Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question cross country flight, what do you bring along to eat?

HI all,
wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I am in OWL of atkins, but I eat less than 20g Carbs and keep cals under 1600/day. My question is, I am flying to visit a friend this weekend and my DH and I need to leave our apt at 330 am. There is no time for me to make breakfast (as in, I dont want to get up 20 mins earlier!) So, what should I bring to eat? We get into seattle 11 hrs later! (im sure I cant eat whatever food the 2nd flight is serving)

I haven't been eating the bars or shakes as I was getting very addicted to the advantage bars. Do you think it is ok if I get s few so I dont go crazy? (I often get ill if I skip meals) I wasn't sure if the airlines let you bring non-commercially wrapped items/open items on flights again? If they do then I can come up with something.

Thank you all!!!!I promise to be as good as posible on my trip (promise I wont cheat on carbs, but cant promise I wont go a little high on cals!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 08:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Airlines will let you bring your own food - I always have even before LCing - I find the airline food has a "funny smell" - probably me though.

Hard boil some eggs the night before for breakfast, have some cheese and some berries, that should get you over the 3:30 hump. For the plane, bring natural full fat yogurt - that's the only kind that is allowed, more cheese, some deli meat and dip - a few suggestions to help you.

Have a good trip.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:41

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool Air line food

Call the airline and see what types of special meals are available.(these are no extra charge) Order the one that will give you the most options to eat. These are often prepared fresh for the flight and may be more tasty. Also you know what you are getting and can supplement from home. ( I was just reading an article about this recently). Have a great trip.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:03

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I'd definately plan to bring food, bec I think a lot of flights only have beverage service. You can find out by calling the airline in advance.
Also, if you want a special meal (I think I read kosher is the best for this WOL-- but am not sure), you need to call at least 24 hours in advance to tell them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:18

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Nuts, pepperoni, veggie sticks, LC jerky...

Nikki
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:26

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face airline food tips

I just got back from a cross-country trip myself. My DH had roasted a chicken the night before-we ate half for dinner, took the other half, along with some cheese & berries. I always travel with the Atkins bars also, b/c you never know when your routine will be completely change around-not to mention the time zone thing-and you may not be able to get to the health foods you need to eat.

You can also bring fresh veggies to snack on during your flight. I love fresh broccoli and cauliflower myself.

Just think outside the box, and pack a bag to carry on the plane-mine usually also includes a book to read and some water (the air on the plane is very dry).

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:26
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I travel across the country about 3 or 4 times a year and find it's much easier and cheaper to bring my own food. I take unsalted nuts (to prevent further dehydration from salt), a couple LC tortillas with cream cheese and slices of chicken or smoked salmon wrapped in them, one or two Advantage bars (if you limit the number, you won't go crazy on them), a Diet Rite soda - which can be warm, just ask for a glass with ice, a bottle of water, maybe some berries. I try to eat the most perishable food first. And most airports, if you have a long enough layover, will have a fast food place that you can grab a burger and toss the bun. Some even have slightly fancier restaurants that will serve a decent priced caesar or chef salad ($7 to $10). You can prepare most of it the evening before and put in Ziploc baggies. Remember to grab them on your way out!

You are coming to Seattle at the right time. Most of the rain has fallen!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:30

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks all. I was under the misconception that you couldn't bring food that wasn't packaged commercially (or open) on flights. If I can bring my own stuff than I am fine and have no problems with ideas! Thanks for helping me clear it up. Does this mean I can bring my own coffee? I remember hearing about those drunk pilots who couldn't bring their coffee through screening? Maybe all this was changes again! Way to make it confusing!

Yeah, I hope it stays not rainy!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:47
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think if you bring an empty coffee thingy - sorry can't remember the word for the thing that keep the coffee hot! - and buy some at the coffee shop in the airport after you pass the security check, it should be ok. Or you could drink the stuff on the plane.