Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-22, 06:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation New Health Canada food labelling requirements for ground meat draw criticism

https://globalnews.ca/news/8910509/...meat-criticism/

Quote:
New Health Canada food labelling requirements for ground meat draw criticism

By Troy Charles Global News
Posted June 10, 2022 10:31 am

In the coming weeks you might find a new label on the front of your grocery store ground meats.

Health Canada says a front of package nutrition symbol will soon be required on foods that contain 15 per cent of your recommended daily intake of sodium, sugars and saturated fat.

There are many products that will be exempt from the new rule such as raw whole cuts of meat but ground meats which are high in saturated fats are not exempt and its left some within the meat industry scratching their head.

Ryder Lee, the CEO of the Saskatchewan Cattlemen’s Association, says he’s not sure why a single ingredient product like ground beef is being singled out.

“This would make Canada the only country in the world where a single ingredient product had this warning. It makes it make less and less sense and we think the government and minister of health should reconsider,” said Lee

Health Canada says the intent of the new label is not to convey a warning, but to help reduce risks to health by providing consumers with quick and easy-to-use information on foods high in sodium, sugars and/or saturated fat.

Professor of food distribution at Dalhousie University, Sylvain Charlebois, says 50 per cent of the beef consumed in Canada is ground.

With inflation a major issue at the grocery store, ground meat prices have remained more stable than others.

Charlebois feels ground meats should be exempt from the new label.

“When you think about protein affordability you’re basically discouraging Canadians from eating these products that are still relatively affordable compared to other cuts. You have to wonder whether or not its the right time to do this,” said the professor.

Charlebois recognizes that these labels can be a motivating factor for industry to innovate, forcing companies making highly-processed foods to research and make better products that wouldn’t have too much sodium, fats and sugar.

“But what do you with ground beef? What do you do with ground pork? There is nothing else you can do, it’s a natural single-ingredient product,” said Charlebois.

Health Canada said exemptions from the front of package label occur when the food is already exempt from displaying a nutrition facts table, the information in the symbol would be redundant and if there is evidence that the food provides a protective effect on health.

“Ground beef is one of the most affordable nutrient packed products that can help with iron deficiency, zinc, vitamin B12 — oh and by the way, a great source of protein,” said Lee regarding the protective health effects of ground beef.

Exempt items include include fruits and vegetables without added saturated fat, sugars, or sodium; whole and 2 per cent milk; and most vegetable oils such as canola and olive oil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://globalnews.ca/news/8912990/...ation-reaction/

Quote:
Ranchers’ group pushes back against Health Canada’s ‘vilification’ of beef

By Amanda Stephenson The Canadian Press
Posted June 10, 2022 7:13 pm

A group representing Canadian ranchers says their industry has been unfairly singled out by proposed new regulations that would require packaged ground beef to be sold with a health warning label.

The Canadian Cattlemen’s Association is crying foul over a proposal by Health Canada to introduce mandatory front-of-package nutrition labelling for pre-packaged foods high in sodium, sugar and saturated fat.

The goal, according to the Health Canada website, is to provide consumers with quick and easy nutrition information and encourage them to make healthier choices, and also to encourage food manufacturers to make healthier products.

The package labels would be applied to most foods that exceed 15 per cent of an adult’s recommended daily intake of sodium, sugar or saturated fat. But some foods that are naturally high in sugar, such as unsweetened fruit, will be exempt from the labelling requirement, while dairy and eggs — though high in saturated fat — will also be exempt.

Dennis Laycraft, executive vice-president of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association, said his industry can’t understand why its product is being “vilified.” He said Canadians consume approximately half of their calories from nutrient-poor ultra-processed foods, but by contrast, ground beef — while undeniably a source of saturated fat — is also a nutrient-dense protein that contains iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.

“We believe there is a very, very compelling case to support an exemption,” Laycraft said in an interview.

