Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 10:13

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%
Default HCG pulled from the market?

I went to finally order some HCG after waiting 6+ months to try it and it was gone - poof - from all the internet pharmacies! The exact day I try to order it, it is pulled from the various "reputable" sites. I am so sad. I just have 15 lbs to go and have been stalled at the same weight for 3-4 months. I really need a boost and was hoping HCG would be it. I guess i can try the drops, if I can find some.

Anyone know what happened? One site claimed their banks wouldn't allow them to process orders for it any longer. Perhaps too many folks cancelled payment? Perhaps the FDA sent cease and desist letters and they are threatening legal action?

Unfair as doctors are still doing these injections for $1500 a cycle so it isn't like it is illegal. Plus I have not heard of any deaths or anything.

Anyone know what is happening and if there is still a place to get quality HCG?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 10:21
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Just my opinion, but if you starve yourself on 500 calories a day, you will probably lose the same amount of weight and save yourself a bunch of money.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 10:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yes, as of December 2011, over-the-counter homeopathic HCG products were declared illegal by the FDA. Here's the press release:
Quote:
FDA NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: December 6, 2011

Media Inquiries: Shelly Burgess 301-796-4651, shelly.burgess~fda.hhs.gov or Tamara Ward 301-796-7567, Tamara.Ward~fda.hhs.gov

Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA, FTC act to remove “homeopathic” HCG weight loss products from the market

Joint action is first step in halting sale of the products

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) today issued seven Warning Letters to companies marketing over-the counter (OTC) HCG products that are labeled as “homeopathic” for weight loss.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone produced by the human placenta and found in the urine of pregnant women. HCG is FDA-approved as an injectable prescription drug for the treatment of some cases of female infertility and other medical conditions.

The letters warn the companies that they are violating federal law by selling drugs that have not been approved, and by making unsupported claims for the substances. There are no FDA-approved HCG drug products for weight loss.

The joint action is the first step in keeping the unproven and potentially unsafe products from being marketed online and in retail outlets as oral drops, pellets, and sprays.

The labeling for the “homeopathic” HCG products states that each product should be taken in conjunction with a very low calorie diet. There is no substantial evidence HCG increases weight loss beyond that resulting from the recommended caloric restriction. Consumers on a very low calorie diet are at increased risk for side effects including gallstone formation, electrolyte imbalance, and heart arrhythmias.

“These HCG products marketed over-the-counter are unproven to help with weight loss and are potentially dangerous even if taken as directed,” said Ilisa Bernstein, acting director of the Office of Compliance in FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “And a very low calorie diet should only be used under proper medical supervision.”

“Deceptive advertising about weight loss products is one of the most prevalent types of fraud,” said David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Any advertiser who makes health claims about a product is required by federal law to back them up with competent and reliable scientific evidence, so consumers have the accurate information they need to make good decisions.”

According to the Warning Letters, the companies have 15 days to notify the FDA of the steps they have taken to correct the violations cited. Failure to do so may result in legal action, including seizure and injunction, or criminal prosecution.

Consumers and health care professionals are encouraged to report adverse events (side effects) that may be related to the use of these products to MedWatch, the FDA's voluntary reporting program, by calling 800-FDA-1088, or electronically at www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm1.

link

More information:
As far as I know, HCG is still available with a prescription from a qualified health practitioner.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 10:56

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am seeing a doctor next week who is going to order mine from a compounding pharmacy (the drops.) Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 12:40

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

HCG can no longer be sold in India and that's where a lot of the overseas pharmacies are. The Indian government has stopped the sales.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-12, 14:33

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

Becky - there are many ways to do the protocol - 500 calories is one but you can do more. It is experimental for sure, but I am interested in trying it for myself with an open mind. I have a very specific fatty area (middle section post 2 babies) that simply won't go away without drastic measures, lol, and so the HCG. If it works, great! I live a very low carb lifestyle so can maintain. If it doesn't work - I will try something else. No biggie.

I did find a source for the injectable HCG so will report back in a few months to share how it worked out for me.