Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#496   ^
Old Fri, Jun-23-23, 04:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Engineers seem to come up a lot actually in nutrition as being sort of forward thinking in this.

Dr. Bernstein was an engineer before he was a diabetes doctor. There's something about dealing with math, which cannot be bullied or persuaded, that helps someone listen when the data speaks.
Sponsored Links
  #497   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-23, 03:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Terrific that we now have Engineers (Marty Kendall, Ted Naiman, starting with Dr Bernstein) working out the Multivariate Analysis of Satiety and to hand us the list of foods! Multi variate analysis makes my head

Marty has yet another satiety summary, to beat all satiety lists seen so far:

Unlock the Power of Nutrient Leverage: Your Guide to Boosting Satiety and Taking Control of Your Weight.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...verage-satiety/

Check out that one bar of the components of Satiety Factors! And the Energy Reduction that results from adding nutrients. Protein has the most impact by far, why eating a PE Diet works well. But for many low carbers, increasing calcium, potassium, fiber and VitC might be the key to success.
  #498   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-23, 04:33

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Terrific that we now have Engineers (Marty Kendall, Ted Naiman, starting with Dr Bernstein) working out the Multivariate Analysis of Satiety and to hand us the list of foods! Multi variate analysis makes my head

I took a course in multivariate analysis in graduate school, or rather I started a course. In the first class the instructor drew a picture of a three dimensional bell curve on the blackboard. I knew immediately that this was going to be beyond my ability to comprehend so I dropped out of the course.
  #499   ^
Old Sat, Jun-24-23, 09:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I took a course in multivariate analysis in graduate school, or rather I started a course. In the first class the instructor drew a picture of a three dimensional bell curve on the blackboard. I knew immediately that this was going to be beyond my ability to comprehend so I dropped out of the course.

I was okay with algebra but I need a good teacher. An instructor told me "Don't worry, everyone takes calculus twice," and I figured I would need to take it four times

But this is why there are apps.
  #500   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-23, 08:42

I heard a new podcast this morning with Marty Kendall. Topic was "Why Satiety matters more than the diet you are on."

https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Get-...e/dp/B09YXZCW5J

The interviewer is Matty Lansdowne, An Australian scientist, nutritionist and coach who also has a healthy mums Facebook group. I have heard him before and these two guys are quite funny together.
  #501   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-23, 04:19

BF:

Thanks, that's next up on my Youtube queue. From a day ago, for those who aren't signed up to Audible:

Why Can't I Stop Overeating? The Science of Satiety and How to Achieve It (Marty Kendall)
  #502   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-23, 21:53

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

Starting Macros class tomorrow...hope I make it thru this time. I really want to dial in to my macros so I know how much I should be eating in protein, carbs and fat..... :/

Seems like when I try, I gain weight and I bale..........
  #503   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-23, 03:13

That's great. Please ask for help "in class" any time you wonder about amounts or macro percents. Marty is looking for questions now for Tomorrow’s Live Q&A…how to avoid weight gain? https://members.optimisingnutrition...u-have-37929028

The Community now has 8,000 members, and with the Lifetime membership, many have taken the class before and are happy to share their tips and tricks. Every class has complete newbies and folks who just love to share how this works.
Take it step by step, maybe read the extra "homework" and ask your questions in the course or Live Zoom class, but keep it FUN

Marty has added new graphics to simplify the food lists even more! Find the high satiety low carb chart and eat from that. Both the Foods and Recipes can be found in this new article: https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...h-satiety-foods

This is a good overview article on how to calculate Macros for different scenarios.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/cal...ros/#more-39324

And comments from a previous session: https://optimisingnutrition.com/mac...iety-is-central

PS: are your stats up to date? I remember the excitement when you entered Onederland. Marty has a fan group of post-menopausal woman who lose slowly, reaching goal weight after being stalled forever.I think it is the magic of nailing higher protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-01-23 at 04:47.
  #504   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-23, 04:19

If Marty's new clean and simple graphics, rather than those huge charts on Tableau look familiar…read the transcript link in post #495.. if you do the new Macros class (it is always being updated), you will have a preview of where Satiety Per Calorie is going.

Also, "The Amazing Results of the May 2023 Data-Driven Fasting Challenge

https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...lts/#more-41569

Marty has gone wild simplifying the graphics to DDF. Some of the new pages with comments attached to the charts are in this challenge results.

