Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:25

Plan: None in specific
Stats: 134/134/?
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Worried

I am getting so many negative comments on this diet. Peopleare saying I will need these strips to test for something or other. Almost like your gonna kill yourself by eating this way. Any facts to calm my fears are greatly appreciated. I haven't bought a book, I just eat lowcarb...is that bad??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Worried

Quote:
Originally posted by Songstress
I haven't bought a book, I just eat lowcarb...is that bad??

No, but it's not good either. Would you drive a car without first learning how? This is your health, it can't be replaced. Reading the book, whichever you decide to, is the most important part of following a LC plan. Each plan has rules and guidelines and they exist for a reason. There are many members on this board who have been LCing for years and are in better health than they were when they started.

Yes you can hurt your health eating LC; if you do not do it properly. This applies for all dietary plans. Having the book will arm you with information, information you can use to improve your health and use when confronted by those who have heard from a friend of a friend that LC is bad for you.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 13:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile hi Songstress

Nat brings up a good point about arming yourself with information so you can set it straight with those who try to tell you low-carbing is harmful. By the way, those folks who tell you low-carb is bad ... do they then provide you with the details of what is good?? Likely they would just give a bland, meaningless suggestion to "eat healthy", without really saying what "healthy" is. If the current lowFAT, high-grain, high-flour, high-white and processed food way of eating is so healthy, how come more and more people are getting diabetes and heart disease, and more and more people are overweight or obese?

Once you've read a low-carb book or two - Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or Protein Power being a good place to start - you'll then be qualified to ask the nay-sayers what books have THEY read.

For some basic information about low-carbing, what it is and what it is NOT, please click on Low Carb Tips, from the orange menu bar at the top. Read the articles Low-Carb Basics and Frequently Asked Questions. These should answer some questions for you. In fact, you might want to have a read through some of the other articles too.

Happy Learning!

Doreen