Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-17, 04:13
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Janet, I'm glad you're better. I've got so much sagging skin, bruise marks, knicks and raised veins that I just ignore them if I can and wear long sleeves. However, I'll remember about wrapping if I get a huge one. We learn from the experience of others, right?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 23:24

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Couldn't find this thread for some reason.
I posted in the old one that some of us 70s and older posted in when we were much younger.
Here it is:

Thought I might try to bring this thread back to life.
It was started when we were in our late 50s, continued through our 60s, and now we are in our 70s.
There are some of us still on this forum.

At each age we have different problems with losing weight.
As we grow older it becomes harder.
As we age the reasons for losing change.
As we continue with this way of eating we have to make adjustments.
Some of us are no longer able to walk 10,000 steps a day as we did in the beginning.
Heck, we are lucky some days to walk to the bathroom.
But one thing always remains the same.
We want to be healthy.
We want to live life.
We love our grandchildren and want to experience them (if we have some).
We never give up and have made some good forum friends.

Today is the day to begin anew.
N2L
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 08:06

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I am still here, and hope some others join in. About the bruising. I think it must be hereditary because I rarely bruise. My MIL used to get those purple blotches on her arms, and now DH is getting them. I don't even bruise if I bump myself, and I am on a 325 Aspirin and Fish Oil daily. One time I decided to up my Fish Oil and I started getting faint bruises on the backs of my hands of all place. Went back to my usual dose and that bruising stopped. I have enough other medical problems without having the bruising, too. It sounds like the bruising isn't hurting anything except for being unsightly.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 09:05
Doing My Best

Now that we're into Summer, I'm only using one thing for my allergies now, and that's the Nasacort spray. I only use it if I wake up with a stuffed up nose. You know me. I don't like to use meds, so stop them asap.

I made a change which has helped me immeasurably. I've got two humidifiers now, one for the house and one dedicated to the bedroom. My dry eye condition is vastly improved. I think one of my eyes gaps open when I sleep, so this helps keep it moist. Sometimes I forget that environment also contributes to health issues, not just pollen.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 13:20

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Jey100. You asked about bruising. One doctor told me its from too many birthdays. A phlebotomist told me it can be from taking fish oil. I stopped the fish oil and it got better.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I am going to try that starting today, you and Carol both suggested it...removing the fish oil, nothing to do about those darn birthdays. Thanks.

I now have a small one but in such an obvious place that has never happened before...just under my lower lip so it looks like I was hit!
This will sound klutzy and maybe TMI, but I had marinated flank steak at a picnic Saturday. In the car home I was working to dislodge a piece of meat betweeen my teeth (gaps at gums another age-related symptom!) without a mirror. Somehow without feeling anything, but likely pressing down with the floss pick too hard, caused a blood bruise below the lip. Just as the ones on the arms are fading, I have this now. Need to buy a concealer.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 06:25
Doing My Best

Because others mentioned the fish oil, I did some research. Was surprised to learn that all blood thinners can lead to easy bruising. Who knew?
Quote:
ASPIRIN AND BLOOD THINNER LIST
This is a list of medications that have an affect on the blood clotting process.
Actron Damason-P Liquprin Presalin
Advil Darvon Lodine Profen
Aggrenox Dasin Lortab Relafen
Aleve Daypro Magnaprin Robaxisal
Alka-Seltzer DHC plus Marnal Roxiprin
Anacin Dia-Gesic Measurin Rufen
Anaprox Diclofenac Meclofenamate Salsalate
Anexsia w/Code Dipyridamole Mefenamic Saleto
Anodynos Disalcid Meloxicam Salocol
Ansaid Dolabid Meprobamate Soma Compound
A.P.C. Dolprin #3 Midol Sprix nasal spray
Artrotec Doxaphene Mobic St. Joseph
A.S.A. Dristan Momentum Sulindac
Ascriptin Easprin Motrin Supac
Aspergum Ecotrin Nabumetone Synalgos-DC
Aspirin Emagrin Forte Naprelan Talwin
Axotal Empirin Naprapac Ticagrelor
B-A-C Equagesic Naprosyn Ticlopidine
Bayer Equazine Naproxen Ticlid
Bexophene Etodolac Norgesic Tolectin
Bextra Excedrin Nuprin Tolmetin
Brilinta Feldene Orudis Toradol
Buffered Aspirin Fenoprofen Oruvail Trental
Buffaprin Fiogesic Oxaprozin Trigesic
Bufferin Fiorgen PF Pabalate Trilisate
Buffinol Fiorinal P-A-C Ultraprin
Cama Arthritis Strength 4 Way Cold Tablets Percodan Uni-Pro
Cataflam Ginko biloba Persantine Vanguish
Celebrex Gemnisyn Persistin Vicoprofen
Cheracol Capsules Ibuprofen Piroxicam Vimovo
Clinoril Indocin Plavix Vitamin E
Clopidogrel Indomethacin Pletal Voltaren
Combunox Ketoprofen Ponstel Zipsor
Congespirin Ketorolac Prevacid with Naprapac Zorpin
I apologize for the layout, which was in 4 columns.
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 08:12

