Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#166   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Debbie, I think Lisa gave you numbers for a 132 lb person.

No, I ran them for a 132 kg, normal-framed person.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
I'm not sure I understand so if I'm missing something please let me know. If the calculus says you should eat 60g protein, and you've been eating 85g and 100g protein - how is that 'in range'? You're eating 50-75% more protein than the program allows, and not enough carbs than the program calls for - though the fat does seem to be 'in range'.

haha, sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't started this yet, I've been doing Atkins the past years. For Atkins my carbs are in the correct range is what I meant.

Quote:
Almost. You can eat no more than 60g protein - true. You can eat between 90g and 120g of fat - but you must eat between 30-48 carbs after fiber is deducted. The exact proportions matter on this plan.

Lisa

oh wow, 30-48 carbns after fiber. This freaks me out too, since I've been eating mostly induction level carbs for ages :X

Thank you for explaining, I appreciate it! I have more reading to do so I know what carbs are OK. Keeping my fingers crossed for almonds
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
WOW, that protein amount is even far less that the amount I'd calculated based on my "due weight" per Dr. K's website.

Debbie, is that the homodiet website? As per my informational post (new thread) this afternoon, that's not Dr. K's site - it's the site of a fan in South Africa. Also, how did you calculate 'due' weight? Did you put in large frame or normal?

Quote:
That also works out to only 1257-1625 calories a day!

Not necessarily. I suggest you go read the information thread if you haven't already. It will explain why my suggestion made in my previous post to you stated that you could go to the second month fat level now.

Quote:
with numbers like this I'll pretty much have to be a hermit and *never* go to a restaurant to stay within bounds. My fave thing to do is go out to breakfast with son and DiL, but that would probably blow all my daily protein in a single meal.

You could do that - I save most of mine for evening - or you could order yogurt and fruit, or two poached eggs (add butter!) and actually enjoy either a slice of whole wheat toast piled with butter or the hash browns. If lunch, you could order a ginormous salad with a ton of blue cheese dressing and a small piece of chicken scattered on top. It's just a question of thinking about food differently.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to have to check out the number of grams of protein in things now. I have not paid much attention there other than to make sure I had *enough*!

Yep. I was the same way. But as Kris and I have discovered, this WOE is not only easier than I thought it would be, I am feeling incredibly more happy and energetic eating this way. I've clearly needed the extra fat, and my body has clearly been struggling to deal with all that protein. I know it's not true for everyone, but for those of us who have done every damn thing in the book honestly and still screeched to a halt, this is not only the answer - it really is the explanation.

Quote:
But when you reach goal do the numbers suddenly shoot up?

No. You'll weigh less, so you'll need less protein, not more. You'll never be able to eat sugar-filled cake and cookies and hundreds of carbs once you reach your goal either. This, like all LC variations, is a way of life, not a diet. But honestly - I could never go back.

Quote:
These protein limits are so low compared to what Dr. K says on his website about your protein limit vs. your "due weight".

Can you provide a link to this page, and say exactly where on it you figure our your due weight?

Lisa
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
oh wow, 30-48 carbs after fiber. This freaks me out too, since I've been eating mostly induction level carbs for ages :X
Thank you for explaining, I appreciate it! I have more reading to do so I know what carbs are OK. Keeping my fingers crossed for almonds

Almonds are good. If you haven't already read my other post on this topic (in a new thread in this forum) this afternoon, you should. It will explain a LOT.

Lisa
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:27

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Lisa, how many years have you been successfully following the Optimal Diet?

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-12-09 at 19:37.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taste test
I think that you mentioned that you're eating about 1700-1900 calories per day. I'm just curious how you're getting that high with calories without going past the middle with fat grams. It seems like if I keep my protein and carbs low, I have to go high with fat to get to around 1500-1800 calories.

Lauren, I'm already in my second month (as of April 9) so my fat gram range is 139-197. That puts my 'middle' at 168 fat grams. The other day I ate 1709 calories. Fat: 141. Protein: 56.1 (my max this month is 58). Fiber: 15.2 Total Carbs: 52.4. Net Carbs: 37.2. My net carb range this month is 35-46.

On Friday, I ate a whopping 1972 calories, of which only 185 calories (46g) were from protein - so I did go a bit past my middle to 176, but still below my 197g max. It was the next day that I lost a whole pound.

Quote:
I'd appreciate any feedback on this day's food intake if you have any.

