Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#886   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 07:51
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
We’ve been talking it over and have decided to try one unrestricted restaurant meal every Wednesday and see what happens? It’s hard to believe that one meal a week would lead to the slippery slope that Eno and Denise mentioned. The only limitation we’re placing on ourselves is that the desert menu will be avoided if possible. Other than that, nothing will be off limits. I’m southern born and raised so biscuits and gravy, here I come!

This is the menu of our Favorite Restaurant .

Best to all.

Bo

I'm interested to see how this will work for you. I have been having an off plan meal about once a month or so. Usually Pizza since that is what I seem to miss the most. I don't ever have a problem getting back on plan. I do believe that is an individual thing.
I don't really feel deprived like you described but I have only been maintaining for close to a year. That might be something I will experience farther down the road.
I am up on the scales lately and believe part of my problem is the little things here and there that I have been eating.
I think you will do fine with this if you don't have a problem with getting back on track. I think while we are in maintenance, we should be able to have those foods we miss the most once in a while.
I hope your plan works out and be sure to keep us posted on how it goes!
Sponsored Links
  #887   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 11:31
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
Denise, thanks for your input. Can you tell us what happened- so we can all learn? ANd how you decided on your current strategy? You have done sooo great. How long have you been on this WOL?

I have found that alcohol- any alcohol- makes my weight jump up a couple of pounds overnight. I am limiting myself to 1-2 drinks/week this summer so I can see how I do that way. I love summer drinks like mojitos and margaritas.DH even grows mint for me to make fresh mojitos. But this year I'm limiting.
On vacation I did drink everyday- but I also walked for hours and hours. And I only had one drink/day- mostly wine or beer.
There was a popular diet book many years ago called the Rotation Diet- diet during the wek and eat what you wanted on the weekends. Wht the author did not tell the readers was that he ran and played tennis (for hours) daily- not just did the diet. It would not work for me- for me the insulin is the key.

edited.

I started this WOE April 1, 2006.
The second year I indulged in non sugar carb up meals (wheat) at a restaurant once a week and did okay. But after the major slip and fall in April - I got totally clean not only with sugar, white stuff, alcohol but wheat too. Taking a sabbatical from dating. Trying to focus on my spiritual and emotional issues this summer.
Denise

Last edited by lcgrrl2006 : Mon, Jun-02-08 at 18:27.
  #888   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 12:03

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
In my case, I'm finding that following the 80/20 rule is working well for me in maintaining my weight. So, as long as I'm good for at least 80% of the time, then the 20% of the time I eat off plan doesn't cause a problem. What I normally do is to stick totally to plan during the week, and then have either a meal or two out off plan (including dessert), or else some treats that I wouldn't normally eat during the week. Of course, I can adjust my plan to have a meal out during the week should I choose to do so.

Demi,

Where have you been all my life? I think I’m in love with your 80/20 plan.

Will let everyone know how the totally unrestricted one meal a week plan works out.

Thanks to all for the great tips.

Bo
  #889   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 07:20

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Demi,

Where have you been all my life? I think I’m in love with your 80/20 plan.
LOL Bo, hope you'll still be saying that tomorrow morning

Quote:
Will let everyone know how the totally unrestricted one meal a week plan works out.
You might also be interested to read what Tom Venuto, author of Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, has to say on the subject:

Quote:
The startling reason why you SHOULD cheat on your diet once or twice a week

We’re going to conclude this chapter on a note that will probably make you very happy. Paying attention to detail and eating healthy, natural, nutrient-dense foods most of the time is important. All the little things count, and if you cheat, it always has an effect on you. However, don’t worry about being strict 100% of the time. Food is one of life's great pleasures and when you deprive yourself of this pleasure completely, it can trigger almost overwhelming cravings.

