Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-07, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Default Super Duty Cheesecake

Though I love Bawdy's Cheesecake recipe, I crave a cheesecake that is heavier and has a wee more zip and substance to it. More like the traditional baked cheesecakes from my youth. Thanks to Bluesman on another web site, I found a recipe that I tweaked to be Low Carb....sorry, not safe for induction....but I suppose if someone was goinmg to cheat this would be a better way....not that I am condoning that....

But I now have two very good cheesecake recipes in my LC arsenal.....

SUPER DUTY CHEESECAKE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

CRUST
• 1 1/2 cups crust stuff (I use any combination of ground almonds/pecans/walnuts and flaxmeal)
• 3 tablespoons splenda
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
• 1/4 cup butter or margarine

CHEESECAKE
• 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
• 1 1/2 cups Splenda
• 4 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups sour cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl,
combine crust mixture, 3 tablespoons splenda, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix all ingredients well and press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form pan. (I use the cheapie aluminum tins from the supermarket)
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and splenda until smooth. Blend in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and salt. Fold in the sour cream.
3. Pour batter into springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cake in for at least 30 minutes.

While baking place a 9X13 pan of water on the rack below the cheesecake. This will keep it from burning and cracking.

Top with whatever your little heart desires......I generally use a mix of fresh or frozen berries and some of the crust mixture with a shot of DaVinci's SF Vanilla Syrup

I made on last night and it is to die for!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 14:29

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

This is the exact recipe I use...only I use one cup of sour cream and add a little whipping cream and some lemon zest. And I leave out the salt.

I'm like you, I like my cheesecake to be *really* thick and dense.

I've also experimented with different "add-ins" like different flavoured packets of SF Jello powder ...but so far, I like plain the best!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 12:11
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

I tried this recipe last night and I was very pleased with the results. It is a different texture than Bawdy's cheesecake (this one is indeed heavier). And it cooks up beautifully.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 18:00

Plan: general LC under 30/day
Stats: 225/155/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

A little afraid to ask LOL...
Do you have a carb count for this?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealme
A little afraid to ask LOL...
Do you have a carb count for this?

I don't have an official carb count for it, but without the crust it is very low, the same approximately as Bawdy's cheesecake as there are no real carby ingredients unless you use granulated splenda, but they are few. Liquid like Davinchi's syrups have fewer carbs than splenda so it is lower. The carb killer in this dish is the crust, but then that is just what about 2 tablespoons of ground nuts would be....maybe someone could plug it into some formula and tell me?

Oh and one would have to consider the topping, but the carb count is no mre that a few berries with some flax meal and ground nuts....like 1/2 teaspoon of the flax/nuts....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 04:34
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

ProfGumby - have you tried making this cheesecake with something like Sweetzfree instead of the grandualted Splenda? I'm sure taste wise it'd work, but I wonder if it'd have an effect on the texture?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 21:48

Revisiting this thread.

I have tweaked the recipe a bit. The crust usually now is about 1/3 to 1/2 flax meal and the sweetener in the crust is below 1 tablespoon now. I have also taken to using DaVinci's SF syrup to sweeten the cheesecake. This cuts the carbs substantially and there is not anti caking additive like Splenda uses.

Also, one can come up with some great flavors if you use a wee bit of Caramel or Berry flavored syrups and hazelnut syrup with caramel syrup produces an interesting cheesecake!

Whipped cream always makes a good topping and cuts the carbs too!

I am also thinking of trying Eurithrol (sp) or Xylitol (sp) both are available at the health food store and are very low carb. One is supposed to be better for baking, but for the life of me I cannot remember which one.....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 19:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/320/200 Female 57 inches
BF:
Progress:

Cant wait to try this... Thanks....(ear-to-ear smile)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 22:37

Stats: 215/195.6/172 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

How much of the sf syrup do you suggest using? I'd probably want to only use the liquid and would skip the crust, so im worried a 1:1 sub would be a liquidy mess. Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 23:16

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

thank you for this recipe! I will definitely be trying this when I'm off of my cheat free 90 days!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 12:25

I thought the 1 to 1 sub would be a little wet myself, but it didn't seem so. I did however cut down to 1 cup of sour cream when using the syrup as a sweetener. I also regularly skip the crust and just put a dusting of finely ground nuts on the bottom of the pan for a little extra flavor....