Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 23:38

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Lightbulb excercise equipment vs. gym membership?

I'm trying to decide if I should continue my curves membership or buy a bowflex.
The bow flex is fast, and you can use the same circuit technique that Curves uses...so thats not much of an issue.

My biggest issue is boredom. I can miss the gym for almost a month when I'm slacking- I am worried if I invest almost 2,000.00 on a bowflex...I will do the same!

Has anyone else bought a bowflex? and if they have, did they use it regularly- or is it holding up laundry or plants or something.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone out there.

btw I am still waiting for a whoosh after induction when I lost 8 pounds. I hear this is normal though for some people, so I guess I won't freak out.

If anyone knows of any equipment or gym thats been great for them please comment. I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/227.5/150
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey There,
Just a bit of personal opinion, but I hate our Bowflex. We got it in hopes to save money on a 2 gym memberships - plus we figured we'd be able to work in our workouts better. NOT!

I hate the thing, I find it soooo hard to keep my form because the cable or whatever that they use for resistance are going all over the place. So, not only are we paying on this 2,000 chunk of metal in our studio, but we also are paying for 2 gym memberships again!!!

It may be great for some, but I didn't like it!

-Martha
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:51

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks for your response Happy!

I wondered about that too... they only show really athletic people in their ads: not the average joe, who may have some coordination problems! Also, we don't have a private "personal trainer" like they do on the ads...
Thanks again. Good luck to you in your body changing efforts.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:07
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi updown, thanks for stopping by and saying hi. My DW is not doing low carb with me but I have set my priorities and I do what I have to do to stay on this plan.

I don't think I will be posting any pics until I lose some significant weight. The pictures would just be a fat guy anyway so I'll wait until I lose enough that there will be a noticeable difference.

Hang in there, get back on plan and you will alright.

Take care, Marty
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 07:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/159/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hey gal, opinions are easy. My husband wants to buy a bow flex....I'm against it. So here are 2 opinions (kind of) I bought him a treadmill 2 years ago for christmas. Had him pick it out and of course it was top of the line and 400$ out of my pocket. He was using one while out of town for about 6 months and since he has been home now for a year, he has not touched it---even to move it (we have moved 2x's since then.) I can count on 1 hand how many times he's been on it, I hate a treadmill, find it boring, but since it is here, I use it once a week, just to keep the dust off it. I prefer aerobics, but am at the point I need strength training. Gym membership, at 30"$ per month, makes me go to the gym at least 2x's a week - I'm a cheapo- and if I'm paying for it I will go. It's a coed mostly male gym, smells like an old sock, nothing fancy, but the couple people I have met there for a lunch w/o are very positive, highly effective, mostly business folks who are striving for excellence and are the top 20 percent of their game. Who else would make an appointment with themselves to stay fit? I'm not very social when I'm sweating like a pig, but I see them outside the gym in their bs suits, and familiaraity opens the door to some interesting personalities. Its a social thing...helps motivate. Just my opinion
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 15:45
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I was just curious if you have gained weight since doing so much weight training and walking? You havn't changed your stats for a long time.

Hi updown, it's been an odd winter for me. I had a nice whoosh just after Thanksgiving but have stalled ever since. I did not cheat or go off plan either through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Since the new year I have tried upping my carbs, lowering my carbs, adding more water, blah, blah, blah. This happened to me last winter at about the same time so I am attributing this stall to the time of year.

I have recently upped my walking distance which really feels good. I have gone down a belt notch but the scale refuses to move down at this time. I've set the scale aside and am concentrating more on my fitness. I believe as long as I keep to low carb this stall will end. I have made a commitment to this woe so things will start moving as soon as my body is ready.

Last Spring when the weather got nicer I dropped a lot of weight pretty quickly so I expect the same to happen again this year.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi.