Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:37

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Unhappy My Hospital Experience Low Carbing

I spent last week in the hospital with a severe viral infection, temps of 103, IVs, ice packs, dehydration etc.
Was put in Monday and by Tuesday evening after giving anti nausea drugs I was actually hungery and could eat.
They sent the dietician in because Im FAT and DIABETIC so that of course equals IDIOT to the medical establishment!
I told her I was on my own modified Atkins, YES I ate vegtables and fruit every day because she was under the impression that if you were on Atkins you only ate meat and fats???!! I told her I eat more vegtables and fruit now than before on "regular" eating plans.
That I walk now, that I went from 500 to 435 since starting. Everything just fell on deaf ears.
I got my first meal.......boiled carrots, boiled fish and a fruit cup. NO salt or butter, nothing just a packet of Mrs. Dash. It was gross but when you are feeling desperatly hungery that even tastes ok. Breakfast?
Oatmeal, English muffin and full sugar jam...........next meal? Chocolate cake, full sugar jello, pork chop and potatos.....well are you seeing the pattern here? I'm diabetic so they give me high sugar items, no salt or butter, lots of carbs and honestly I ate some of the stuff because there wasn't any other choice (skipped the cake, jello, potatos) plus they messed up my daily meds.
The whole experience, while the staff was very nice, of course the illness sucked (still very tired out, hard to take my walks again) but the
food was so bad. It just shows there is ALOT for the medical community to learn about this.

Good news though, when I got home there were my test results from my physical, my cholesterol was still the same but my tryglicerides went from like 580 down to 230 in just 3 months on Atkins and walking!!!!
I'm going to be tested again in 6 months to see where I am at.
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone and if you should ever find yourself in the same situation try to be as pro-active as possible but beware it might not make a difference:-(

Nibby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 06:03
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not sure if you menetioned that you were all well now...I hope so!!
How dissappointing that they could not work with you as far as decent food choices to accomodate your weightloss efforts.
But applaud you for what you have accomplished so far and commend you for trying to stick to your guns even when ill.

My daughter is currently in the hospital and its been hard for me since most times the only food I have access to is what she refuses to eat. And you can imagine that they are offering a 2 year old anything low carb *lol*

Well you hang in there and keep up the good work!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 23:39

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Nibby,

I just had a recent hospital visit too. There's really not much on the menu for a low carber even if they don't send in the dietician.

Hope you are well now! Your weight loss to date is very inspirational!