Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your favorite cardio video series!
The Firm 88 20.90%
Kathy Smith 26 6.18%
Richard Simmons 39 9.26%
Denise Austin 24 5.70%
Tamilee Webb 8 1.90%
Buns of Steel Series 6 1.43%
Gilad 10 2.38%
Taebo 90 21.38%
Kathy Ireland 0 0%
Cindy Crawford 6 1.43%
Jane Fonda 8 1.90%
Other 155 36.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: lean for life
Stats: 168/159/129
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question What is your favorite work-out video?

Just curious what people do and what people like to do!

I have always been on the hunt for new inspiring videos - even though I'm a member at a gym, sometimes its just boring to walk on that treadmill for hours and hours for cardio workout - I much prefer work-out videos at home - not to mention that I don't have to make a trip to the gym to do them.

I have not seen very many posts on the different kinds out there so wanted to start a new thread on that. What cardio videos do you own? Which do you do? Why do you like them/not like them? What level of fitness are they for? (It will be good to know the fitness level of your favorite video so that the rest of us can determine if it will work for us)

Of the many series out there what are your opinions on Kathy Smith, The Firm, Buns of Steel, Kathy Ireland, Taebo, Gilad and more...

Anyone?
Happy exercising!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power, BFL
Stats: 225/189/140
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Walk Away the Pounds

I exercise to a video named Walk Away the Pounds - 3 miles by Lesslie Sansone. I started out with her 2 mile walk and most days I even do the 3 miles in the morning and the 2 miles when I get home from work.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 15:23

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Reebok Core and Step videos ROCK!

The Reebok University videos are all great! Really motivational and artfully done without the cheesy music and bad filming usually reserved to fitness videos. Also the CIA series is excellent for those committed to serious aerobic moves (advanced), I used these to learn moves to teach step class on the side years ago.
Very challenging and fun to learn...
Nancy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 15:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/137/135
BF:
Progress: 97%

Kathy Smith has a really good weightlifting video and a good kickboxing video. I also belong to a gym and go 4 times a week, but I do her videos when I miss a workout. The weightlifting video is good if you are in a time crunch. She separates upper and lower body into two 20-minutes segments. I also have 2 Rodney Yee yoga tapes - strength and flexibility - and they are excellent. He is really easy to follow and the moves are good for beginners to intermediates. I have definitely noticed a difference in my muscle tone since I have been using them. It's fun to change things up a bit and tapes are great for that!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up The Firm, TB, and Dennise Austin

My fav is the firm, but I also will do TB and Dennis Austin(the ones that come on lifetime in the morn)

I love the firm cause it has the fast and slow cardio and the weights. I do need to start doing it again. I can get so additced to it.

\Well that is all for now, Lynn
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 12:22

Stats: 183/180/165 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default 8 minute abs

I recently added 8 minute abs to my LBWO for BFL. Oh my did I feel it. For 4 days I felt it.

Just seems like when you "feel" it, you get more bang for your buck. Ya know??
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:08

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

This is a great thread! We can get first-hand reviews of all the tapes available. Problem is, now I want to go shopping for them and try them all!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: lean for life
Stats: 168/159/129
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up Voting for FIRMs

Just wanted to add that I originally voted to Taebo and Kathy Smith but have recently been enlightened about the FIRM work-outs. I had tried one of them a very long time ago and could not stick with it because it was an hour long work-out and seemed so difficult. But recently I started taking fitness very seriously and I would now have to say that there are simply no work-outs out there that are as effective and that bring results this quickly!

I loved taebo and I still do because Billy is SO motivating - FIRM instructors just assume that you are already taking the work-out seriously and don't need to be reminded about how great your butt will look when you are done - instead they concentrate on giving exceptional cueing and the work-out is very thorough and well researched - tough but AMAZING results - my body is becoming so strong and toned I cannot believe it!

Pegm, I wanted to suggest to you to try www.collagevideo.com for very detailed fitness video reviews. That way, you will know what you are getting before you spend your money on videos. Also, I personally always try to rent a video first to decide if its for me. Any exercise is better than no exercise of course, but some tapes are better than others. I would suggest taebo for someone who needs a very motivating instructor to keep going - and I would DEFINITELY recommend the FIRM tapes to someone who wants to see results fast - I have done over a 100 different work-outs in my life-time and I don't think any of them showed me results this quickly - the FIRM tapes I do (original series and cross-trainers) are tough and long, but SOOOOO worth it - I would rather spend my work-out time doing them than spending 3 times as much time on other work-outs for similar results. I'm hooked
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Favorite video, easy....Dorian Yates "Blood & Guts" workout
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:36
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I stumbled on this thread....glad I did. I get so bored with a "usual" routine...then I quit. YIkes! I'm going to go buy a couple of these tapes...thanks for the great reviews!

hugs...cin
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default And the winner is........

"Blood & Guts Workout" by Dorian Yates, 5 time Mr. Olympia
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 08:36

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I dont use exercise videos often but I stumbled across this review and thought I would post it for those who do!

Cheat Sheet: Fitness Videos

Do home workout videos work out? Some recommendations ...

NEWSWEEK

July 29 issue — Sometimes you can’t make it to the gym. Tip Sheet’s Eric Messinger ranks some chart-topping fitness videos on Amazon.com. (Scale: one to four.) Get ready to sweat.

:08 Minute Abs Nine tummy-trimming exercises done in 45-second intervals. But you won’t see real results unless you find time to work out the rest of you. **

Pilates for Dummies Pilates strength-building mat exercises can be tricky, but in half an hour, this clear video takes you through 18. ****

Living Yoga AM/PM In the morning, the sun rises over a beach as you relax, meditate and pose. Later do more poses and workout stretches while night falls in Death Valley. ***

The Firm: Maximum Body Shaping A high-energy, action-packed 45 minutes of strength training and floor routines. ***

N.Y.C. Ballet Workout Company dancers review their 90-minute warm-up. You’ll never be as graceful as they are, but it’s worth a shot. **
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:06

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

For cardio, I prefer dance videos that are more about dance than about workout. My current faves are bellydance and salsa. I've even seen a sort of hip-hop one that I'd consider. For specific muscle groups or toning this or that, I just go to the gym.

Cheers,

Friday
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:44

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I do my cardio up hills, with the dogs, and my weights at the gym, but I thought I might like yoga or Pilates for flexibility etc and those long, lean muscles the people in the books are covered in.
But when I try learning them from the books I get to page three, do the (upside down) move, can't read the next instructions upside down, lose my place and fall over, get a fit of the giggles and there's my good intentions gone west again!
So maybe a video is a better way to learn - I could watch, then try it - fewer things to concentrate on, I might manage that. I shall have to check one of two of Fern's list out.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 13:32
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default karen voight

No one mentioned Karen Voight! I really recommend her Great Weighted Workout (90 minutes) or her Cardio Strength. Good stuff!