Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 15:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 130/130/120 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Day 2 of Phase 1, and desperate for this to work...

Hi all, I am new to the forums here.

I am 30, a mommy of two (4 and 2 years old), and started running after my 2nd child was born. I started out not being able to run a mile, and last summer I completed four half marathons and am now training for a full marathon. However, no matter what I do, I can never seem to lose weight... and quite frankly, TWICE this week, some less-than-tactful individuals have actually asked me if I was pregnant and commented on my "belly". Freaking people. I have been trying so very hard to do this the right way, but a regular diet and exercise is not doing it. I mean, I run 10 miles at a time, how does this weight not budge? Anyways, I heard about the South Beach Diet and it sounds healthful and like it makes sense, unlike dangerous fads out there... so I'm giving it a shot.

Has this diet from Phase 1 through maintenance made a difference to you? I would love to hear and desperately need hope from those of you who have come through on the other side.

Sad, and so very down on myself right now... and hoping this actually works because I'm feeling lost.

Tangie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 15:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangie30
Hi all, I am new to the forums here.

I am 30, a mommy of two (4 and 2 years old), and started running after my 2nd child was born. I started out not being able to run a mile, and last summer I completed four half marathons and am now training for a full marathon. However, no matter what I do, I can never seem to lose weight... and quite frankly, TWICE this week, some less-than-tactful individuals have actually asked me if I was pregnant and commented on my "belly". Freaking people. I have been trying so very hard to do this the right way, but a regular diet and exercise is not doing it. I mean, I run 10 miles at a time, how does this weight not budge? Anyways, I heard about the South Beach Diet and it sounds healthful and like it makes sense, unlike dangerous fads out there... so I'm giving it a shot.

Has this diet from Phase 1 through maintenance made a difference to you? I would love to hear and desperately need hope from those of you who have come through on the other side.

Sad, and so very down on myself right now... and hoping this actually works because I'm feeling lost.

Tangie

Hello and welcome!
Feel free to click on my success button to read my story as it will give you lots of inspiration about the South Beach Diet.
Yes, eating this way can help you regain your flat tummy...but too much cardio, ie: long runs a few times a week, can be counter productive to what your goal is at this time.
Think Pilates!! That will make you work your core and those are the muscles that need it now.

We have the food lists and meal plan guides for both phases I and II right here. The Meal plan guide shows you exactly how to eat this way and you get to pick from the foods lists. Lists and guides are located in our weekly weighin thread.

So....my very best to you as you go on this journey. Start a journal here and log all your food into it along with any thoughts, feelings or issues, so that we can help you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 16:43
Attitude is a Choice

This is a succes story that I think you will get some good info from. Its a story written by a former chronic cardio couple. This guy's before pic is awesome so I personally don't see what his problem is.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/quitting-chronic-cardio/
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 16:49
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
...but too much cardio, ie: long runs a few times a week, can be counter productive to what your goal is at this time.

I haven't had big success like Judy has but I did get into running about a year ago. I can attest to the fact that it was counter productive for me as my stomach always got bloated after my runs. I also exhausted my adrenals and caused cortisol issues to be exasperated.

Judy-Marks Daily Apple is awesome! He makes a lot of sense regarding extreme exercise. I mainly walk 3 or 4 times a week now and my adrenals are healing!! No more tummy bloat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 20:21
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
I haven't had big success like Judy has but I did get into running about a year ago. I can attest to the fact that it was counter productive for me as my stomach always got bloated after my runs. I also exhausted my adrenals and caused cortisol issues to be exasperated.

Judy-Marks Daily Apple is awesome! He makes a lot of sense regarding extreme exercise. I mainly walk 3 or 4 times a week now and my adrenals are healing!! No more tummy bloat

Thats so great for you Lisa!!
I'm happy that you did realize what too much running was doing for and to your body.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 19:02

Plan: Primal
Stats: 132/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your replies. Really appreciate your insight and experience. Day 3 of my Phase 1 and I'm actually feeling fantastic. Haven't had even energy throughout the day in, well, years. Though I would like to dive headfirst into a pan of brownies, but I suppose that will pass with time.

I appreciate the information but am somewhat disheartened about the stance on running. I AM training for a marathon, but definitely wouldn't characterize my workout sessions in the week as chronic... I've actually already lost a ton of weight since my babies by running and it has become more than exercise, it is a passion and something that has saved me from a sedentary and goalless lifestyle.

I guess moderation and cross training is key, and I LOVE YOUR PILATES suggestion, tried it once before mommyhood and always wish I had followed through and become more involved with it. I do wonder, are there any running enthusiasts out there who do SB and running in a healthful balance and still achieve results?

I will take all of your wonderful suggestions into account, and meanwhile will make sure I get adequate rest and diversity in my workout week.

Have a great weekend!
Tangie

(P.S. Posting under a different name... couldn't believe that my account still existed from back in my college Atkins days!! WOW! So I guess I'll keep using this one from here on out!!)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 19:09

BF:

Holy cow, I just updated my profile... my last login was 7 years ago! Can't believe it kept my account all this time!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 10:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

Hi Tangie! This works. I am losing after the birth of my second child and it is finally coming off!!! As to the belly, please look into special exercises for postpartum problems that happen when the ab muscles actually separate and dont go back. It is really common! When you were pg, if you laid on your back and then strained like to get uo and got a big bulge in your bump area....you had separation. I did. There is a book called How to Lose Your Mummy Tummy or something like that. It has easy exercises...maybe check it out! Diet and regular exercise just will not fix that, if you are like me and have the separation.

Good job on the diet!! It really works. I am experiencing a stall so am going back to ph 1 tomorrow for a bit to get things going again. Almost 25 pounds gone!!! Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 11:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamel
Hi Tangie! This works. I am losing after the birth of my second child and it is finally coming off!!! As to the belly, please look into special exercises for postpartum problems that happen when the ab muscles actually separate and dont go back. It is really common! When you were pg, if you laid on your back and then strained like to get uo and got a big bulge in your bump area....you had separation. I did. There is a book called How to Lose Your Mummy Tummy or something like that. It has easy exercises...maybe check it out! Diet and regular exercise just will not fix that, if you are like me and have the separation.

Good job on the diet!! It really works. I am experiencing a stall so am going back to ph 1 tomorrow for a bit to get things going again. Almost 25 pounds gone!!! Good luck!

You are wonderful! Thank you so much for your response, it was very encouraging. Great job on your success! I will look into that... I think I may have had that separation and have very little abdominal strength to speak of. Just started doing beginner pilates and things hoping it helps, and will check out the book you suggested.

I thought I'd be stuck with this weight forever. Took two people (just last week) asking me if I was pregnant to make me fed up enough to take care of things. That dang post-preggo belly just hangs on...

Anyways thanks for taking the time to respond, really encouraged me today!
Tangie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-11, 02:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Someone asked me if I was pregnant once... too funny. I said 'No, just fat'.
Anyway, I feel your pain but I don't look preggers any more due to over 100lb loss.
You'll be fine, just keep going.
Have to say that excess stress ups your cortisol and can make you store round your middle. Look into CLA supplementation to get rid of tummy fat. Worked for me. : )
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 15:22

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Check my in progress photo. In the first photo i was training for my 3rd and 4th half marathons....7 months of low carbing took a lot of my mid section, and now i'm working on 5 and 6 in October. I dont think that running is counter to low carb at all. I've had 4 kids so my stomach has taken a beating...i'm getting a surgical fix