Goal:
1400-1850 cal
29-46 NC
116-159 F
58 P

Actual:
1508cal
25.7 NC 10%
130 F 76%
53.7 P 14%

5 T. cream (with tea & coffee throughout the day)

breakfast:
3 oz. blueberries, ½ oz. coconut. ½ oz. macadamia nuts, 4 T. marscapone

lunch:
12 shrimp in pepper sauce, salad: lettuce, tomato, pepper, guacamole (about 4.5 oz)

dinner:
3 oz. 80% hamburger patty, ½ oz. cheddar, 3.5 oz. asparagus, 9g butter

snack:
29 g chocolate bar (91%)

This all looks very good. The only thing I'd advise is upping your net carbs a bit to make sure that, with the extra fat, you avoid ketosis. Like perhaps eating an entire avocado if you're only eating half. I eat a whole avocado almost every day, topped with olive oil. And maybe even upping your fat if you're hungry. If you're not, great.

But I will say again that counter-intuitive though it is, the more fat calories you eat, the more fat loss you will have. You want those stored spigots to open wide and burn away, and that will only happen if you're taking in so much fat the body feels perfectly safe in opening the fridge instead of guarding it zealously. And you actually burn more calories (and up your metabolism) when your body has to get rid of the excess. Clearly though, you need to do whatever feels GOOD to you. How does it feel, eating this way?

Lisa
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:42
Registered Member

Quote:
how many years have you been successfully following the Optimal Diet?

Please read the information K thread I posted this afternoon in this forum. It's all there.

Lisa
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 20:04

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Lauren, I'm already in my second month (as of April 9) so my fat gram range is 139-197. That puts my 'middle' at 168 fat grams. The other day I ate 1709 calories. Fat: 141. Protein: 56.1 (my max this month is 58). Fiber: 15.2 Total Carbs: 52.4. Net Carbs: 37.2. My net carb range this month is 35-46.

On Friday, I ate a whopping 1972 calories, of which only 185 calories (46g) were from protein - so I did go a bit past my middle to 176, but still below my 197g max. It was the next day that I lost a whole pound.

This all looks very good. The only thing I'd advise is upping your net carbs a bit to make sure that, with the extra fat, you avoid ketosis. Like perhaps eating an entire avocado if you're only eating half. I eat a whole avocado almost every day, topped with olive oil. And maybe even upping your fat if you're hungry. If you're not, great.

But I will say again that counter-intuitive though it is, the more fat calories you eat, the more fat loss you will have. You want those stored spigots to open wide and burn away, and that will only happen if you're taking in so much fat the body feels perfectly safe in opening the fridge instead of guarding it zealously. And you actually burn more calories (and up your metabolism) when your body has to get rid of the excess. Clearly though, you need to do whatever feels GOOD to you. How does it feel, eating this way?

Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I appreciate you taking the time to keep up with everyone and share your experience.

I really like eating this way. When I started doing LC, I was so protein deficient (I lived on apples and bran muffins) that it felt great to eat a lot of meat. As time went on, it started to feel excessive. I like eating high fat dairy, berries, nuts and a bit of really dark chocolate. After going out for lunch, I only had enough protein left to eat 3 oz. of burger for dinner and I thought it would be a problem but I did not get hungry afterwards. This is very encouraging! I'm a little afraid to up the carbs but I will do it- I think I'll try a small potato and some more buttered vegetables tomorrow. It is so nice to have some variety back in my diet. Trying zero carb was great for me in that I really got my insulin under control but this WOE feels a lot more natural and enjoyable.
  #174   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 20:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Lisa - One month? I've been following his advice, with tweaks to avoid gluten, casein & soy, for four years. I think you'll find that you may need to tweak it too, over time. The protein levels may be fine for sedentary people, but for those carrying around a lot of extra weight (not you), or doing a lot of exercise or manual labour, that a "normal"-framed person may need to use the larger frame size as a guide (when first starting out, since every step is like heavy weight lifting), and a bed-ridden normal-frame person may do better using the "small" frame size (since these are only variables that Calculus Victus lets you change easily). Tweaking carbs may also be necessary, depending on how carb-sensitive you are (more than 40g net sends me on a BG roller coaster, but then more than 20g net takes me out of ketosis). The very high fat levels have been the key to my success, after 35 years of HC & LC failures. Like you, I was shocked to find that eating more fat (& 1900-2000 calories), rather than cutting back (below my 1350-1450 cal "diet" levels), was what got my metabolism moving & normalizing, something I had never thought possible. I was planning to give up dieting entirely until I decided to try one last approach that I'd never tried - more food & more fat!

