Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 08:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Supplements for dummies? (And on a budget)

Hi Everyone,

I'm one of those fortunate people who rarely needs to take an aspirin, so my knowledge of supplements or vitamins is nil. I've been reading posts in the "Supplements" threads, but I'm more confused than ever. All those unpronounceable words make my eyes glaze over. I guess what I'm looking for is a K.I.S.S. version of what's best for people in our age group (I'm 61) who are "financially impaired".

I told the pharmasist that I was feeling a major lack of energy and he recommended a B50 Complex Timed Release that I'm supposed to take in the morning, I think with food. I also mentioned to him that I thought I was supposed to take calcium+magnesium (according to Fitday, I'm only getting about 120 mg/day of calcium with food) and he recommened one with 333 mg calcium and 167 mg of magnesium w/20 mg zinc that I think I'm supposed to take before going to bed. (The writing on the labels of both bottles is so small that I can't read them.)

Just wondering what the rest of you are taking and why. Thanks!

judy

Last edited by jude : Sat, Aug-09-03 at 08:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 21:06

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

judy, welcome to the group! I was really hoping that someone would post and answer your questions because I could use some help in this area myself. We'll see if we can round up someone knowledgable to answer you. I'm sure we could find the answer in one of the books...but they all recommend something different!

We have an excercise group forming over on Chloesue's thread "Looking for ladies over 50". Come on over and join us. We have a lot of fun and everybody does something different. We'd love to have you be part of the fun and the moving will help us all.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:14

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I can't tell what you should take (I can't even figure it out for myself) -- but I will recommend going to iherb.com and pricing whatever you need. I've found this site to be the cheapest, plus they ship quickly and free (for a minimum purchase, so I always wait and have one big order).

Personally, I HATE take a pill, of any sort or type -- they seem to stick in my throat and then stay there -- and I can taste them for ages -- but I guess we need certain supplements...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:19

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

And for what it's worth, the supplements I take are:
  • Dual Tab (a huge multi-vitamin)
  • Potassium
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Glucosamine (for my aching joints)

I know I don't take everything that I should, but .... The postassium is necessary for the cramps that I get on this WOE, and somewhere I read good stuff about the magnesium (Atkins or Eades) -- and my gyn told me to take calcium.

I do like the glucosamine, can tell when I stop taking it -- when on it, I can bend over to clean the fridge; when I stop it, my knees hurt too bad....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:31

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i take a mutivitamin for seniors (no iron) vit b complex
vit. c & e, calcium/magnesium/zinc for general health and chromium gtf if i get cravings and glucosamine&chondroiton for arthritis
no added potassium as i'm on BP meds

Last edited by jesdorka : Tue, Aug-12-03 at 11:33.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:40
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

jesdorka gave you the basics that everyone LCing should have IMHO. Chromium and glucosamine are optional.

Every woman who is post menapausal should be taking at least 1600mg calcium with 800mg magnesium to prevent osteoporosis. 1000 and 500 for others.

I'm on BP pills too and my pharmacist said I must take potassium because BP meds contain a diuretic. So I take 3 99mg tablets a day and no more leg cramps or leg pain of any kind.

I take Centrum Silver, but take 3 a day to get to the amounts of nutrients that Atkins recommends. Also take 1000mg Vit C, 1 BComplex with Bioflavonoids, 400mg Vit E. We don't get enough of these vitamins in our diet. I take a lot of other stuff too but they are for my particular health situation.

I did a lot of research plus reading the Supplements forum to decide what I needed. I also got some good advice from a successful LCer who is an RN. I read her story on a web site and emailed her. She was very generous with her advice as most LCers are. The basic vitamins are not too expensive. You can find generic forms of all of them.

This is all just my opinion.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 07:43

BF:

Hi Barb, Jesdorka and Bonnie,

I apologize for not replying sooner (busy with work lately).

Thanks for all the info. I think the Centrum Silver might be a good choice for me as a multi-vitamin. I'm still taking (when I remember) the B Complex and the Calcium/Magnesium the pharmacist recommended, (although the dosage isn't anywhere near what you suggested,Barb) but I think I need to add pottasium, because lately I've been waking up with charley horses in my feet and legs (although as soon as I stand up, the pain disappears).

One thing I've noticed when checking prices is that if you might see something that looks inexpensive, but the recommended dosage is 3 a day. And, aside from the price, remembering to take 3 pills a day is a real chore for me. Then again, I guess if they put it all into 1 pill, the darn pill would be as big as a golf ball! lol

Sorry for the whining...but some things about getting older are a real pain in the a$$.

Thanks again...you've all been a big help to me.

judy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Can I join this over=50 group, too?

