Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Unhappy Very Disturbing

Hi everyone! I want to share what happened to me this week-end, and ask if anyone else has experieneced something like this.
On Saturday morning I got very ill to my stomache, and started throwing up...every half hour no less This continued until late afternoon. I know I was very dehydrated. We had been to a pot luck banquet the nite before, so hubby figured I had food poisoning. Right after the vomiting started up, I had a fibro flare up from hell. Every trigger point that has ever bothered me was on fire. My ribs and back muscles were the worst! I even had pain in my head and eyes.I was in agony!! When I was finally able to hold a bit of water down, I took pain killers, and a warm bath, which helped to ease things up. I could not believe what happened to me, and wondered if anyone else has been through something like this. I am Ok today, although a little sore in places.
Gail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 00:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Well, maybe not that experience exactly, but since I think fibro is a form of immune system malfunction it only makes sense that while your immune system was under attack from something else that your fibro would act up too.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 01:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

So, you and I had the same weekend. Mine was caused by having some oral surgery done, then being allergic to the antibiotic that the dentist gave me. Huge rash, nausea, vomiting, and a REALLY bad fibro flareup. Weekend from hell, for sure. My husband, a nurse for years, was ready to take me to the ER, so I had to have been pretty bad.

Better today, hope you are also.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default YES - same with me

I realize I"m responding to this post a few months late...
However, about a month ago I ended up in the same position as you - it was sheer h***. I couldnt' eat or even drink for two days - and the pain was unbearable.
Now - the dr I visited didn't seem particulary sympathetic to my explanation of Fibro and that the pain was literally like a full-body migraine (including extreme sensitivity to sound and light that would trigger a wave of agony from my toes to head). I don't like that attitude to say the least, but I've gotten use to it (we probably all have had a least Some experience with that). BUT - he did make an interesting point, that a lot of the pain was coming from toxins leeching from my system, which made sense to me. Not that it helped, but it gaveme something of an explanation. Still, I find that anything stressful, over periods of time I have yet to figure out, triggers a flare. I think 2 days of purging every hour classifies as stress
Weather often sets off symptoms as well. But then, sometimes it seems like breathing wrong does the same.
Hate this thing.

Not sure if that answeres your question - but it gave me a chance to whine

Wishing you the best!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:55

BF:

Hi Open! I am sorry to hear that you are having so many flare ups. I feel fortunate that I am not getting that many any more. However, like yourself, certain activities and stress will cause a flare. I am also very bothered by air pressure changes, and with winter just around the corner, I am getting a bit nervous. This dry, hot summer we have had in Calgary has been wonderful for me. My doctor is empathetic to my situation, so I feel he has been supportive. I would not stay with a doctor who wasn't!! I have found the Atkins diet has improved how I feel a lot. I also take supplements: fish oil, mag malic,coral calcium, plus a multi vitamin and extra E. I am trying to learn how to avoid the triggers, and to accept that flare ups are going to happen, and to not get discouraged, as they will pass. Wishing you better days...imagem
PS Where in Alberta do you live?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Imagem, I"m just outside of Edmonton Same weather here this summer - until the last few days. Now it's a preview of fall - yech.
I was fortunate enough this winter to spend a couple of months in the southern states. What a difference that made to me! The dry heat really seems to ease some of the fibro. However, having said that, I've gone with only minor flare-ups over similar periods, so I can never be positive if it was the good weather that was helping me, or if my body just decided to be "good" for a while Still - have to admit it would be soooo nice to live with palm trees out my back door
I'm curious - do you find yourself getting a bit down at this time of the year? Ages ago I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (well before Fibro was even considered "real") and wonder if that's also associated with FMS.
~Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 22:42

BF:

Hi open! No. I have never been "diagnosed" with SAD. But I can tell you that I do not handle long stretches without sunshine. My house has lots of natural light, as I can not function in dark rooms. My favorite time of year is summer, with long warm days. I definately get down when the days are short and dark. Wishing you more sunshine Gail