What works best for me in maintenance is P+10%/F/C-10%.

Dr. K's Polish website tells you to not to count vegetal protein toward P, and all his charts show total carbs (not net carbs), so I've always assumed that is part of why his (and Barry Groves') carb allotments are higher than the Eades' or Atkins' post-2001. Other than eating 300-500 more calories of fat per day, my net carbs and animal protein levels are very similar to what I was eating on PPLP, but being frugal, I never ate huge amounts of animal protein.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-12-09 at 21:10.
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 21:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taste test
I really like eating this way. When I started doing LC, I was so protein deficient (I lived on apples and bran muffins) that it felt great to eat a lot of meat.

You could be me! I'm the poster-child for How-Eating-The-Way-Conventional-Wisdom-Says-Makes-You-Fat-And-Tired! At my highest weight - 225 - I was subsisting (sure couldn't call it living) on 1200 calories a day, composed of 20% fat (7% sat, just like I was told), 70% 'complex' carbs, and 10% protein. That's 30 grams while eating low fat. No wonder my body fat was 53%!

Quote:
As time went on, it started to feel excessive. I like eating high fat dairy, berries, nuts and a bit of really dark chocolate. After going out for lunch, I only had enough protein left to eat 3 oz. of burger for dinner and I thought it would be a problem but I did not get hungry afterwards. This is very encouraging! I'm a little afraid to up the carbs but I will do it- I think I'll try a small potato and some more buttered vegetables tomorrow. It is so nice to have some variety back in my diet. Trying zero carb was great for me in that I really got my insulin under control but this WOE feels a lot more natural and enjoyable.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to buying Yukon Gold potatoes again - my favs. I won't be able to eat much, or often (my carb levels even in the second month are low) but you're right how much more natural this WOE feels. It's still LC, which I'll never give up - but somehow it doesn't feel restricted. Or maybe I just love whipped cream. :->

Lisa
  #176   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 21:54

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 150/115/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Lisa, I really enjoy this thread. I am the one who posted the ratio Merpig was referring to because I got them from Hyperlipid (Peter) after reading his blog and emailing him. Could you possibly post the numbers for me. I am 5'2" 130lb and 40 years old - I would like to get back to 115lb if that's possible but might be happy at 120lb. not sure about the conversion to metric. I only knew about Atkins as far as LCing goes until recently and was thrown into a headspin when I read some chapters of GCBC on Jimmy Moore forum. I was always a believer in beans and greens and fiber, soo this has all been a new revelation for me. Thank you for all the information and to everyone else as well on this forum. You all are truly great people, may we all live long and healthy lives.
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 22:02
Registered Member

Quote:
One month? I've been following his advice, with tweaks to avoid gluten, casein & soy, for four years.

This is great - now you can be the Guru!

Quote:
I think you'll find that you may need to tweak it too, over time. The protein levels may be fine for sedentary people, but for those carrying around a lot of extra weight (not you), or doing a lot of exercise or manual labour, that a "normal"-framed person may need to use the larger frame size as a guide (when first starting out, since every step is like heavy weight lifting), and a bed-ridden normal-frame person may do better using the "small" frame size (since these are only variables that Calculus Victus lets you change easily).

You may be right about the tweaking, but before I tweak I tend to try a recipe straight the first time. I needed to discover if after a two-year scale weight stall, this would really work for me. And I didn't want to have to wonder if it was the tweaking right off the bat that made it fail, if it failed. And believe me, I will be watching the protein levels carefully. I've worked too hard too long to build these biceps, so if I'm not eating enough protein for my activity level I'll know right away.

But there's another reason I decided to try this to begin with. Recent studies indicate that some folks who are insulin resistant, like me, simply cannot process protein in the face of high fat (and I think it's safe to call most LC diets that, even if they're not as high as K) the way normal people do. More of that protein than is proper gets turned to glucose, calls up an abnormal insulin response, and stores too much of it as body fat. And I believe those people (mostly women it seems), are the very ones who have good initial success with LC and then just . . . stop. No matter what they do.

I am definitely one of those people. I suspect Debbie is (from what she's shared about herself) is too. So even though we can tweak, and can do large frame and can do +10% -- I'm not sure that wouldn't ultimately cause us to either lose less weight than we would on K, or lose a tiny bit and then stall again. I believe really low protein for us is the way to go --- at least initially, so that we can become less insulin resistant over time. Keeping the fat and calories way up, with protein very low (and maybe lower than it strictly has to be) will keep me from being hungry, and may even finally heal my very abused metabolism.