“The whole purpose of this (Health Canada proposal) largely came from a concern about highly processed foods, and foods with a lot of ingredients,” Laycraft said. “The idea of taking a single-ingredient food product and imposing these types of labels is not being done anywhere else in the world, and it is going to unfairly affect Canada’s farmers and ranchers.”

Front-of-package nutrition labels exist in many countries around the globe. For example, Chile recently introduced a mandatory warning label on foods high in calories, sugars, sodium or saturated fat. The U.K. has a voluntary “traffic light” system that uses colours (red, amber, green) to convey a ranking for total fat, saturated fat, sugars and salt in a food.

But Sylvain Charlebois, director of the Agri-Food Analytics Lab at Dalhousie University, said Health Canada’s approach to the issue is incoherent. Not only does dairy get a pass while ground beef and pork do not, the proposed Health Canada regulations also exempt foods that typically come in small serving sizes such as condiments, some cookies and breakfast cereals, and bite-sized chocolate bars — even though these foods are far more nutritionally suspect than ground beef.

“I actually do feel that ground meat is being discriminated against, generally,” Charlebois said. “This policy appears to be driven by some bureaucratic ideology.”

Charlebois said he’s particularly concerned that the Health Canada push is coming at a time when consumers are facing rampant inflation and record-high prices at grocery stores.

“Fifty per cent of beef in Canada is sold as ground beef, and ground beef in particular has remained relatively affordable compared to other cuts at the grocery store,” he said.

“Ninety-one per cent of Canadians actually eat meat on a regular basis. That’s the vast majority of Canadians, so to basically label these products as unhealthy? I don’t think that sends the right signal.”

According to CCA figures, 50 per cent of beef produced in Canada is exported. In 2021, Canada exported more than 500,000 tonnes of beef valued at $4.47 billion. Laycraft said he worries that if Canada is alone in placing a health warning label on its beef, Canadian ranchers and beef processors will be at a competitive disadvantage.

“Any time you add a warning label to a product, over time generally that does cause some erosion in demand,” Laycraft said. “We believe it just would have a long-term reputational impact on our industry.”

In an email, Health Canada spokeswoman Marie-Pier Burelle said front-of-package nutrition labelling requirements are widely recognized by health organizations as an effective tool to help counteract rising rates of diet-related chronic disease in Canada.

She said not all ground meat would be required to carry a warning label, as “extra lean” ground beef and pork actually fall below the required maximum allowances for saturated fat.

“However, a (front-of-package) nutrition symbol on foods high in saturated fat (or high in sodium or sugar) would help make the healthier choice the easier choice for all Canadians,” she said.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-22, 17:23

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Not that the label will change my behaviour, but they are singling out pork and beef which often have less fat than chicken, which will not receive the label. I prefer my fat saturated, which is stable and not prone to oxidation & free radicals. Beef also has a better Omega 6:3 ratio than ultra-processed fake "meat" full of unsaturated industrial seed oils.

In other news, New Zealand has unveiled a plan to tax sheep and cattle burps in a bid to tackle one of the country's biggest sources of greenhouse gases. It would make it the first nation to charge farmers for the methane emissions from the animals they keep. Why aren't the farmers getting carbon credits for the CO2 their pastures sequester???

Where is the tax on Vegan humans' burps & farts? They burp and fart at least 10X more than any lowcarbers I know.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jun-11-22 at 17:30.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-22, 09:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Where is the tax on Vegan humans' burps & farts? They burp and fart at least 10X more than any lowcarbers I know.

OMG, I laughed so hard I cried. It's so true!

I once went to a health event and it was more healthy that the norm. It was Weston Price, and I ate starchy things I usually don't.

I think it might even have come up in a favorite Mark Sisson story, My Escape from Vegan Island.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-22, 09:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Re NZ. The market for wool has crashed. NZ likely to decrease number of sheep given the pressure.

Salt, sat fat, sugar.... Stupidity of law makers is remarkable. Just sugar and white flour would do far more good.