One example:

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-01-23 at 04:31.
  #505   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 14:33

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I'm trying to get the hang of the Macros class but once again, I'm giving up. Too much for me to figure out. I can't even find where we post to get help. Maybe it's the platform...seems like since they left the FB arena, I'm toast......carry on everyone! I'm done.
  #506   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-23, 15:23

Sorry to hear that, I’d be happy to help. Have you been able to add Nutrient Optimiser to your phone?

4.2 How Do I Set Up Nutrient Optimiser?
Go to https://nutrientoptimiser.com/ and complete the initial survey to define your preferences, conditions, and goals to get started with Nutrient Optimiser.
Once you’ve joined the Macros Masterclass, you’ll get a unique code that unlocks the entire platform.

If you like FB, you could read the posts in https://www.facebook.com/optimisingnutrition
Many are similar to the daily lessons in the Macros Class, recently a list of high protein, low fat foods. You will not get a personalized adjustment to the foods you Use in Cronometer, but these posts share much of the information.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-07-23 at 06:09.
  #507   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 14:38

Two very interesting and helpful posts by Marty Kendall on Personalizing Satiety for your Diet.

Keto vs Low Carb vs Satiety: Which One is Right for You?

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...-right-for-you/

Quote:
I’ve received comments recently that I don’t say anything good about low carb or keto.

Although I seem to spend a lot of time debating the finer points of nutrition, I’m a big fan of a lower-carb and keto diet.

Over the years, we’ve worked to help people maximise their nutrient density regardless of their preferred dietary approach or preference.

But whether you’re focusing on therapeutic keto, nutrient density, satiety, or a higher protein % for fat loss, they’re all pretty low-carb approaches.

In this article, I want to cover:

Why low-carb AND keto are great,
How you can tailor them to your context and goals, while
Avoiding some common pitfalls and the mistakes I’ve made.

Using a High Satiety Diet myself, with Protein around 40% and Net Carbs around 20%, or 50-70 grams net…that is still low carb! But it is not 20g total carbs because that did not work for me, and many of Marty's satiety studies show why one eats more calories when they go below 18-20% net carbs. Cutting carbs works until it doesn’t.. below 15% -20% carbs (whether by restricting carbs, fasting, or carnivore) many people are not satiated and will have cheat days or overeat fat, etc undoing the benefits of low carb. If I focus on eating healthy, nutritious vegetables, fruits, and low fat dairy, the carbs take care of themselves.

Posted the same day
Moneyball Nutrition: A Data-Driven Approach to Nourish and Satisfy You
https://optimisingnutrition.com/moneyball-nutrition/

Both of these new articles have links to each Diet and their best foods for satiety, and the option to get ALL the satiating foods lists for each approach, high protein, low fat, or whatever you like.
  #508   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 16:34

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Optimising Nutrition works for me, with Protein around 40% and Net Carbs around 10%, or 20-35 grams net. That is up from my ~5% net carbs & 30% protein that I found to work to keep me satiated from 2010-2022. But more than 35g net carbs doesn't work for me and causes me to crave & binge on carbs like it always has since I first tried Atkins in 1972.

A 5% increase in calories from carbs and 10% increase in protein may not sound like much of a difference from how I'd been eating, but with the focus of maximizing my nutrients I was able to lose a few pounds gained during Covid and feel more energized while getting out of the food rut I was in by trying more vegetables and a few vLC fruits.

Though I'd been eating mostly real, unrefined foods for >20 years of low carb dieting, I was interested in improving my nutrient intake to improve immunity & health and to avoid losing muscle mass as I age like many seniors do. At first I just followed Marty Kendall's writings, but after seeing JEY's success decided to do all three of his ON challenges (DDF, Macros & Micros) over the past year and would definitely recommend ON to anyone wanting to optimize your nutrition by nudging nutrients and protein higher, and fat lower in a way that causes no deprivation and allows you to qualify and quantify what works best for you.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Jul-20-23 at 16:51.
  #509   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-23, 04:47

Diedra,
What a wonderful testimony as to how the Optimising Nutrition programs work! Small adjustments from your "baseline", whether that is glucose, carb levels, protein, or some nutrients, until you find what works for you. No one need make dramatic changes in their macros, no deprivation. All changes are with a focus on providing the Nutrients that lead to Satiety.
  #510   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-23, 07:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
All changes are with a focus on providing the Nutrients that lead to Satiety.

I'm very impressed with Mary Kendall's system which. Knowing how our bodies are reacting to different things is a vital tool to help people customize their food plan.

Low carb was the first time I was able to consider the effect each food had, in that case, on my blood sugar. At one point I got DH and I taking blood sugars after our respective meals to demonstrate how his choices and mine had dramatic differences.

I think it got him through a mental block about "what is healthy" that all of us have to keep calibrated.