Quote:
Tweaking carbs may also be necessary, depending on how carb-sensitive you are (more than 40g net sends me on a BG roller coaster, but then more than 20g net takes me out of ketosis). The very high fat levels have been the key to my success, after 35 years of HC & LC failures. Like you, I was shocked to find that eating more fat (& 1900-2000 calories), rather than cutting back (below my 1350-1450 cal "diet" levels), was what got my metabolism moving & normalizing, something I had never thought possible. I was planning to give up dieting entirely until I decided to try one last approach that I'd never tried - more food & more fat!

Amen, Sister! How much scale weight and body fat (clothing sizes, I guess) have you lost in these 4 years? How many protein grams per day do you eat in maintenance? I do agree about watching the carbs, but my tendency is to eat low anyway. On nearly 1700 calories today my net carb count is 34.4 - but I can't eat much lower because I go into ketosis at the drop of a hat, or maybe I should say by ingesting that extra spoonful of whipped cream.

Quote:
Dr. K's Polish website tells you to not to count vegetal protein toward P

That's interesting. My cream, coconut cream, fish and meat protein grams today were only 39, but my veggie protein added another 11, for a total of 50. That feels quite comfortable, but it's nice to know I can eat as much veggie as I want (I do love them, but have been very parsimonious this last month because of the protein count!) and the occasional steak and still be okay. Can you post a link here to the actual site? I can run it through Google Translation and see what it says and how it differs from the English one run by his fan in S.A.

Quote:
all his charts show total carbs (not net carbs), so I've always assumed that is part of why his (and Barry Groves') carb allotments are higher than the Eades' or Atkins' post-2001.

Ah . . . but in Europe all listed 'total' carbs ARE net carbs. That's how their food labeling differs from ours. They've already deducted the fiber. I lived in Europe for many years, and it took me a while to get used to it. So in this case the reason they're higher than Atkins or Eades is - they are actually higher.

Quote:
Other than eating 300-500 more calories of fat per day, my net carbs and animal protein levels are very similar to what I was eating on PPLP, but being frugal, I never ate huge amounts of animal protein.

Hmm. I did. Like many others I thought 'great, the one thing I can eat lots and lots of' -- maybe because you didn't you didn't develop the same problem accumulation of Branched Protein Amino Acids.

Thanks for sharing so much good info!

Lisa
  #178   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 23:02

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
. . . to everyone on this forum who believes they're too old to make their dreams come true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Lisa

Wow. That was amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.
  #179   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 02:21

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Fructose?

You have to be kidding.

Haven't you noticed all of the recent threads about fructose?

Even the professional journals for nutritionists are reporting about the DANGERS of fructose, and its implications in the obesity epidemic and the development of diabetes.

When you consume too much fructose you get all sort of problems and malasorption. The modern diet is loaded with fructose corn syrup and sucrose, hence there's an excess. As long as fructose is not excessive, it is simply converted to useful glycogen by the liver.
The body can't tolerate more than 60 grams of fructose. That's a ton of fruits and several tablespoon of fructose. But when you using like 3 grams to sweeten yogurt for example, there's no problem.
It's impossible to fructose to cause anything bad as long as it is metabolized. It's the excess that starts being converted to triglycerides and therefore promote insuline resistance.

The good thing about fructose is that on glucose intolerant people it doesn't affect neither insulin not blood sugars nor lipogenesis negatively (as long as you don't consume an excess that the liver can't handle)

Unfortunately many people with glucose intolerance, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, syndrome X, sugar sensitivity are negatively affected by artificial sweetener, because the body seems to react to the sweet taste and release arbitrary amount or insulin without knowing how much would be needed to process that stuff.
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 02:25

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It sounds like you're recommending a low calorie, low protein, low carb high fat diet.

I don't recommend low calorie diets, but of course I need to introduce less calories than I consume to lose weight. I can easily gain fat (measured as BF% dexa) by consuming an hypercaloric ketogenic diet. Fortunately on a low-carb diet weight control happens pretty easily, because hunger signals start working again and you eat the right amount for you.

Since heavier people burn more calories, my body is making me consume what will be the maintenance amount for when I will be lighter. What would be maintenance at a lower weight, means weight loss right now.

Last edited by DorianJ : Mon, Apr-13-09 at 02:50.
Closed Thread