Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/229/190 Male 72 inches
BF:24/16/12
Progress: 39%

Red Wine... Thinking 1 glass a couple of times a weeks doesnt add up...

-Callahan-
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 21:57
Registered Member

Stats: 206/189/50 Female 64 indhes
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs down Fell off the wagon

My biggest mistake was wrecking my knee from soccer and then moving in with my MIL while waiting for our new home to be built. I think not exercising and also living not in my own surroundings were just too stressful and so I fell off the wagon. By the time the holidays came I was going overboard and binging on chocolates, cookies, cakes, etc and I didn't care...Well, come January of this year I took a hard look at the scale and got very mad at myself for putting on almost half the weight I had last the previous year.
This time 'round no more soccer for me...biking is the sport of choice. And only treat myself with stuff that's sugar free...Gotta keep up the exercise too.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 13:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Taking couple of days off the 'diet' won't hurt.
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 08:23

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Callahan, red wine was my downfall too. I drank a couple glasses every night and it finally caught up to me and I gained some weight in december. I went back to induction two weeks ago and I have lost what I gained, but it was scary to feel my jeans get tight and have some items not fit. I LOVE to have a glass of wine at night, but have trouble stopping with just one glass, so I am abstaining till I get down to a size ten.
  #170   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 20:34

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Great thread - thank you

I am still a newbie so I feel I haven't been around the block enough and Im sure there are more mistakes to come ...however for the 1st month I was doing really well. I was loosing and got complacent thinking i could cheat a little and it wouldn't really affect me. BIG MISTAKE!! I gained immediately and it's not moving as fast as before.

My bads
Alcohol - boy i miss wine with a meal
Desserts - only on special occasions (not worth the gain)
Cheese - OMG i love the stuff
Cream - maybe a little too rich to eat every day
Cheats - thinking I could slip them in everynow and then without a prob
Fake foods - they are not worth it
Not excersising - thinking the diet is working so why bother
Guilt - just makes me feel bad and leads to self sabotage
Impatience - wanting it all now!

My good
Adding excersise - feels better
Journaling - really helps me see what is/isn't working and helps me get back on track quicker
Love - learning to love myself helps to treat myself with more respect and value what i put into my body
Real foods - you can feel the difference
Patience - understanding this is a WOL not a quick fix
Support - using this forum as a way to stick to the goal and being inspired by other's successes.
Boundaries - watching out for saboteurs, learning to say NO and stand in my power when I do it.
Responsibility - understanding I got unhealthy because of the choices I made. (Basically stop playing victim and blaming everyone and everything for my mental and physical state)

These are the things that have helped me not only start an new WOL but feel empowered enough to stick with it for the long term.

Good luck to everyone
  #171   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Karen, Hi my name is Mary Kay...and I am at my wits-end with this diet!!! I have tried patience but I have run out...Im on Day 9 of Induction and I have not lost one pound...I actually gained 3, but it was gone again this morning...Big Deal!!! I should have at least 5 or 6 gone.
I have received very good advice on this forum such as cutting out caffeine and increasing water. I am below or at 20 carbs a day. If I could just see a couple pounds off like everyone else here I would have the inspiration to keep going....In tears
  #172   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:10
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

mkduggan,

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that during the first entire week of induction, I didn't lose a single pound!

I was ready to give up on the idea, especially given how much I was struggling with carb withdrawal symptoms (the so-called "induction flu"), when I made the decision to stick with it for at least one month.

I went on to lose a total of 17 pounds during week 2 and 3 of induction.

For some reason, that first week of induction didn't "take" right away, and so I stayed on it for a few weeks more and ended up seeing the weight loss I was so hoping for.

Hang in there...you just might be amazed by the end of the month. You'll probably also be in a much better mood by the end of next week - the nasty side effects of carb withdrawal should be over by then, and you'll feel a resurgence of energy, a lowered appetite and more importantly...a nice weight loss.
  #173   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:26
Registered Member

Stats: 247/228/185 Male 70 inches
BF:36/33.5/
Progress: 31%

Mary Kay, hang in there. It takes a while. It probably took more than a few days to gain the weight, it'll take longer to lose it.

Low-carbing is a way to change your lifestyle. If you want to kick start your weight loss, exercise. Works for me, I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week.

Also, are you checking your ketosis? If you're not using the strips, you should.
  #174   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 10:11
Registered Member

Stats: 175/175/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I'm sorry...but I have to get off this plan....I am merely maintaining at 175 after 10days of Induction. This is way too much fat for me...I have been doing the strips since Tues. nite. First nite...negative....days thereafter only in the trace category...I absolutely believe that carbs are a killer and have always been aware of them in my diet...but the fat and calories are way too much for my sytem...I wish I could be like the others and worry about losing too much...Thanks for everything
  #175   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 01:35

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkduggan
I'm sorry...but I have to get off this plan....I am merely maintaining at 175 after 10days of Induction. This is way too much fat for me...I have been doing the strips since Tues. nite. First nite...negative....days thereafter only in the trace category...I absolutely believe that carbs are a killer and have always been aware of them in my diet...but the fat and calories are way too much for my sytem...I wish I could be like the others and worry about losing too much...Thanks for everything

Hi MK

It is up to you if you go off it and only you know what is best for your own body. I am wondering tho if you have given it enough time? You can cut down on the fat if it is bothering you. (I find cheese hinders my weight loss.)

Some things to consider:
* Have you checked for hidden sugars? For me I was using sauces/dressings that had sugar in them. Because I am insulin resistent this is a real no-no for me.

* Another thing is you mentioned coffee. Coffee can really set you back because not only does it have carbs but it spikes up insulin.

*Stick with natural foods and avoid artificial foods. they can cause water retention

*Have you checked your measurements? Sometimes the scales show nothing but the inches show you are reducing body fat. Muscle weighs more that fat so you can easily gain muscle, loose fat and see little difference on the scales.

*what is your realistic time frame for loosing? You need at least a 12 week plan. Go through the success stories and you will see they didn't do it over night. even 3 months is short term IMHO. 10 days is not a long time i think you need more

* Are you journaling? Recording your daily food consumption is important in monitoring your success. I went great for 5 weeks and then gained. When i looked thru my journal i realised i had indeed sabotaged my program with too much cheese, sweets and alcohol in week 6. I think without it I would have thought i had been 100% commited when in fact I wasn't.

* Are you excersising?

food for thought anyway

Good luck anyway
  #176   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 09:25

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 315/197/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:

Nobody says you have to gorge yourself with fat. You could do the diet and eat lean turkey, tuna, fish, lean chicken breast or chicken without the skin, etc. It's not all red meat, pork and bacon.

You're right. Carbs are a killer. And if you go to a very low fat diet, carbs are mostly what you'll be eating. (Everything that says "low fat" has added sugar to make it taste better, btw).

As for the calories, vegetables are very low cal. Eating the meats I listed above, you could keep your calories around 1200-1400 easily.

Are you exercising? Are you drinking enough water? Used to be 64oz was the norm, but now most say that 100 oz minimum is best for your body to flush out the fat.

Are you losing inches? Sometimes the scale doesn't go down, but your fat cells are shrinking and you lose inches on your body (and not just in the waist either).

I think 10 days is a little soon to be giving up. Do you have much to lose? If not, chances are it will come off very slowly. Very heavy people generally lose faster than people who have very little to lose.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 09:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Quote:

Perhaps South Beach diet will be more to your liking. Slower loss but some people like it better that Atkins. Myself, I prefer Atkins because I lose better but everybody is different.
  #178   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 19:48

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

My biggest mistakes, leading me to come off Atkins and get fatter:

Fake foods, like the bars. 30 carbs minus 20 "free, non-absorbed" carbs = just 10 carbs? I don't think so.

Nuts. I can't stop eating them until they are all gone.

Not taking vitamins - I got very fatigued without them.

Eating sugar free candy. Never broke my sweets cravings.

Not preparing as much food in advance as possible, leading me to grab whatever was quickest when I was starving.

Having a cheat meal in order to break out of a plateau. Dumbest thing ever. It worked, but three days after my cheat I'd go to cheating full-time.

Too many splenda/equal packets. I drink a lot of coffee, so I have to use the carb-free liquid coffee flavors instead. Otherwise I'd get 15 carbs a day just from those packets.

Weighing myself all the time. I don't have a scale that works. Worrying about a 2-pound weight gain or loss day-to-day is useless for women, and can be upsetting. Weighing myself once a month or so is better for me.
  #179   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 20:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 220/175/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 90%

My weight fell off as soon as I quit my morning coffee and started making sure that I drank 1 gallon of water a day. It was tough but boy did it come off fast.

I had no room hardly for food.
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 258/213.5/180 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 57%

My mistake was thinking I had this whole wol under control and didn't need any support anymore. I am back and feeling so much better.

thanks everybody

cya Greg