I follow the Paleo diet (mostly) which is naturally gluten and dairy free.

Eating whole foods like meat, veggies, nuts is really good for you and contains no gluten. The thing you have to do is just pretend that prepared foods don't exist. Learn to cook if you don't know how.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 13:43
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

tdawn,
I'm a little late to the party, but would like to reiterate what others have said.

If you want to know which Atkins plan you are doing, is to tell us the exact title of the book, and the copyright date from the title page inside. I'm guessing you using the 2009 version, which I'm not sure how much it differs from the 2002 version (which I learned). It may not end up making a lot of difference for you, but the key take away is this: learn to eat, and eat natural foods like meats, vegetables from his list, and the kinds of fats he recommends. DO STAY away from bars, shakes, frozen meals, etc., and do stay away from the Atkins Nutritionals (oxymoron?) website, which has really only the purpose of selling products.

The good news for you is that the diet as spelled out in the plan is naturally gluten free, which is the best. My wife is celiac, though she's not low carb. She eats fruits, and doesn't really go after a lot of fats on her diet. Definitely stay away from all of the gluten-free baked goods, breads, crackers, etc. I can tell you that they are full of carbs and will fight against you.

You will learn, eventually, the beauty and simplicity of eating a diet made up primarily of meats, fats, and fibrous veggies, along with cheeses (if not dairy-intolerant) and eventually nuts if you choose to. I encourage you to come here and ask questions regularly. Start a journal in the Journals and Bootcamps section and just come and put your thoughts out there.

With the great supportive community here, you will learn to struggle and work your way through.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-16, 14:37

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone:
Can anyone out there help me? Is anyone else gluten intolerant and doing atkins? I would really appreciate any help. I really want to start this tomorrow but I am just so unsure how to start.
Thank you,

Sorry I am late to the party (what else is new). I am gluten intolerant and doing Atkins.

Since this WOE doesn't allow bread, pancakes, crackers, cookies (you get the idea), it's really a "nothing burger." You shouldn't be eating those things anyway.

That said, since I am on a "higher rung" of Atkins than someone on induction, (I have been LC and GF 20 months now) I do allow a little breading on chicken now and then. First there is almond meal, but Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-purpose Baking Mix is pretty darned good. I don't eat ANY baked goods, but I do dredge chicken and fish in the baking mix. Once in a great while.

It's really quite simple, think eggs/bacon for breakfast, chef salad for lunch, and meat/veggie for dinner. Fear not the butter. Keep your pantry/fridge free of things with chemical names and secret codes for sugar and READ LABELS. You should avoid things with labels anyway.

If you need crunch, get a bag of fried pork rinds.

There is a ton of info in these here boards, you only have to go digging. You will feel like a million bucks.What's not to love about that!