I take LOTS of supplements. IMHO, you may need more than a good multi. Most multis fall short of many nutrients needed as we age. Vitamins E (400IE daily) and vitamin C (500-2000mg daily) and selenium come to mind.
Even if you eat "fresh" fruits and vegetables, I am not sure what % of nutrients remains after days, and weeks, from harves to table..

See if your library has Prescription for Nutritional Haealth, by Balch. Obviously, it's also available at Amazon.com
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:32

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I agree with mariejoe. And don't forget it is is critical that your Calc tablets have D with them...or else supplement with it in non sunny seasons. When its sunny, you just need 20 minutes of sun exposure on the skin to get enough.

One of the most important supplements to take is ample omega 3 oil e.g. flaxseed, and fish oil. Read this:
"Omega-3 fatty acids may do more than protect the heart, say researchers from the National Institute of Alcoholism (NIAAA). Joseph R Hibbeln of the NIAA's Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics discovered that countries with the highest rates of fish consumption had the lowest rates of depression, while countries that eat little fish had the highest. Omega-3's benefits may go even further as Hibbeln also observed a similar relationship between fish consumption and homicide, suicide, and postpartum depression rates. The effect of fish consumption on the incidence postpartum depression appears to be dramatic - Hibbeln found that rates of postpartum depression are a staggering 50-times higher in countries where women don't eat fish. Hibbeln began studying the effect of omega-3 on neurological disorders in 1984 when he realized that nearly 60% of the brain is composed of fat. He believes that the change in the American diet over the last 100 years has had a dramatic impact upon brain health - since 1909 our consumption of omega-6 fatty acids has increased by 1,000-fold. Hibbeln suspects that the large amounts of omega-6 that we consume may be preventing omega-3 from entering brain cells and keeping the brain healthy. Hibbeln's observations have led scientists to begin studying the effect of omega-3 on a number of neurological disorders, including depression bipolar disease, ADHD, alcoholism, and Alzheimer's disease."

Val
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 21:35

BF:

Welcome to the thread Mariejoe and Val. All contributions welcomed, but, sorry, the last thing I want to do is read a book about the subject (my confusion just reading several threads on the forum was the reason I started this thread).

I would like more energy and it would be nice not to wake up with cramps in my feet, but that's it. I'm certainly not homicidal or suicidal or suffering from postpartum depression...I don't have bipolar disease, ADHD, alcoholism or Alzheimer's disease. Am I missing something? Is there another reason I should be concerned about omega-3 or 6?

I hope I'm not the only person who's looking for the K.I.S.S. version of vitamin and supplements to take.

judy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 21:44

Those listed are the ADDITIONAL benefits of taking omega3's...others include healthy heart and longevity...argue with that! Their importance cannot be underestimated.

Here is what I take:

Calcium and D
Ginkgo Biloba (circulation and better thinking/memory)
Flaxseed and fish oil (Omega 3)
Multivite
Zinc and magnesium (for cramps)
mineral supplement (for the rest e.g potassium)

I also take glutamate after gym workouts and am trialling L-carnitine for turtle metabolism

And finally, I take 5 HTP which is a miracle for my general aches and pains and sense of well being as it raises seratonin levels more naturally.

Val
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 21:46

Whoops...forgot Vit C...you can get nice sugar free lemon or orange flavored one to suck on as a treat.

Val
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 21:51

BF:

Thanks for the K.I.S.S. version, Val. lol

judy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 06:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Jude,
So sorry for sending you to do a bunch of confusing research. So, I'll do a KISS version of what I take, with amounts taken from my nutritional healing book mentioned earlier!

A good multi vitamin, with MINERALS,with or without IRON*
Calcium (1500mg)and D(400 IU)
Vitamin E (400-600 IU)
Selenium (200mcg)
Vitamin C(1500-3000mg)
Zinc (50mg)
Lecithin (200-500mg)
Magnesium (750-1000mg) This will help your cramps
Essential fatty acids(flaxseed, evening primrose & fish oil
(as directed on package)

*Iron should be taken ONLY if a deficieny exists Al;ways take iron supplements separately, rather than in a multi. Do not take iron with a supplement containing vitamin E.

I take E and selenium together in the morning, they are synergistic.
Magnesium and part of calcium at night to promote sleep.
Calcium and C are in divided doses.
I also take the multi in the nite dose.

It sounds like a LOT of pills, but I take three little tupperware container and divide my pills into morn, noon, nite doses to take with meals.
Good luck.
I hope this is not overwelming, but a good multi isn't enough for maintaining good health.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 16:07

Yes, I take Vit E as well and left it off my list..should have gone out and looked at it all rather than relying on my aging memory! You can get E with selenium..that's is in the one I take.

Val