Some cravings are physiological in nature, such as those brought on by skipping meals or eating too many simple sugars by themselves. Other cravings are psychological in origin. If you’re too strict on your diet all the time without allowing yourself any leeway for an occasional indulgence, you can trigger these psychological cravings. Being too strict all the time can set you up for serious cravings and bingeing (unless you have the willpower and discipline of a world class athlete.)

It's human nature to want what you can't have or aren't supposed to have. If you have an occasional hankering for junk food, go ahead and get it out of your system. Don’t deny yourself completely. In fact, if you’ve had a great week, you can and should consider your cheat meal as a well-deserved reward.

Designate a “cheat day,” perhaps one day on the weekend, and give yourself
permission to have one (or at the most two) “cheat meals" of whatever food you want, then get right back on your regular nutritional program. I do NOT recommend having an entire cheat DAY. I am suggesting one or two cheat MEALS per week. Depending on your body type, you may be able to cheat more often and still get results. However, don’t fool yourself into thinking that it doesn’t matter. Everything matters and every time you cheat you are slowing down the time it takes for you to reach your goals.

Promise yourself one thing right now: If you’re going to make a decision to eat
something that’s not allowed on your regular program, at least do it as a reward and enjoy it, don’t do it and feel guilty. If you’re going to feel guilty, don’t do it at all! Just remember that you need to eat good foods most of the time to get good results. If you eat five times per day, that's 35 meals per week. If 33 or 34 of them are perfect, then a "cheat" meal or two isn’t going to have a substantial impact. In fact, it might help. Here’s why:

Amazingly, if you eat a "junk food" meal once a week, this not only will satisfy
cravings and help prevent you from bingeing, but after weeks of low calorie dieting, a day of higher calories may even give a sluggish metabolism a boost. If your calories and or carbohydrates have been reduced for a prolonged period of time, your metabolic rate can begin to decrease. Once metabolic slowdown begins occurring, there’s only one way to speed up your metabolism and that’s to eat more. When you’re severely depleted, a cheat
meal can actually be like fuel in the furnace. It’s a welcome treat for most people, but more importantly it can actually give a sluggish metabolism a kick in the pants!

Tom Venuto, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle
  #890   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 03:46
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Another good article Demi. I have been doing this about once a month or so.
I wonder if I need to do it more often. Not sure I'm quite ready for once a week.
It might be something I could try, just to see how it works. I agree that one or two meals per week shouldn't have a substantial impact on our over all weight.
Thanks again for posting something so informative for us to read and think about!!
  #891   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
LOL Bo, hope you'll still be saying that tomorrow morning

Demi,

Woke up this morning with a big smile on my face.

Like Hayes, I really appreciated your Tom Venuto article. Lets hope he’s correct. Time will tell.

Best wishes.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Jun-05-08 at 12:24.
  #892   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 14:27
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

while I'm thinking about BoBo and hoping his experiment works, I am on my summer experiment. I said I would limit alcohol to 2 drinks/week. Since last Sunday (June 1- official start for me) I have had 1 mojito. A very good homemade one, but 1.
Just posting for accountability. I think my week starts again today- but no alcohol today. I'll see how it goes.
Up 5 lbs after going out for chinese and turkish and the drink- and lots of water as it is HOT. I hope it is gone tomorow.
E
  #893   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 13:51

I’ve been following Demi’s 80/20 plan for three weeks now and it’s not been easy. No problems with the 80 part but allowing myself to indulge in the 20 part has been very difficult. Old habits are hard to break. Sadly, my affair with Demi’s 80/20 plan must end. On the plus side, Judy’s 3 bite rule has stolen my heart so I‘ll survive.

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Mon, Jun-16-08 at 14:02. Reason: typo
  #894   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I’ve been following Demi’s 80/20 plan for three weeks now and it’s not been easy. No problems with the 80 part but allowing myself to indulge in the 20 part has been very difficult. Old habits are hard to break. Sadly, my affair with Demi’s 80/20 plan must end. On the plus side, Judy’s 3 bite rule has stolen my heart so I‘ll survive.

