Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 395.9/276.7/250 Male 5’10
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Keto Flu 😩

Today is my third full day on the Atkins 20, and prior to this evening the only side effect I have had was lacking sleep and an occasional headache. Tonight I am feeling nauseous as ever, and I dread it is the above mentioned keto flu. I will preface this by saying I am close to 400 pounds and have stayed under 12 g of carbohydrates all three days to this point. I am drinking water like it is going out of style, in fact no less than 10 cups per day. Any advice here as this is the one symptom I did not want to have, the nausea and/or vomiting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 17:31

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcchoops
Today is my third full day on the Atkins 20, and prior to this evening the only side effect I have had was lacking sleep and an occasional headache. Tonight I am feeling nauseous as ever, and I dread it is the above mentioned keto flu. I will preface this by saying I am close to 400 pounds and have stayed under 12 g of carbohydrates all three days to this point. I am drinking water like it is going out of style, in fact no less than 10 cups per day. Any advice here as this is the one symptom I did not want to have, the nausea and/or vomiting.

Hey, this is zeejane4 from MFP-I think I'm the one who recommended this site to you Glad you found your way over here!

the keto flu is usually triggered by an electrolyte imbalance- up your salt intake for a few days
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...effects#ketoflu
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 17:43
Registered Member

Stats: 395.9/276.7/250 Male 5’10
BF:
Progress: 82%

My sodium intake is through the roof from foods like bacon, mustard, pickles, summer sausage, beef hot dogs.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 17:47

Stats: 212.5/156.5/160 Female 5’6”
BF:
Progress: 107%

Even so, you may need more salt yet. I know I was astounded by how much salt I need on LC.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 17:48

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Sure sounds like you might be getting Keto flu. If you've been drinking that much water, you've definitely been flushing electrolytes out of your system. Drink some bone broth or consomme, or chicken or beef stock with a tsp of salt salt stirred in. You can also stir in some melted butter to make it taste even better and to provide more fat.

Have faith that the keto flu is only temporary! Within a day or two, as your body becomes accustomed to burning fat, you'll start feeling TERRIFIC!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-15-19, 04:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Chicken broth...the LC Grandma answer to digestive issues. Those broth cubes dissolved in hot water is fine. With the amount of water you are drinking and how low and fast you cut out all carbs, you may be losing electrolytes by the buckets. (You would know ). If the broth doesn’t help, the other suggestion is to take it slower. You have a long weight loss journey ahead, consider eating from the Atkins Induction food list but more vegetables in the 30g-40g net carb range. When you switch to net, that is a lot of vegetable matter. Slowly go back to less carbs after you adjust.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...ts#inductionflu

Dr Eades fun explanation of Keto-Adaptation, with good advice how to lessen the pain:
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...-low-carb-pt-i/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-15-19 at 04:32.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-23-19, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 215/180/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 54%

I was quite sick with the Keto Flu for the first 3 days. Then bam. It was gone and I was full of energy.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-23-19, 17:34

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Good for you! That means it's working, you'll be feeling better soon, and on your way to a lighter, more energetic you!

Sorry I don't know how to alleviate the symptoms, I just did my best to get through it and it only took a few days. A small price to pay for a healthier you and me.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-24-19, 04:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Same advice as above; I just have a couple of other ideas: first, are you on any medications, especially for diabetes or high blood pressure? Make sure you see your doc! They probably have to be cut back.

Also, even if you're not diabetic, consider getting a blood glucose monitor. They're often free with the purchase of test strips. Low blood sugar can also cause those symptoms. I've been at this for a decade-and-a-half and I still get that occasionally. Mine sometimes dips down to the low 3s (55-70 mg/dl) and I'm sure I'm going to barf.

I'll also add to what ShielaQ said; it sounds crazy, but I STILL often don't get enough salt, even with salty meats and condiments like you described. I'm just not a salt fan, and when I make too many plain, minimally-processed homemade meals in a row, I pay the price in the form of night time foot cramps. The scale generally confirms it; I'll have dipped down a pound or two.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-24-19, 10:22

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaQ
Even so, you may need more salt yet. I know I was astounded by how much salt I need on LC.
It's also really important to increase other electrolytes and keep them in balance with salt. If you just add more and more salt, you'll get out of balance and it won't help. Add magnesium and potassium.

You can get supplements at any local pharmacy. Start with taking them twice a day. (Don't take more potassium than this--the pills are a tiny dose, but it is possible to over do it).

You can also get liquid drops to add to your water. Avoid anything that has any sweeteners. I'm not anti-sweetener. It's just that the electrolyte drops that are sweetened tend to be mostly flavor and very little minerals, so they aren't worth buying. I used a brand called Hi Lyte and bought it online at Amazon. I just put the drops in water (I mixed up a couple quarts of water every day with the drops), but they barely have any taste and you could add them to some other things like iced tea. The drops aren't super cheap, but I tapered off of them after about three months and now mainly use supplements.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-25-19, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 215/180/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 54%

Doctors drill into us how bad salt is but on this WOE, you need that salt! I wish I had known a few of these suggestions on avoiding keto flu when I just started back on low carb again a week ago. But it's all worth it because now I have tons of energy and my clothes are getting looser. Hooray. I've finally gotten past the sugar cravings and my boyfriend's chocolate chunk ice cream is no longer casting it's "come and get me" spell on me. hahaha
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: LC + Noom
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Your metabolism is changing & it takes a week+ for the body to adjust, but once you make it through the ketoflu, *WHAMO* energy galore and a new spring in your step. As long as you don't cheat. Stick with it, you are almost on the other side.