Janet, I had a bottle of foundation that is a little darker from what I normally use, and I was using that in the summer for the appearance of a tan. DH stole it. Ha Ha He's using it on the purple blotches on his arms.

I think it might have something to do with your veins being close to the surface of your skin. DH's are very visible. Mine are very deep and are hard to find. The ones on my hands are visible, and that's the only place bruises show on me. Don't quote me....I'm guessing.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 09:57
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Janet,I think it might have something to do with your veins being close to the surface of your skin. DH's are very visible. Mine are very deep and are hard to find. The ones on my hands are visible, and that's the only place bruises show on me. Don't quote me....I'm guessing.
I see every vein from my knees down, zigagging across my shins. I see the veins on the top of my feet, and naturally, my hands. They stand up above my skin when I stand.

I used to bruise more easily. Now that my A1C is low, I seem to be okay.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 07:17

That's a possibility for me. Perhaps my veins would be more visible if I lost weight. I struggle with my A1c, though.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-17, 07:24
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
That's a possibility for me. Perhaps my veins would be more visible if I lost weight. I struggle with my A1c, though.
Carol, when I broke my plateau, it made a difference in my BS. I had been stuck for 6 years, even though eating LCHF. IF broke my plateau, then after a year of stabilization, I stopped eating dairy, and that has allowed me to continue to lose, even though it's only ounces over weeks. I believe I'm no longer insulin resistant and at my last blood work, my A1C was normal.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

70 1/2+ and new to this forum. Relatively healthy, take no drugs or vites, as confirmed by doctor. Have age-related aches, arthritis. Been on Atkins diet since Nov 2015. Lost 16+lbs initially but gained it back. Know I need to exercise more.
Hubby also on Atkins and he lost his weight and has kept it off. He is the cook. We truly follow low carb recipes. I am reassessing what I need to do to lose weight. 40 lbs!
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 10:23

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Welcome to this wonderful low carb group of people. It's become my home over the years. I think it was 2010 when I started on here. Look around at everything, post where you want to and have fun with it. I think you'll find some people that will help you stay motivated to get some more weight off. Have a terrific day . Myrt
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 06:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/197/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohare2
70 1/2+ and new to this forum. Relatively healthy, take no drugs or vites, as confirmed by doctor. Have age-related aches, arthritis. Been on Atkins diet since Nov 2015. Lost 16+lbs initially but gained it back. Know I need to exercise more.
Hubby also on Atkins and he lost his weight and has kept it off. He is the cook. We truly follow low carb recipes. I am reassessing what I need to do to lose weight. 40 lbs!

I'm new to this lowcarber forum and 70+. I turned 74 last month.
I'm also fairly healthy (but may be looking at blood pressure meds
after doctor this month. Trying induction to see if some weight loss will lower pressure.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 10:10

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Hacienda Happenings

I'll be 70 in 2 months. Not counting the days yet, but I know it's coming. I've been living in Mexico for 11 years and I love it. I'm healthy, no meds, low everything except I wasn't low carb. I live in a large hacienda type home with apartments called all inclusive. One rent pays for everything including two meals a day, six days a week. I never know what will be served at the buffet so I must choose from a variety of delicious options. It takes a will of iron, but when I look at the raisin bread toast, banana bread, fruits, potatoes, pasta etc., etc. and etc., I look away and tell myself, "Not today, but someday." I'm just tired of being fat. I love my life, but I'm not happy with me so that needs to change.