Bo

Good for you Bo!!

I think that we each need to find strategies that allow us to eat well, stay on plan most of the time...and still have an old favorite food once in while.
  #895   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 05:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Thanks for the feedback, Bo. You are smart to realize this is not for you and to stick with what works.

My alcohol limits seem to be making a difference- I guess I have to admit the summer drinks I indulged in the last couple of summers did play a role in my large weight fluctuations. So far this past week I have had 2 glasses of red wine- so within my 2 drink limit. I am planing a glass of wine tomorrow and something on Saturday- and that's my week.

My maintaining right now has been helped by the heat- with temps in the upper 90s I am just not that interested in cooking or eating! Lots of veggies and grilled meats.

Hope everyone is having a good summer-
E
  #896   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 16:02

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

I have an off plan meal once a month, regularly. And the occasional holiday I might stray a bit, but I find I tend to eat mostly low carb food and THEN indulge in a bit of a treat. It is easier to limit the carbs when I am already full.

Luckily for me alcohol only slows me down a tiny bit when losing, and so far hasn't really had any effect on keeping it off.

Although I still seem to be losing a little bit each week. The weight is going down a wee bit but my NEW clothes are getting loose and hard to wear when I get sweaty when at work.

#897   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 05:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Never mind, at least you tried it. Besides, we're all different and what works for one, may not work for another.

I think that the reason it works so well for me is that previously I would have a tendency to crash and burn if I was too rigid, and I would end up going totally off the rails for days, weeks, sometimes longer. The 20% is now my safety valve. I'm able to be strict with myself during the week, knowing that I can have a treat if I want it at the weekend (or whenever).

I have to say though, that I don't think it would be such a good idea to do it during the weight loss phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
My alcohol limits seem to be making a difference- I guess I have to admit the summer drinks I indulged in the last couple of summers did play a role in my large weight fluctuations. So far this past week I have had 2 glasses of red wine- so within my 2 drink limit. I am planing a glass of wine tomorrow and something on Saturday- and that's my week.
Alcohol really can make a big difference, so well done for limiting yourself.

Is anyone else like me though? I've found that a combination of low carbing and age have left me with quite a low tolerance level when it comes to alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengu1
Although I still seem to be losing a little bit each week. The weight is going down a wee bit but my NEW clothes are getting loose and hard to wear when I get sweaty when at work.
It can take a little while to adjust and find your maintenance level when you reach goal. You might need to up your current carb level a bit if you don't won't to lose any more weight.
  #898   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 22:34

Demi,

I’m still in love with your 80/20 diet concept. I, for some reason, just had a hard time allowing myself to indulge. Perhaps I’ve developed some physiological problems after restricting my diet for so long. I’m sure the plan works because I didn’t gain any weight following it. I just felt so darn guilty while enjoying it.

Thanks again.

Bo
  #899   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-08, 09:41
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Demi-
since LCing, I get very high on ONE drink. Wednesday I had a work thing at a really nice place for DH work- and everyone started in the bar. After a glass of water, I had ONE mojito. That was it for the night- and I was flying. The other women had 3-6 martinis (cosmos, appletinis and lemondrops). DH had a margarita and a tom collins and lots of wine. I swear I was more affected than all of them with my one drink!
I have posted about this and have been told it is because of depleted gylcogen in the liver? But it IS real for me.

Going out tonight- I will have water.
  #900   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 11:31

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi All. I finally made it to goal last week!!! WOOHOO for me. Well actually, I am .2 pounds away from goal but I figured that it was close enough. ROFL.

Anyway, I am adding back some exercise to my routine and I noticing huge fluctuations (2-3 pounds), probably in water weight cause I am NOT eating 7000-9500 calories, in my weight on the days after I exercise. It is crazy making!!!!

In any event, thought I would pop in and say hello to my fellow pre-maintainers and just plain jane maintainers.

So HELLO!!!