Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/158/135 Female 64"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 78%
Default *tries not to act TOO much like a hopeful puppy*

[Man, this turned out long.]

At the risk of sounding emo, I'm stuck not knowing where, or if, I belong. But this area seems so welcoming that I just can't resist saying hello.

When I joined the site, I originally had my stats set to reflect the starting weight I recorded this April, but after a few days it started to make me feel like a fraud, like I was representing myself as someone who'd never been all that overweight, and that's just not true. So here I am, numbers and all. I feel drawn to getting to know members of the TDC, because as you can see, once I'm at what I now consider my final goal, I will have lost right at 105 pounds.

Thing is--and this is why I feel unsure--it's been almost six years since I was at my high weight. I lose very slowly anyway, but I've also had several periods of alternately starving myself [and thus slowing my metabolism] and then saying "the heck with it" and just not watching what I was doing at all. I was lucky in that I rarely regained much, so in a sense I do still consider this all just one really long diet, but man, six years.

It's very hard for me to remember what it was like to be at my largest...and yet sometimes the memories of growing up a fat kid, and then becoming a fatter woman, are so painfully clear it might as well still be happening. I don't know how to explain it any better than this, so I probably sound pretty flaky, but I think some thoughts and attitudes are never going to leave me. I may talk a good game sometimes, and act like it's all behind me, but I don't know if I'm ever going to really feel like a thin woman, or even a "normal-weight" woman. (And what the heck does "normal" mean anyway?)

So I guess what I'm saying is that even with all the time that's passed, it's sometimes been a little hard to adjust, and I find it hard to relate to thin folks or those who only have a little weight to lose, because I was overweight, and then obese, for so long. I always feel like an outsider, no matter what.

With all that long-windedness out of the way, I suppose I should get to the meat (yeah!) of the introduction. Please do go ahead and call me Iris; it's not my real name, but it's a favorite, and a bit of a joke between my husband and me. As is obvious from that sentence, I am married; we've been together eleven wonderful years, and I hope for many, many more. No kids, which given my general lack of patience is probably a very good thing. I am a housewife, and I'm very grateful for that fact because it gives me the opportunity to focus on my health in ways that are probably not as easy for those with outside careers and the resultant time constraints. I also have lupus, so being at home gives me the opportunity to rest when I need to. If any of you are dealing with autoimmune disorders and the accompanying fatigue and pain, I know you understand me when I say that rest and downtime are VERY good things.

Let's see, what else. I love to read and learn, am a self-taught (if not overly talented) photographer and photo editor, sometime fiction writer, serial blogger, perpetually beginner-level bellydancer, Tudor history buff, and general dizzy dilettante.

I enjoy long walks on the beach...oh wait, no I don't, and this isn't the right place for that anyway. Sorry! But I think that's enough about me.

Does anyone mind my dropping by?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 07:48

Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Welcome to the TDC Iris! Glad to have you with us and nice meeting you!

I can relate to much of what you're saying. It's been a long road for me too and I'm only half way there. The good thing is that I'm learning to maintain along the way as I go.

I know what you mean about the feelings inside vs. what the outside looks like now. I think that many people who have lost alot of weight have these same kinds of issues. So, no, you don't sound "flaky" at all.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 09:50
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Welcome Iris! The TDC is home for all who have or have had more than 100 lbs to lose. There is something about the experience of being that overweight gives us shared feelings, thoughts & experiences that others don't understand fully. And it's great to have a place like the TDC where those of us with those experiences can find each other.

You are more than welcome here!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 09:55
Registered Member

Thank you both, so much. (Obviously,) I sometimes get reeeeally nervous approaching people!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Welcome Iris!!

So glad you came out from hiding!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 12:10
Registered Member

So am I. Thank you!

I think maybe reading the War Zone before I posted might have been the wrong thing to do; scared the heck out of me, lol.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 12:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Iris
So am I. Thank you!

I think maybe reading the War Zone before I posted might have been the wrong thing to do; scared the heck out of me, lol.

Yup! That'd do it to me too!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 14:53

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

Welcome Iris! I am glad you came to our group you have much to offer!!

I am in my 3rd week of no loss or some type of gain and it has been very hard not to just forget my WOE and just give up! But here I am reading posts and praying Monday finds a weight loss for me..............
Gloria
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-09, 17:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Welcome Iris, I am so glad you joined. I lost 100 pounds but then I went stupid quit Atkins and gained most if not all of it back. This time I really don't want to quit, I want to win this war.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-09, 13:43
Monday came.

Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Agree, you sound like one of us, girlfriend. You *get* where we are at, and have a lot to teach us as well.

War Zone intro???? Wow! That was brave! ROFLMAO . . .