Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Judy's Success on the Beach

View Article Article tools
  #106   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 19:56
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna14
Wow, what an incredible journey! Congratulations on maintaining. Look forward to seeing you in the boards.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 13:52

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 1%

You look great Judy.. Its been a while since we spoke via message..lol...

Whats your typical menu like?

I use to live up town in NYC and my parents still live there.. The one thing I liked about living in the city is the food, but for exercise is Walking... So much to do and see there....
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 15:09
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe42
You look great Judy.. Its been a while since we spoke via message..lol...

Whats your typical menu like?

I use to live up town in NYC and my parents still live there.. The one thing I liked about living in the city is the food, but for exercise is Walking... So much to do and see there....

Thanks bigjoe!
I responded in your journal.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 13:54

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

LOVE the morph!!! Beautiful.
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 14:40
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
LOVE the morph!!! Beautiful.

Thank you!! That morph is very cool!
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-15, 14:52

Plan: assorted
Stats: 198/180/135 Female 5 feet 6  inches
BF:
Progress:

Very inspiring! And congratulations!!
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-15, 20:39

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Congrats to you, Judy. Thanks for sharing your story.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/180/150 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I liked seeing your 'morph'. Quite a difference. You look amazing!
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 14:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsunset
Very inspiring! And congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
Congrats to you, Judy. Thanks for sharing your story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino0726
I liked seeing your 'morph'. Quite a difference. You look amazing!

Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate getting congrats 10 years later.
And here I am, 10 years later, still fighting the good fight. It is very possible to keep the lost pounds gone.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 11:35
Attitude is a Choice

Default 10 years of successful maintenance

On Decemeber 18, 2005, after 20 months of working my way down the scale, I hit my goal weight losing well over 100 lbs. Its been an educating journey in keeping it off and I must say that I’ve succeded in not regaining my weight in these 10 years since the day I hit my goal weight.
I am not an anomaly. I educated myself to the changes I needed to make in myself to not have this monkey on my back any longer. The very high percentages of regain are astounding to me. More regain than maintain and that tells me a lot. Most diet, lose and then revert back to their old eating patterns never making any changes for long term success. I refused to have that happen to me and I did the work necessary to make sure that I didn’t regain.
I had to learn how to cook. I was a huge order-in person. It was easy and fast. I had to do better for myself and stop doing that. So as I was losing, I started to teach myself how to cook. I’ve become fairly adept at it by now and enjoy my own cooking. I order in once in a great while......but certainly not the way I used to do it.
I also had to admit that I didn’t have any idea when to stop eating. I always ate until all the food was gone and generally ended up feeling totally stuffed. ugh........Coming out of denial about my poor eating habits was a very big deal for me. Once I did that and realized that this aspect of myself had to chnage, I set about to figure out how. In reading the South Beach Diet book, it explained that I can have seconds after......I finished the food on my plate and then waited 20 minutes. Those 20 minutes helped me to feel for the full feeling so I could stop eating when I was full. That was huge for me. Since then I can feel full and stop.
It haunts me when I see people struggling with their weight when I know what it takes to get there and stay there. WLS can be an answer if/when people change how they think about their eating habits. I don’t see that very often though, sorry to say. They start out great...but 2-3 years down the line, they revert back and regain, not to mention all the possible health problems associated with it. Chronic dieting is not the answer. Changing how and what you eat and how you think about it permanently is the answer.
So Yayy me! 10 years keeping it all off!!
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 12:33

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You've done so well Judy. Your story should serve to inspire people for it's not just about losing but turning your eating around and maintaining the loss. It requires new attitudes, new habits, and a commitment to stay with it. I wonder why so many people fail at this. For me it's been pretty easy but that doesn't seem to be true for a lot of people who show up here. I am happy to be in the same club as you. I invite others to join us.

Jean
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 13:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yip! Indeed yay you Judy, you have done great. I find it very encouraging to read of maintainers. It's what the majority of us are aspiring to be.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 13:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Yay to you Judy. One year of maintenance is a big deal. You've done it for 10. That is awesome, amazing, and (unfortunately) rare. You are not an anomaly -- but you are something special. Thank you for doing what you did for yourself and then sharing your story. Thanks also for time & effort you put in on this forum helping others like me figure out how to change our lives. Many of you personal truths have hit home with me. I've learned a lot from what you have posted over the years.

I'm still a maintenance wannabe - but as you have told me before, I think I've figured it out. When I found this forum I was ready to truly "hear" the advice that you and a few other maintainers put out there for us to find. I'm not sure what it takes for the to finally go off. I have not really figured that one out about myself -- so I have no idea if it is the same or different for others. What ever he case, it is clearly difficult to change how you eat FOREVAH-- but it appears that you are well on your way. Bravo!

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Jan-13-16 at 09:29.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 09:07
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
You've done so well Judy. Your story should serve to inspire people for it's not just about losing but turning your eating around and maintaining the loss. It requires new attitudes, new habits, and a commitment to stay with it. I wonder why so many people fail at this. For me it's been pretty easy but that doesn't seem to be true for a lot of people who show up here. I am happy to be in the same club as you. I invite others to join us.

Jean

Thank you Jean! Much appreciated!
I think that most come here for weight loss....and want it fast. That's really all they care about...how fast can I make this happen?! I think that they are the people who will have trouble maintaining. They only know how to eat to lose, not to maintain. We, you and I know, that will not work long term. You can't eat like you're on a diet for the rest of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Yip! Indeed yay you Judy, you have done great. I find it very encouraging to read of maintainers. It's what the majority of us are aspiring to be.
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Yay to you Judy. One year of maintenance is a big deal. You've done it for 10. That is awesome, amazing, and (unfortunately) rare. You are not an anomaly -- but you are something special. Thank you for doing what you did for yourself and then sharing your story. Thanks also for time & effort you put in on this forum helping others like me figure out how to change our lives. Many of you personal truths have hit home with me. I've learned a lot from what you have posted over the years.

I'm still a maintenance wannabe - but as you have told me before, I think I've figured it out. When I found this forum I was ready to truly "hear" the advice that you and a few other maintainers put out there for us to find. I'm not sure what it takes for the to finally go off. I have not really figured that one out about myself -- so I have no idea if it is the same or different for others. What ever he case, it is clearly difficult to change how you eat FOREVAH-- but it appears that you are will on your way. Bravo!

Thank you Ken!
You are already a long term success in that you've been adding in foods to find a way to eat for life, not just for now while you lose. Go you!!!
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 04:20

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 147/131/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Judy, I just read this post this morning, and found it inspiring, thank you. Jools 😎

Article tools